Have you got any spring cleaning plans?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Have you got any spring cleaning plans?

Liv_0-1610640492848.png

Hey everyone,

Even though many of you have already stepped up your regular cleaning due to COVID, I know that several hosts like to take some time each year to do a more thorough cleaning in order to freshen up their space.

Spring cleaning can be a great opportunity for not only cleaning up those often neglected spots but also for performing maintenance on appliances. 

Personally, I like to take some time each season to declutter and say goodbye to things I no longer need.

So what I’d like to know is: do you do spring cleaning in your listing? Do you follow a checklist or have any special strategies for tackling this challenge? 

Thanks,

Liv

30 Replies 30
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Liv Spring?! I have 4 more months of winter to get through!

Haven't thought about spring cleaning yet but I do plan to do some paint touchups next week. 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 Just something to look forward to 😂
Nice! What's in need of a touchup? Are you doing it yourself?

@Liv 

All the little nicks and dings on the walls and baseboards from guest's suitcases and my vacuum. I'll have my boyfriend do it. I would probably spill most of the paint on the floor 🙂

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 I know the feeling! I'm sure you'll be great at supervising him then 😆

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Ohh @Emilia42 that could be a fun design having a painted floor created from spillage..maybe knock the paint tin over by accident 🙂

It reminds me of my best artworks, a friend of mine & I used to hang out in Art room sometimes during lunch hour. One day when we were cleaning up she suggested as I ran a the tapwater on the mixing board not to waste precious paint.

So I did a couple of prints with a roller and paper which resulted in a Lady with fur stool wrapped around her shoulders and a swished back hat draped around her head. Quite an a traditional old world look.

My guests often have commented on them and take some time figuring out it's a lady.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Liv @Laura2484 @Lisa5829 @Emilia42 

I took down and washed all the thermal lined curtains and they came up  really clean.

It helps having clean curtains to with  breathing & ease respiratory problems to as curtains can get quite dusty even when one shakes them and gives them a vacuum clean.

Best way to wash curtains is with a cold wash, heavy or delicate cycle.

I line dried them on one of our beautiful sunny summer days.

Do remember to just unhook them and leave main clips on the curtain rail or you will end up with a challenge or two trying to out them back up..

Wash my net curtains every 4 -6 weeks as can't stand dust on them.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's a great tip, @Helen427! Curtains are definitely something that can easily get overlooked during cleaning. 

Also, I'm curious to see that artwork! It sounds interesting. Have you got any pictures?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hahaha @Liv ahh yes, the pictures are hanging on the wall..;)

Hi@Helen350 I soak my thermal lined curtains in the bath overnight and swish them around. Then let them drain and rinse. The curtains are to big for the washing mashine and there is less wrinkles to iron out

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Liv ! Like @Emilia42, it’s not spring here.....

But with the Covid19 enhanced cleaning, I think I’m on top of the AIrbnb space! Lol.

However, as we are into the Wet Season, with the monsoon trough getting active again, keeping up the high pressure hosing of all concrete paths, driveways and pavers, is almost a full time job.

Not to mention constantly cutting back plants or removing young unwanted trees and shrubs growing up out of nowhere. No I don’t want a mango tree there! Oh, any mowing the lawns say  every five days is full on ....... 🍃🍃🍃

Maintaining a “ clean look” is so much easier during the Dry Season! 
But if we were talking about my own living space, upstairs.... now that might need some extra attention! Lol.... 😜🤣🤣23105E91-B9A0-4D92-873D-ED3F2BF2E271.jpeg

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Cathie19 I totally get what you're saying about the quickly growing plants, the same happens in Brazil. I've never had to take care of so many trees myself though. It must be quite a lot of work, but It sure looks like it's worth it. Your driveway is beautiful!

This topic also serves as a reminder to myself, I definitely need to pay some extra attention to to my living space. I can relate 😂

Is there anything in particular that you hope to improve?

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

We try to do a Spring Clean whenever possible. Season and weather permitted @Liv  The carpeted areas and mats are shampoo cleaned once a year , so our Summer fits for that job. 

‘In between stays , all the duvets are aired and dusted, along with the pillows and accessories, if they need washing or replacing we do that as needed.

Outdoor  maintenance is always ongoing so we just try to plan & prioritise.

Gardens & lawns after rain and sunshine , everything just grows  ☀️🌱 @Cathie19 @Emilia42 

@Laura2484, during sales a few of years ago, I bought a carpet shampoo machine with hand tools attached. I always have bulk detergent for it on hand and I couldn't tell you how often it’s saved my bacon from messy spills from guests, on rugs, or for just a regular refresh! It is just a domestic one, but has been worth its weight in gold! 

@Liv

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2484 @Cathie19 

I'm really glad you brought that up about carpets! This is my first time living in a carpeted space and I had no idea I had to wash it, I have just been vacuum cleaning it. How does that washing work exactly? 👀