Have you ever crafted anything to help you host?

Answered!
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Have you ever crafted anything to help you host?

image.png

Hey all,

Let’s talk crafts! You may have read this on my profile or on my intro post here, but I’m quite into crafting and creating things.

It’s not something that makes me the black sheep of the family either. I learned sewing from my aunties and my grandma taught me how to knit. My dad was quite a handyman, too.

Crafting a project of any size is a big undertaking that can reap a lot of rewards, many of which can be very helpful for your listing. Having handmade items can make a guest’s stay also feel more welcoming and authentic. 

Have you ever crafted anything yourself that improved your guests’ stay? 

I’m talking about projects of any size here so feel free to share anything you’ve made! From coasters to curtains to saunas or even the whole house. And please don’t shy away from sharing pictures!

Looking forward to your replies,

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

1 Best Answer
Barbera0
Level 8
Elburg, Netherlands

58 Replies 58
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sybe 

I like to upcycle vintage furniture, but that mostly involves painting. I haven't gotten to upholstery yet, but definitely want to give that a go too.

Others here will probably have already seen this example (really need to take some new photos of the house as there are more recent ones).

Before

DSC09840.jpg

After

Stockwell-SW9-london-houses-028-1200x1800.jpg

I've also tried my hand at a few small crafts, like a Christmas wreath for the front door:

wreath.jpg

And these pressed flowers. I gave these to my mum, so they're not at my listing, but I'm planning to do some more that I can hang up here:

IMG_20191224_202945crop (1).jpg

Gorgeous,  @Huma0 ! 

I love love love your eye @Huma0!

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

I too get the creative itch often, and especially love to make things from found items rather than purchase new, or give an old item a makeover to repurpose it. The listing is filled with many of them. I made the lamp in the picture from an empty apple cider vinegar jug and a plain old thrifted lampshade. Another example is the ottoman you see in the living room photo, made from an old galvanized washtub. The lid comes off and it originally held kindling and other supplies for the fireplace, but we removed the fireplace as an amenity. 63D20929-4B5B-46F3-B937-AAA416862B0E.jpeg

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 

That's ingenious. It's always great to give old items a new lease of life. It's amazing what some people will just chuck out. I found a beautiful antique chair on the street. All the carpentry was sound, but the caning was damaged and the seat needs reupholstering. Still it seemed too good to go to landfill! Another kerb side find was a vintage card table with lovely brass details. At first I thought it was damaged as it was in a couple of pieces, but actually there was nothing at all wrong with it. It just needed a couple of screws to reassemble. 

I never would have guessed your lamp was made from an apple cider vinegar jug!

@Huma0 I would imagine you come across some most amazing finds, in your corner of the world. Not so much, here!

It’s unfortunate how much stuff ends up in the landfills because people thinks it’s just trash. I like to be creative for the outlet it provides, but also take it further with reuse and recycle, in an effort to reduce how much I consume, and care for the environment. Ps, the paper for the shade was packing paper. If I don’t re use that stuff somehow, it goes in my compost!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 

Actually, it's not such rich pickings around here, but if you keep your eyes open...

I think I would probably find more if I went hunting around wealthier neighbourhoods. A recent guest told me that 'dumpster diving' in nice, clean neighbourhoods in Sweden is popular. I can't imagine rummaging through trash cans here!

@Colleen253 Love that lamp, super cool. 

Here is a video house tour that's such a trip. This woman's place would drive me nuts- she's what I would call an artistic hoarder, but she is so creative and sweet. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=90waX9wLcRY0

I love that lamp - that shade gives me all the feels @Colleen253.  Did you spray the jug?  It looks gorgeous.

@Ann72 “…all the feels” Love that!

Yes, I sprayed the jug with a mirror effect spray, vinegar and water, for the mercury glass look! 

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

I love the effect on the jug! I've seen people pour a sort of mirror paint inside the jug too and paint it via the inside that way.

How did you do that with the cable though @Colleen253 , did you drill a hole on the bottom-side of the jug for that?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hi @Sybe! The paint did go on the inside! That’s part of how you get the effect, as the spray paint runs in. I used a glass drill bit to make the hole. 😊

Rhonda46
Level 3
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Thank you for asking this question! My sewing and creativity, I believe, give an extra layer of softness and elegance in my rentals. These photos are from the "cozy casita". I designed and sewed the Sunflower bedding, monogrammed the sheets and pillowcases and the "makeup" wash cloths. Then upstairs the yellow futon cover, throw pillows with fringe, curtains, kitchen chair cushions with tassels. The curtain on the patio door was made in panels of vintage Day of the Week tea towels in English, Spanish and Yiddish. There is a blackout lining to keep it from fading. Finally, a personalized Welcome sign. The the guest has a pet, its name on a gift tag tied to a dog bone. I truly want my guests to feel welcomed!!

Design sem nome.jpg

CC monogram on sheets and pillowcases.pngkitchen_sala curtains, futon, cushions.png
Sunflower themed bedding.pngRed bathroom sink.jpeg

**[Personal information hidden in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

@Rhonda46  Great stuff. I am so familiar with the fading issue- I have an upholstery business here in Sayulita- I make cushions for built-in concrete sofas and chairs, throw pillows, curtains. The sun is so strong here, even ambient light fades things out. So I work almost exclusively with Sunbrella fabric, which doesn't fade. If a client wants white cutains, then it doesn't matter what fabric I use.

Rhonda46
Level 3
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Oh, the heat and humidity in Sayulita! I don't envy you. I did have the Birds' Nest terrace cushions recovered (by someone else) in Sunbrella. My girlfriend brought it across the border in her car so I didn't have to pay the 16% tax on the purchase. LOL  BTW, the patio furniture was custom-made for me, too.Birds' Nest Terrace southeast view.jpeg