Have guests been tougher this year?

Anneke-And-Jim0
Level 3
Peekskill, NY

Have guests been tougher this year?

I came to this platform to see if anyone else is experiencing what we have been experiencing in the past year as hosts.  We have been Superhosts for several years and bend over backward to make our guests as comfortable as possible.  This past summer has been super stressful with guests seeming to complain about the smallest things. We feel that our description and photographs detail our homes so that people get what they expect. I communicate well with all my guests and take care of any issues immediately. In the past month, people have been giving more 4 star reviews without really giving a reason. In the reviews, they say everything is wonderful and comfortable. Why four stars then???  

Jim and Anneke
Jim and Anneke
30 Replies 30
Angela298
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

I am experiencing the same and I can completely relate, I’ve had a lot more dissatisfied and stressed guests in my home and have found very little in the way of support and help. I believe that it’s the pressure on peoples mental health during the pandemic that’s caused more complaints. As a super host expectations are high but in my opinion my co-living home and glowing reviews also attracts a lot of guests looking for help in more ways than just accommodation. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Anneke-And-Jim0 yes for me, especially our summer guests. As I said in another post, summer used to be families on break and couples. This past one has been all manner of issues.  Unpleasant communication. People who couldn't use the keypad lock half the time (but could the other half.) Unauthorized parties.  Picky,  generally unhappy folks with a lot of unactionable hyper specific "feedback." 

Going into autumn we have had some truly lovely guests so I'm hoping this trend calms a bit. 

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Anneke-And-Jim0    While most of my guests this year have been really nice,  and appreciative of the space, there are those few that seem to be aspiring bloggers and reviewers for Traveler Magazine. 

They'll write glowing remarks about the amenities I do have, then lament the lack of amenities my listing says I don't offer.  Someone issued a "come prepared" warning to others about lack of a grinder for coffee beans.  I never considered one since I don't provide coffee beans.

Most recently, I had someone nitpick over the number of guests my place sleeps - "technically" it sleeps more than the maximum occupancy allowed by our City fire code, and, apparently, a daybed with a pull-out trundle is now only one bed.  4 stars overall, 3 for accuracy. 

Actually, along with Covid-pressure affecting people, I think it also has something to do with higher expectations being set by "Superhost status" and a lot of great reviews. I've been in and out of Superhost status, and the nitpicking tends to fall off when I'm not a current Superhost, although it doesn't affect bookings in any way.    

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

I’ve had a real wobble this month with a horrible guest who knocked my confidence.  I need to pull up my big girl pants up and stick my chin out. 

I think the comment @Angela298 made about mental health is spot on.  It’s affected guests and in turn hosts.  I’m constantly anxious when I have guests booked in now - waiting for a problem (perceived or otherwise) or a poor review.  I’m absolutely shattered  - I also think Superhost adds even even more stress. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Well, at the very beginning of my hosting I noticed how happy people leaves great reviews while those who arrive unhappily will stay and leave unhappy and then blame the host for their miserable stay, vacation and life in general.

With covid restrictions, closed night clubs and lack of concerts and events the guests are staying more inside and out of boredom start to notice things they wouldn't otherwise notice at all.

Our ratings also dropped and all hosts from my neighborhood said the same.

And the type of guests also changed a lot + their stays are longer than before. Before they were on vacation and now they stay for quaranteene and other covid related purposes, or work / intership and similar...

I rent a room in my home which I'm in with my 2 poodles which by the way I have noted in my listing along with numerous pictures BUT I get people that book and are afraid of dogs.  WTF if your afraid of dogs then move on.

I had one couple last week his wife was very afraid and knew there were dogs living in the home but still booked WHY I have no idea.  I had to lock my girls in the bedroom when they were around, these dogs are very friendly and it states that in 99% of my reviews how sweet they are.  I sent them a personal message stating they should stay someplace else if they are afraid of dogs it's not fair to the owner and the dogs.

I found that guests are staying in the room 60% of the time WHY no TV in the room I live in a Resort go enjoy what the Resort has to offer.  I don't get it.

@Val76  I state on my listing, "DO NOT BOOK HERE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO OR AFRAID OF DOGS".

Heidi664
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

This thread was helpful… I’ve been hosting more full time now and I thought Airbnb was only sunshine and butterflies.. I just dealt with two back to back guests and Airbnb just adding salt to my injury. 

i do the usual gift basket and get every request sent to them on time.. my property speaks for itself.. so for that to not be enough… and to deal with theft… I just can’t deal.. there were rules to follow with claims that I didn’t know about.. no one was forgiving.

@Heidi664  I'm sorry you had this thief guest. 

Yes, you really need to inform yourself about Airbnb policies, because iif you don't follow them exactly, they will deny you. There's nothing warm and fuzzy about this company, despite their rhetoric.

I was wondering why you have 2 duplicate listings on your profile. I'm assuming the one that has reviews and a 3* rating is because that jerk gave you a 1* rating. I would suggest that you start over, because you will never be able to get that rating up again for years.

A couple of suggestions. Your listing description and some of your other wording, like "I will not be contacting you during your stay" should be changed, IMO. The description just reads like a real estate ad and while you may just be trying to reassure guests that their privacy will be respected, between that and the listing wording, guests can get the idea that this is just a faceless rental that they can do anything they like in, with no oversight.

Try to make your ad more personal. Give guests the idea that it's someplace you care about, not just some investment property. Don't say you won't contact them- you should in fact contact them. Send a message after check-in, asking if they settled in okay, asking them to please contact you if they have any questions or issues. Send another message the afternoon before check-out, saying you trust they've had a nice stay and reminding them of check-out time and any check-out instructions. Guests tend to be more respectful when they know there is a human nearby paying attention.

If you use Instant Book, turn it off  so guests have to send you a booking request so you have the opportunity to read any reviews they have, and communicate with them to determine uf they seem okay, or send up red flags. (The one review that bad guest had was from a property managed listing- you can discount those reviews- they leave non-informative nice reviews for everyone).

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Hi @Anneke-And-Jim0 

Background: We home-host in Newcastle upon Tyne in the north-east of England. We started hosting again in July and since then have had around 12 stays.

In answer to your question: No, our guests haven't been tougher recently (they've been fine). I'm sorry to hear that yours have. I've heard this to be the case, though I'm at a loss to understand it. I mean, so many of us have been in lockdown, unable to travel etc. for months on end... Wouldn't you think that, once we were finally able to go places again, we human beings Would. Be. Grateful. For such things?

Then again, I have no understanding of the “entitled” frame of mind...

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

Yes, I do think people in general are more unhappy.  I have had my fair share this season. 

From one guest who wound down the window of his car on arrival and muttered "I thought going on holiday was meant to be fun" I hadn't even had a chance to say Hi !  Gave me 4 stars because he never gave 5, there is no such thing as perfection apparently. 

My friend also had a guest who packed up said goodbye and proceeded to sit on the driveway for 20 mins.  When my friend went to check they were o.k. and to ask if there was a problem.  There response was "we have paid until 10am so we are not leaving until 10am" They left at 10am on the dot !

I do also think that a lot of our guests this year are more likely happier sitting on a sunny beach or next to a pool abroad, so are finding it hard to adjust to staycations and not actually treating it like a proper holiday.

Luckily the lovely, friendly guests still outweigh the slightly unhappier ones by a lot. 

We have noticed the guests aren't as satisfied as before.

My thoughts are that normally we would be booked with overseas visitors who are delighted to be on holiday in Ireland.

Now we have Irish people who are angry that they didn't get to go to Spain, Greece or the like.

I know exactly how they feel :))))

@Tony-And-Una0YES!

We have guests annoyed that their "holiday" consists of a trip to Keymar, MD instead of Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, etc. No matter how cute my space is, its hardly known for its vibrant nightlife unless you include the opossum that wanders across the yard.

What can you do?  The other option is to stay put with family they have been locked up with, in the home they have become sick to death of.

"we have paid until 10am so we are not leaving until 10am"

hahahahahaha 😄 😄 😄 😄 loool