Have you ever crafted anything to help you host?

Answered!
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Have you ever crafted anything to help you host?

image.png

Hey all,

Let’s talk crafts! You may have read this on my profile or on my intro post here, but I’m quite into crafting and creating things.

It’s not something that makes me the black sheep of the family either. I learned sewing from my aunties and my grandma taught me how to knit. My dad was quite a handyman, too.

Crafting a project of any size is a big undertaking that can reap a lot of rewards, many of which can be very helpful for your listing. Having handmade items can make a guest’s stay also feel more welcoming and authentic. 

Have you ever crafted anything yourself that improved your guests’ stay? 

I’m talking about projects of any size here so feel free to share anything you’ve made! From coasters to curtains to saunas or even the whole house. And please don’t shy away from sharing pictures!

Looking forward to your replies,

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

1 Best Answer
Barbera0
Level 8
Elburg, Netherlands

58 Replies 58
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

I'll start with a shed/gazebo building my dad made. It's not mine but I did help a bit! It looks nicer in the summer though...

IMG-20220120-WA0002.jpg

Outside

IMG-20220120-WA0005.jpg
Inside

-----

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's so cool, @Sybe! I really hope to be able to build something like that one day. 
Although a few months ago I was proud of myself for putting together an electric fan, so it might take me a while to get to that level haha 

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

We all have to start somewhere @Liv , baby steps! Also electric fans can be quite challenging... 

-----

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Sybe and @Liv  because we live at the beach I have started making a small boat with the childs name on when children stay and to welcome and leave it on the bedside table. Team work - hubby makes the wooden boat and I make the sail,  print their name and add flag and assemble. The photo is our 1st effort.

20211027_094949.jpg

I have also recycled and mosaiced some old lights for the garden.

20190305_103203.jpg

I could add more but will leave the space for others to share. It will be interesting to see what we do from around the world.

I am sure Cathie from Darwin can show us her latest painting she has been working on. 

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

I love this, giving new life to older items and the boats really give a personal touch. I don't have kids but I imagine a happy kid makes a happy parent!

@Cathie19   I hear tell of a painting in progress? 

-----

@Laurelle3 

Do you use wood from your garden to make those cool boats?

Maybe one day show the children how they are made, you will have them hooked for life into carpentry.

@Helen427 the boat bottom is recycled wood from the wood heap. A good idea to show the children how they are made.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Sybe  I'm looking forward to seeing more of your projects!  I like to sew and have made a few things for my listing - some placemats, a lot of coasters, and some bolster and other cushion covers.  Here are a few pictures.  I make the bolster covers from a mix of vintage and new fabrics.

IMG_0020.jpeg

Coasters on a copper tray with whale cut-outs I found and polished up.Coasters on a copper tray with whale cut-outs I found and polished up.

I made the bolster cover and the velvet cushion covers for the cabin loft.I made the bolster cover and the velvet cushion covers for the cabin loft.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

This is so stylish! Things like bolsters can be seen as small details but paying a bit more attention to those details can lift your listing to a whole new level. 

-----

Thanks, @Sybe!!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

The bolster cushions are beautiful. They look very professional!

Thank you so much @Huma0!

@Ann72 @Huma0 @Sybe 

One thing a lot of people don't seem to be aware of is that there really isn't any difference between something sewn commercially or at home. Of course there are different levels of sewing skills, and specialized industrial sewing machines, but there aren't any machines in factories where they feed cloth in one end and a finished garment or pillow case or curtain comes out the other. 🙂

Everything sewn, from clothing, to home decor, to tents and other outdoor gear, is made by people sitting at sewing machines.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Yes, I know. I went to London College of Fashion. I did a media/comms degree but they made us do some basic fashion design/construction stuff so that we would understand how it works.

I cannot operate a domestic sewing machine (WHY oh WHY hasn't anyone come up with a less complicated threading method and why does the thread keep coming out and the needle get stuck???) but when I was let loose on an industrial one, that was a whole other trauma.

The tutor aptly compared the two to a Mini and a Ferrari.

I have always wanted to be good at sewing, but I am just rubbish. I do so admire people who can do it though, especially to the standard above.