Have you ever crafted anything to help you host?

Answered!
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Have you ever crafted anything to help you host?

image.png

Hey all,

Let’s talk crafts! You may have read this on my profile or on my intro post here, but I’m quite into crafting and creating things.

It’s not something that makes me the black sheep of the family either. I learned sewing from my aunties and my grandma taught me how to knit. My dad was quite a handyman, too.

Crafting a project of any size is a big undertaking that can reap a lot of rewards, many of which can be very helpful for your listing. Having handmade items can make a guest’s stay also feel more welcoming and authentic. 

Have you ever crafted anything yourself that improved your guests’ stay? 

I’m talking about projects of any size here so feel free to share anything you’ve made! From coasters to curtains to saunas or even the whole house. And please don’t shy away from sharing pictures!

Looking forward to your replies,

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

1 Best Answer
Barbera0
Level 8
Elburg, Netherlands

58 Replies 58

@Huma0  Years ago, I was sitting at my kitchen table sewing something on my domeestic machine, carrying on a conversation with a friend who had come over to visit, when she suddenly said, "Oh- you  sew really slowly. Maybe that's why everything I try to sew comes out so bad."

Well, I don't sew slowly, but I guess she just presses down all the way on the pedal at full speed without trying to keep the fabric lined up and so on.

A lot of people started to sew without learning the basics of how the machine works, how to adjust tensions, how to clean it, etc. I've had friends ask me to take a look at their machine because it's not working properly. I'll find a wad of thick matted fluff under the needle plate, the needle in backwards, the tension maladjusted, or the machine needing oiling. When I ask when they last oiled it, they look at me blankly- they thought that was something a technician does if you take it in to be worked on. Or I'll explain to them that the tension isn't correct and they tell me they're scared to touch the tension dial.

I hired my niece, who had a bit of sewing experience to help me out at one point. Her stitching was so crooked! I asked her where her eyes were focused when she was sewing. She thought I was being sarcastic and laughed, but I told her no, it was a serious question. She thought for a minute, and said on the needle. I told her there was no need to look at the needle, it goes up and down all by itself when she steps on the pedal- her eyes should be on the edge of the fabric in relation to the presser foot. Once she got that, her stitching was all nice and straight.

It definitely takes patience to sew- those who are focused on the finished product without wanting to take time to focus on the process, or who don't know how to adjust various parts of the machine or troubleshoot get frustrated. 

But I doubt that patience is your issue- all that furniture refinishing you do requires good prep and detail work and patience.

I think there are just some things we aren't cut out for. I absolutely hate doing any type of carpentry. I even hate sawing a board or hammering a nail.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

@Sarah977 wrote:

I think there are just some things we aren't cut out for. 

Absolutely. We can't be good at everything and no point punishing ourselves for it. 

Recently, a guest was lamenting not being much into cooking. I told him, "Not everyone has to be into cooking, just like not everyone has to be into football." That cheered him up!

And you're right, patience is not my issue. I have tried with the sewing machine, even paying for workshops outside of college. I have been able to drive a manual car since my teens, but can't seem to 'drive' that sewing machine.

My niece and I have been doing some basic hand embroidery together. My stitches are worse than hers and she is 12 and has barely sewn in her life. I keep waiting to see mine improve but they don't. Still, it's fun. Like you say, sometimes it's better not to focus too much on the end product.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Exactly that, you don't need to be perfect in what you do. As long as you're having fun! Besides, there are many ways you can still get that homemade feel with items in your listing.

I don't know if you've seen our post about the Etsy and Airbnb yet? I've seen some really nice items there that I'm sure would turn out very differently if I tried making them myself haha!

-----

That's really cool @Sybe - I'm excited to explore it!  Hoping the currency changes from SGD to USD at checkout...:)

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Ann72 The currency for me shows in GBP, but you can change this on Etsy I think in the same place you can change your region (top-right corner on PC).

-----

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ann72  Love your bolsters- I've made some quite similar, oddly enough.

@Sybe  Almost everything in my private room/private bath listing,  as well as the rest of my house, is custom made, from the house itself, which I designed and did all the tiling in, to the wooden chair I found on the side of the road and refurbished and painted, the handmade teak bedside tables from Indonesia, the iron wall sconces, the handwrought iron doors, windows, window bars and towel bars, and the curtains, pllowcases, duvet covers and cushions I made. Even the art on the walls are done by friends or family.

Really, the only things that are factory made are the sheets and towels, and I even made a couple of the sheets  myself.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

That must've been a huge undertaking, but very impressive @Sarah977 ! Were things like the chair you found little side-projects that you ended up including in your listing? I love to keep myself busy like that.

-----

@Sybe  I've never needed to "keep myself busy" 🙂 I wish. I have a constant list of things to do that is overwhelming. 

The chair- I just noticed it by the side of the road on garbage day, it seemed to be not broken, and had a cool shape, so I brought it home, painted it, and made a cushion for it.

I'm not sure what a "side project" means?

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

That's a good thing too, then you'll never be bored. Though please do make sure it's not too overwhelming and stays manageable! 

I meant side-project as like a project where you can spend some free time on when you have it. I myself am someone who needs a change every now and then to keep focused so if I'm working on a big project and I just need a change of scenery, I'll pick up something smaller and start working on that for a little bit before going back to my "main" project.

-----

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Sarah977  Dying to see pictures of yours 🙂

@Ann72  The bolsters I made that looked quite similar to yours were done about 45 years ago and unfortunately met their demise in a house fire. But here's a selection from my current living room.

IMG_20220120_233418145~2.jpg

I love the fabric mix on the patchworks @Sarah977 - and all of them together.  Nice!

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I usually make art for mine. I had a place with a giant wall and no budget for a giant painting so I bought birch tree stick on wall paper, made a large rectangle and then glued decorative wood trim to make it look like a frame. It looked great if I may say so myself. 

I also had some newspaper print fabric left overs and I glued it under old frames of different sizes and put it in random order on a wall. That one got mixed reviews

Others are less creative- scarves in frames, quotes on canvas written in free hand etc

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Getting creative with "simple" items can give some really impressive results. I might use some of your ideas myself @Inna22  (if that's okay haha)!

-----

You are so original, @Inna22  🙂