Have any of your guests become friends?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Have any of your guests become friends?

Guests become friends.jpg

Hey there,

There’s many wonderful stories here on the CC about fantastic hosting experiences with great guests. With such developed rapport between the two parties, commonalities, interests and likes must inspire some great conversations.

Do you still speak to any of your old guests or hosts? Have you become friends or pen pals?

I’ve spoken to some of you about this before so I think some of your stories would be delightful to share with your fellow contributors.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

53 Replies 53
Silvana136
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

Interesting as I recently connected to past guests who popped up on social media purely for the purpose of letting them know about our special offers or staying top of mind. Isn’t that the point of growing a business?  But I did feel uncomfortable and I even asked my daughter, “isn’t this a bit stalker-ish?!”.  So I hope I’m not stepping on their toes. I guess they have the choice of accepting the request  or ignoring. 

In terms of friendship, I don’t get to greet my guests except on rare occasions due to distance. But my approach is to personalise every stay, leave notes and so on. I’ve had some guests who’ve rebooked saying they feel like they’re coming back to a friend’s house. 

An-Maré0
Level 6
Cape Town, South Africa

I have made wonderful friends. I share my garden with my guests and got this surprise last week. I gave them some clippings and they created a memory in their own garden - this is so special!  Theu planted the clippings in a beautiful pot and send me a photo - reminding them of the good times in Cape Time.

We've encountered the same.  We had three sisters who take their mom out on her birthday to a different B&B each year.  I dug up some of our flowering plum trees from the garden and they took them home as a momento of their trip. It meant so much to them that they've decided to stop trying other B&B's and have booked with us for next year.  By the way, the subtitle of our B&B is " secret garden cottages."

In my second month with Airbnb I had the pleasure of hosting a young woman from Michigan who was here bc apparently we have a nationally known fertility clinic in town. Something I didn’t know existed till I started hosting guests from all over who come to use this clinic. Anyway, she was here for 17 days, the first week on her own with just her dog and husband arrived a few days later. I sort of expected she would need a substitute mom and was happy to step in. We really bonded that first week before her equally delightful husband arrived. I adored her dog and we all quickly bonded. We rode the emotional roller coaster together and I learned the ups and downs of the desired goal.

Unfortunately I’ve seen her again, as I have a few of my fertility challenged guests. We are Facebook friends and text or chat regularly. It was a very unexpected perk of my early experiences with Airbnb. I believe the universe provides and we were meant to become part of each other’s lives. 

I think it was the summer of 2012. I always have trouble remembering the dates, even some important ones like my school exams, college graduation, birthday, engagements ... That summer Fabio, my then-boyfriend, and I flew up to Berlin and ended up at the house of a boy named Stefan, an AIRBNB host, and his girlfriend Sandra.

Large bright apartment at Kollwitzplatz. A whole month spent together. A quiet place of joy and laughter. Pleasant evening conversations and long silences that meant all and nothing. Italy-Germany, little clashes of civilizations. A chance encounter became a long and deep friendship.

A few years later we’ve talked about this so many times, like an unforgettable experience, a period of unconditional happiness poured upon us. "Unsere Berliner Freunde" they repeated: our Berlin friends.

We were jealous of Stefan and Sandra, but deep down we were jealous of Berlin and the Wim Wenders’ two angels over the city. We were jealous of our exclusive relationship with that city that we felt like an unknown land that we discovered together with them, day after day.

The Judischer Friedhof, the Jewish cemetery with its ivy-covered tombs, the sidewalks littered with stolpersteines, thousands of brass stumbling blocks with the names of the victims of Nazism, the Berlin Wall Memorial, Bernauer Strasse, a street that epitomizes the ideological division between East and West. A portion of the wall still intact, the watchtower, a border between two worlds, two civilizations.

One evening we got into the legendary Berghain, the most closed underground club in the world and at the same time the most famous. No selfies, no videos, no photos. And all of it strictly forbidden. We stood in line for two hours together with hundreds of people before we step into its interior: a dirty tower which once housed a power station: steel stairs, concrete walls, dark hallways, the ceiling so high that you never see the end of it.

On the day of departure, our friends were crouched down in front of their door. With big colored chalk pencils, they wrote on the tarmacked path: "Friendship Is Powerful, More Powerful Than Death”, simply making us smile.

But the funny thing, the crazy thing is, that on the way home I felt a strange, irrational emotion which had nothing to do with nostalgia, but rather with jealousy, the suspicion that other guests would take a place in the heart of our friends. Other people Stefan and Sandra would eventually write to a few more ironic or romantic sentences on that tarmacked path.

At Christmas time Fabio was surprised to get a vocal message from Berlin saying that Stefan and Sandra would come to see us in Milan: "Fabio, mein lieber, wie geht’s dir? Emily?”, “Fabio, my dear, how are you? And Emily?” Stefan exclaimed without hesitation, his voice brought back so many memories. It was like the Gotye's concert at the Tresor club, the last concert we saw together, had been the night before.

The time for a kiss, a hug on a cold winter evening in Milan. I closed my eyes, there was no disappointment, vanished with jealousy. The morning after, I felt light of heart. Friendship is powerful, more powerful than death.

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

Oh yeah! Met Alex and we whined how all our friends wont travel so I found myself a new travel buddy. Went to Panama, Peru and Norway over the past few years. Going on a cruise in December 🙂

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What an amazing story @Zappa0 ! Where are you cruising to?

Thanks

-----

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Even though I try to keep my distance, I'm just keep on making friends because some people are just too interesting too ignore😂

One of my former guests is now a tenant of ours in our new home, occupying a finished attic studio. He was living in Vegas when he stayed with us through Air BnB, then moved back to Milwaukee after falling on hard times. We give him a space to say so he can save up to get out on his own. Calls us his "Friendlords".

Sarna0
Level 2
Hamilton, New Zealand

I became "friends" with two of my previous guests.  I say "friends" because both sets of guests asked me to host their rental investment for them, so maybe more of "clients".  I had a great experience hosting for them, but it is important to keep the lines of professionalism up. I fell slightly victim to being used by one of the "friends" and it actually destroyed my superhost status for a period, her demanding (as friends) that I cancel on many guests last minute due to personal problems she was having. It was a very tough time for me, as that is very very much against my policy!

Claire565
Level 3
St Leonards, GB

Yes, I had a lovely guest with a dog come and stay whilst house hunting in the area and at the time my boyfriend was seriously ill in hospital in a town 30 miles away. The second time she came to stay, she waited up for me, to make sure I was okay, I thought she was so kind. On the same day I had lent her a portable charger for her phone, as she was waiting with great anticipation to see if her offer had been accepted on a flat nearby. It was, and now she lives 5 minutes away, and we enjoy a drink on her seafront balcony. Do yes, you can definitely make friends by hosting. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's an amazing story, thanks so much for sharing @Claire565 !

-----

Vera169
Level 2
Yellowknife, CA

Yes, a few guests turn into real friends after several repeat visits.  Most guests are just friendly and kindly send us their friends and relations to stay, which is lovely but not real friendship.    

Nabs0
Level 1
Muscat, Oman

I do have one unusual story. 

I had a German couple come to stay, and I invited them to join me one night. I support Liverpool, and I organise the local fan group. We gather in a sports bar to watch Liverpool games, so I invited the couple along. I always extend an invitation to my guests for my social activities. Some come, some don't

This couple came to the bar. Liverpool were losing the game 0-1 when the boyfriend went to the bathroom. By the time he came back, Liverpool had scored 2 goals. The score was now 2-1. Of course, we all joked that going for a pee was our lucky charm

And the score stayed that way for about 30 mins, until the boyfriend went to the toilet again. By the time he came back, Liverpool had scored another 2 goals. It was now 4-1, and my German guest was now the most popular person in the bar, with all my friends buying him drinks. By the end of the game, he had to go again to the toilet, and Liverpool scored once more!

It was 5-1, and when he came back from the toilet, we all screamed that he had to go back to the toilet until Liverpool scored again. It was all taken in great humour, and the couple had a great night.

And so now, when ever Liverpool play, and we really need goals, we message the couple to make sure the boyfriend is really hydrated. And for really big games, the couple will go to a sports bar and drink lots just to support Liverpool!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'm a Spurs fan so I think I know which match that is. Anytime Chelsea or Arsenal are getting thrashed is great news so I'm a fan of you guest too @Nabs0 !

-----