Have you got any spring cleaning plans?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Have you got any spring cleaning plans?

Liv_0-1610640492848.png

Hey everyone,

Even though many of you have already stepped up your regular cleaning due to COVID, I know that several hosts like to take some time each year to do a more thorough cleaning in order to freshen up their space.

Spring cleaning can be a great opportunity for not only cleaning up those often neglected spots but also for performing maintenance on appliances. 

Personally, I like to take some time each season to declutter and say goodbye to things I no longer need.

So what I’d like to know is: do you do spring cleaning in your listing? Do you follow a checklist or have any special strategies for tackling this challenge? 

Thanks,

Liv

30 Replies 30
Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Well there are places that hire carpet cleaners (machines) @Liv so I guess it’s best to google such stores. It wet vacuums carpet, so water and carpet detergent is added. You will be surprised the difference it makes  especially if animals have been living in your space previously. 

‘Easier enough to do yourself , otherwise professionals will certainly be able to assist .

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2484 That's great, thank you so much for the tip! I'll look it up. I can imagine the difference it makes.

How long does it usually take to dry during the summer?

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Having good airflow certainly helps drying carpet, so we have all windows and doors open during the day. Depending on the space you’re cleaning but allow at least 3days @Liv 

Goodluck with your mission !👍🏾

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks again, @Laura2484 😊

That was very helpful advice. I'll let you know how it goes 🤞

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Lucky you to have your own carpet cleaner @Cathie19 , we hire one for a full day and just remove the furniture and clean the carpets , going over it twice. It comes with a smaller attachment to do stairs, furniture, car seats ,sofas etc, so everything gets done.

Any smaller rug that can be put in the washing machine , it helps to clean and refresh. 

We allow sometimes a week or more for those deep cleans. 

‘Summer days are ideal !🌞

Lisa5829
Level 3
Alexandria, VA

I'll probably focus more on outdoor maintenance like painting.  Indoor cleaning and maintenance is ongoing.  There is something exciting about spending time outside when it starts to get warm, knowing summer is just around the corner 🙂  

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's a really nice way of looking at it, @Lisa5829!

I'm sure all your hard work will pay off and everything will be in order just in time for you to enjoy your summer 😎

What sort of maintenance have you been doing? Also, are you targeting any specific spots or doing a general clean? 

@Liv general clean, particularly the floors.  It is amazing how filthy they get sometimes. 

LakeLove0
Level 2
North Carolina, United States

We purchased our cottages recently, the old owner had an annual list of cleaning tasks. One thing on his list I didn’t think of, remove the bed and wipe down the bed frame. It also gives you a chance to get the floor under the bed extra clean and gives me a chance to rearrange the furniture if desired. We use the winter season to do the deep cleaning because summer is too busy!

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@LakeLove0 Having an annual list sounds like a great way to make sure nothing is forgotten! 

Also, cleaning the bed frame and under the bed is definitely a good reminder. Have you ever found any curious things that may have been dropped under there? 

Stephanie1098
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I am actually trying to find out how to set my calendar to include a 24-hour waiting period between guest check-ins due to COVID (I live in Atlanta).  I had it on my calendar....removed it for a guest and now I can't find it.  I've searched all over but can't find it.  Any thoughts?

@Stephanie1098 I think its under Listing >> Access >> Preparation Time 

It says "The nights before and after each reservation are available."

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I've been thinking about spring cleaning..... Then I saw THAT photo of Princess Anne, watching the rugby on her sofa in her living room...... and so I thought "I'm fine as I am!"

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Liv  going to order some more wire shelving for storage for all the extra sheets, towels, blankets pillows and laundry baskets. Maybe one of those hotel carts or a basket hamper for the laundry area as well.  As it is now a guest bed, extra couch, and chairs end up with sheets, towels, duvets on them. I had ordered some shelving but Amazon had to issue me a refund as the company only delivered one and not two. Then even wire shelving was out of stock for a long time from plants closing. I'm looking forward to having all that on a shelf.   

Monalee0
Level 2
St. Ann Parish, Jamaica

@Liv  Thanks for raising this topic. I have been wondering about how to better my deep clean/sterilization of bed linen and towels. Any tips?