Have you ever crafted anything to help you host?

Answered!
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Have you ever crafted anything to help you host?

image.png

Hey all,

Let’s talk crafts! You may have read this on my profile or on my intro post here, but I’m quite into crafting and creating things.

It’s not something that makes me the black sheep of the family either. I learned sewing from my aunties and my grandma taught me how to knit. My dad was quite a handyman, too.

Crafting a project of any size is a big undertaking that can reap a lot of rewards, many of which can be very helpful for your listing. Having handmade items can make a guest’s stay also feel more welcoming and authentic. 

Have you ever crafted anything yourself that improved your guests’ stay? 

I’m talking about projects of any size here so feel free to share anything you’ve made! From coasters to curtains to saunas or even the whole house. And please don’t shy away from sharing pictures!

Looking forward to your replies,

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

1 Best Answer
Barbera0
Level 8
Elburg, Netherlands

58 Replies 58

@Rhonda46  I like the heat and humidity. 🙂 I don't even have AC- fans do me just fine. I lived in San Miguel for about 5 months one winter and it was far too cold for me, I was freezing. Not what I moved to Mexico for.

I've had clients bring Sunbrella down with them, but when they told me what they paid for it up north and what they paid for the shipping to wherever they lived up there, it was actually cheaper or comparable to buy it here. I order from a distributor called Tunalitec- they have branches in Guadalajara, Cuernavaca, and Mexico City, and a few other places, I think.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Nice topic @Sybe and great contributions.

@Huma0 We used to have lots of great roadside collections and in my area we used to be invaded by people from all areas of Auckland because they knew there was good stuff to be found.

Writing this whilst sitting on a Rocking Chair awaiting to be recovered with the computer on a Fold up wooden hand made table I found on one of my walks home after a swim.

I jokingly call some of my finds after the streets I've found them.

One off my best finds that Guest always comment on is the Wooden hand crafted tiered Planter stands I use as a Bedside table in my Guest room, the other is in the living area.

They are perfect for small rooms.

Sewing is very simple if as @Sarah977 has mentioned one does the basics, looks after the machine  ( I used to pull my mothers sewing machine to pieces and put it back together as a kid!) and knows how to drive in a straight line.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 

It's very satisfying rescuing items from the roadside. I'm in the middle of upcycling the card table but got a bit stuck on the colour!

RE the sewing machine, well I seem to be able to drive in a straight line, it's the threading that seems a nightmare to me. I don't understand why no one has developed a more straightforward method of this yet...

@Huma0  I find my straight stitch machines really easy to thread. Sergers (sometimes called overlock machines) have really complex threading, though, and I've also wondered why they can send people into outer space, but not make an easy to thread serger.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Well, this was exactly what I was thinking. With all the technilogical advances in other areas, why is the treading of the sewing machine still so antiquated? Surely someone has come up with a more user friendly machine?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Huma0 

How about doing the card table with a print or painting Queen of Hearts?

Or do you have other ideas?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 

The table has sections on the top that look like green leather with a gold pattern embossed. I was going to leave those sections but have been struggling to find a colour for the rest that works with it. I have painted it twice already but it just didn't look right.

Perhaps I should forget the more classic look I was going for and replace the green sections with something more fun, as you suggest!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Huma0 @Sarah977 here's my best pro tip: only ever thread the machine once. When you change thread, cut it at the reel, the the new thread on, release pressure foot, pull thread  through until you hit needle. That way, all you'll ever rethread is the eye of the needle. Has worked for me forever. Problem sorted.

@Sandra126 That is definitely how I thread my serger. The new thread gets knotted onto the looper threads as well. But I can thread a regular machine faster than it  would take me to knot a new spool on and then cut the thread when the knot is pulled through to the needle. 🙂

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Sarah977  Threading a machine is muscle memory for me now, I don't even need to think about it. But then again, I've never threaded a serger so the real challenge is yet to come!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Barbera0
Level 8
Elburg, Netherlands

image.jpg

@Sybe @Whenever I have guests who bring along their dog I always leave a jar with dog treats on the tray with the coffe/tea/chocolates and the kettle. Although not all guests actually give the treats to their dogs, the do appreciate the gesture.

I make them by glueing a childrens model dog to the lid of an empty jar and the spray painting them.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I absolutely love this, @Barbera0! I have actually tried making the same type of thing with a jar a few years ago. 

Yours look super cute, you did a great job 🙂 

Barbera0
Level 8
Elburg, Netherlands

Thanks for the compliment, @Liv ! Have a great weekend!