Have had a perfect 5* rating until now, got a 4*, will I ever get back to being a 5* star?

Have had a perfect 5* rating until now, got a 4*, will I ever get back to being a 5* star?

I´ve hosted all perfect 5 stars (about 12), until now, a super good review (go figure) gave me a 4*. Now i´m 4.9*

Will it ever be possible to go back to 5*?

Is 99.9% 5*- 0.1% 4 stars still count as 4*?

Will I be inperfect forever? haha...

How does this work?

93 Replies 93
Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

This points (yet again) to the unclear ratings system and unjust weighting of reviews and penalties (especially in searches) against hosts by airbnb.

It's not OK, and this and other very acute issues are sending many hosts to other listing platforms, even though they dont allow any guest reviews by hosts.  Another area of review grief is the "location" category.  I recently received another 4 star for that, even though I provide super clear written, detailed and numbered directions and guided the most recent 4-star review guest in by text when they did not read them!  Comment: "hard to find"  amidst gushes about how "special" and "awesome" I am for preparing a special welcome for what they were celebrating...

Now to figure out how I can pick and move the land and buildings without losing the "quiet and secluded" ambience the guest wants...

This is our business.  We are not limited in regards to where we list.

Caleb-And-Tanja0
Level 1
Eggersriet, Switzerland

The upside is that you are the only one who can see the 4.9

You’re right! And also, as an update, it has been liberating to se a 4.9. Now I don’t live in fear, hahaha...

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Amanda612 I've just had similar to you - 3* for accuracy because the address is incorrect.

airbnb put the address on my listing.

She meant "I was daft enough to pay no attention to your directions".

I've also had 5* in every category but 4* overall. WTH?!

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Mariana313 

Airbnb have create this  tyranny, so you can let it define you, or ignore it completely.

I can think of at least one host on here that has twenty years in the hotel business and gives very competent and professional advice and does not give hoot for super host status, I wish more hosts would follow suit.

Super Host status is a device used by Airbnb to coral Hosts into every increasing standards without any expectation of an increase in income.

Its a game for schmuck...

Peter893
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

Welcome to Club 4.96!  I have 422 reviews on Airbnb over 4 1/2 years and, as annoying as it is, you will not be able to score 5* forever if you have more than a few bookings.  Particularly if you use Instant Book.  But you can minimize your 4* by paying close attention to the demographic of your guests and adjusting your hosting accordingly.  So, for example, I have found the following similarities among the 4*s:

1.  Older single or couples.  They grew up on "hotels" and think that only the Four Seasons gets 5*; they generally bring more luggage and have difficulty lugging it around which they blame on you; they have difficulty with contemporary electronics and mapping systems and tend to blame you for their ignorance.  And they are generally more crabby than Millenials or GenXers.  All you can really do to save yourself is pile on a lot of extras or come right out and tell them how important 5* is.

2.  Guests who Instant Book without telling you anything about them.  I really worry about these because I have no idea what to expect.  You need to be prepared to be nimble and flexible here and psych them out if you can to avoid the 4*.

3.  Guests who book for an unhappy occasion.  See#2, above.

4.  Guests who come from overprivileged cultures or dour cultures.

5.  Guests who don't read your description, rules, manuals or directions - you need to be careful not to point out their inattention or suggest that they should have read all this or that the answer is staring them in the face.

6.  Guests who sustain a major system failure ( like HVAC) while they are there if it is not fixed promptly.  The best you can do is fall on your sword and rebate them substantial compensation for the trouble.  I have found that this usually works.

Finally, and most importantly,NEVER OVERSELL your accomodation and ALWAYS provide more than  your description claims.  Happy surprises make for happy 5* reviews.

Good luck, but the bottom line is you cannot avoid death, taxes and 4* reviews.

that's great advice!! I would add people who do something wrong (like arriving late, ruining something, or just being a pain in the a**) who would think you'll give them a bad review... in which case I've learned to make them feel like they're great and not bothering you at all... 

Vicky353
Level 2
Pasadena, CA

This sucks. I’ve had a 5 star rating with all guests thus far but just got a 4 star rating Because my place doesn’t have body towels (which i state in the description before booking) AND on top of that when a guest checks in, i ask them if they saw that/if they’ll need some body towels so i can give it to them. She had said she wouldn’t need any however left me a 4 star review because of that? Kind of ridiculous. Airbnb should really look into this faulty reviews. Our rating shouldn’t get ruined because a guest just feels like complaining about something (that could’ve been handled).

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Vicky353  I'm sorry you got marked down, but I have to say that it's pretty odd not to provide bath towels- that's a basic thing that guests expect, whether you mention in your listing that you don't provide them or not. And the way you mention it is easy to miss, as it's just buried in the text of your description. I'd make it a lot more obvious- like put it under "Other things to Note" in a way that leaves no room for misinterpretation. "Bath towels are not provided- please bring your own".

Did you have a lot of guests stealing your towels or something?

Guests and maids steal towels, you have to price it in and take it on the chin.

You cannot avoid death, taxes, stolen towels, and 4* reviews

Greg1284
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

My second guest gave me a 2 star and its now impossible for me to get past 4.3 stars.  This guest didn't close his own window in the suite before bed an complained that he shivered thru the night, it wasnt cold out.  He then, on his way out, flipped the switch off of my furnace and stole two new beach towels ($80).  In his review he said the unit smelled like a sewage pipe burst, it was too small for four adults (posting states 3 ppl max) and that it was too expensive ($60, hot tub, DT Vancouver....).  Airbnb reimbursed me for the towels but said they couldn't do anything about the review.  They need to do a better job with this review system.

Beata-and-Marek0
Level 2
Platanillo, CR

WE AS HOSTS, NEED TO MAKE AIRBNB TO CHANGE THE RATING SYSTEM! IT IS SO UNFAIR TOWARDS US! WE COULD BE SCREWD FOR NO REASON AT ALL! THE SO CALLED “OVERALL EXPERIENCE” SHOULD BE CALCULATED AS AN AVERAGE OF ALL CATEGORIES. I GOT 5 STARS IN ALL CATEGORIES, BUT OVERALL EXPERIENCE 4 STARS. WHERE IS THE LOGIC TO IT?!

Sorry for the caps lock, but my frustration is up to a roof at this point. I don't understand why we should put up with it. I was checking so many chats about the rating system and the complains go years back. We should have a voice. After all Airbnb would not exists without hosts. So why no-one is listening?

I don't know how I will survive in this business. We live in a small village in Costa Rica. I can provide the best accommodation possible, but it will never be the same as in the rentals in big cities in Canada or States, simply for the fact that some things are not practical or even accessible here. Most people understand it, but this last guest did not. What is sad, we could hear them laughing, watching tv up to late night (we provide very good internet, 40" smart tv, and chrome cast), and having very good time.  If you want read the whole story. 

I want to write a private note to Guest and respond to her complaint and suggestions. Tell me if I should I?

Here is how it was:

I rent a two bedroom cottage There are two double beds and a futon in the living room for one additional person. We charge $60/night for up to 4 guests and $70 for 5 people. I always put coffee, sugar and a bag of local cookies for arriving guests. There is always black tea, green tea, chamomile tea, cooking oil, all kinds of spaces for guests to use. I provide shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, shower caps, laundry detergent and softener, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning products, dish soap. 

I had the reservation for four people for 4 nights. Two guests in each bedroom. They arrived in a group of five. Two of them wanted to sleep on a futon in the living room. I said right away that this futon is for one person, they won’t be comfortable on it. They said that it doesn’t matter, they will be fine, they will stay only 2 nights. I provided additional bedding and towels. I didn’t say anything about additional charge for the fifth person.

The next morning Guest complained that the futon is very uncomfortable, and asked is there any way to fix the problem. I provided a comforter and a big, thick blanket to put it on top of the futon for sleeping and seating. I apologize and told them we had no idea, no one complained to us before, and we will replace the futon as soon as they’ll live.

Everything seamed to be good, they wanted to cook roast-beef - I lent them my slow cooker. Their suitcase broke, they asked for a glue - my husband gave it to them. They ask for herbs from my garden - I shared, phone number for Uber - we provided. They complained again, that the futon is not comfortable to seat on and watch TV. What could I do for Pete’s sake?! Run to the store and buy a new one? We live in Costa Rican village in the jungle!

They left, I wrote them good review (after all some guests are high maintenance) and a private note, that we already replace the futon. And then it comes their review. 4 stars overall experience and Accuracy, and the private note:

“B and Mark we wanted to say thanks again for being so accommodating. We really loved your location and the touches that you put into your cabana. I felt I had to write about the futon because even if we didn’t sleep on it I would’ve said something because it is so so so uncomfortable for sitting. In addition you may want to think about having other furniture that is comfortable to lounge on. We found ourselves having to lie on the bed’s to do her reading and journalling etc. because there was no comfortable spot to sit. You provide many opportunities for sitting but they’re all hard wooden chairs and not great for lounging. Salute.”

Are you kidding me? In a hotel all you can do is sitting on a bed in one room and you pay twice as much. We have a desk and a chair in each bedroom. There is a huge table on the covered patio and 6 chairs. There is a table in the living room and four chairs. We had cushioned chairs at the beginning, problem was that people sit on them in damp bathing suits, leave beach sand, stains, they sweat and I ended up washing seats between every reservation  and drying them with a hair dryer. When it comes to Accuracy, I don’t know how can I be more accurate, the listing says what to expect in details and we have like 70 pictures from our property. See for yourselves: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/34368905.

So that is the story. I understand guests are entitled to their opinion, but it should not be possible to damage our rating so easily.

What's great about writing a public note responding to any 4 star reviews. To give you some context, I am a superhost with an overall 4.95 rating with 222 reviews meaning only 1/20 reviews is a 4 star review... the rest are 5 stars).  When a disgruntles guests exaggerates or lies in their review, and nothing can be done to remove it, I publicly respond in the nicest possible manner and address their concerns. I also include, "that I why I gave you a FULL REFUND for your entire stay and offered you a free night at my unit in the future that never expires." Now, obviously I would never refund a guest who simply writes poor reviews (as hurt people like to hurt people),  but the public doesn't know that and all they know is that it's true and you as the host did everything you could do to make the guest happy.   

Max1556
Level 2
Seattle, WA

#roundup airbnb... 4.9999 should be 5

Philip2601
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

I feel like a median-based review score instead of an average-based review score would fix everything. But since AirBnB wants a decimal system they should just remove the top 1/5 and bottom 1/5 reviews. The score calculated based on the rest would be representative of the experience.