Has the Identiy Verification process changed?

Katharine-Kelly0
Level 2
Arkansas, United States

Has the Identiy Verification process changed?

I just got two booking requests in a row from guests without verified identities. We've been hosting for under a year, but have never had this happen before. Has Airbnb done something to change the process when users create a new account? I messaged both guests and requested that they verify. One did so after his booking request expired. I am still waiting for a response from the second, but it appears that she will do the same.

22 Replies 22

@Emilia42  I don’t use Instant Book, but thanks for confirming that guests are required to upload ID when making a Request to Book when the box is checked. Every little bit helps. 🙂 

@Pat271 Another tidbit - when you get the e-mail altering you to the Request, this info should be available within the body of the e-mail:

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 7.00.09 PM.png

@Emilia42  I just got a request last night, and here is the relevant part of the body of the email:

C7FE2BDB-3C00-49EE-9DEE-85CA744FD126.jpeg

I wonder if this differs by country.

Pat

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

While Airbnb seems to think that removing any barriers to guests by not requiring that they have actual face photos, allowing them to try to book without having first had their payment method verified, and their ID verified, what they are actually doing is a disservice to guests. Because hosts will often decline bookings from guests like that.

If they required guests to upload all their info and write a short profile, before being allowed to try to book something, that would be much better for both hosts and guests.

Just as it takes about 24 hours for a new listing to go live, newbie guests should be required to submit all their info and have it verified before they are cleared to book.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Katharine-Kelly0 

unfortunately, having verified ID on Airbnb means nothing to hosts. If the guest steals or trashes the property Airbnb will not give his personal info to the host or to the police.

The only way to know who is having the keys to your property is to ask your guest to show you his ID. You can take a photo or write down his name and everything else and keep it until his check out. In many countries including mine, this is mandatory and I am happy it is.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  That is true to a certain extent, but I still feel a little better knowing the guest has made the effort to submit an ID.  False sense of security? Maybe.

Agree 100%, Pat. It is not a big ask. When politics get involved, common sense goes out the window.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC