Have you re-read the cleaning handbook lately? It's different from what I was forced to agree to.

Jennie131
Level 10
Rapid City, SD

Have you re-read the cleaning handbook lately? It's different from what I was forced to agree to.

When I was forced to agree to the "Covid Cleaning Protocol" I saved a version of it for reference. It stated things such as scrubbing walls and ceilings, taking down and laundering curtains and drapes "If POSSIBLE" between gusts, and also to clean and sanitize outdoor light fixtures. I have reluctantly been complying with this overkill approach at preventing spread of a virus that is not well spread by touching objects. 
Today I revisited the handbook. Although it does not show a different update date, the wording has changed. It mentions high touch surfaces, but does not specifically state all walls must be scrubbed. It now states drapes and curtains should be cleaned "if necessary," not "if possible." Legally, that is a huge difference. 

Just as I had predicted, Airbnb is quietly backing out of it. I get it, give the GUESTS the impression that the platform will bend over backwards for them, without doing the bending. Add this to the laundry list of things Airbnb has done to screw over the hosts.

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jennie131 Ignoring the sneaky way Airbnb have modified a document without any update control it is actually great news that we can comply in a significantly easier way. As it is no longer needed to wash ALL crockery between guests (confirmed here on the CC) we will deputing back the extra crockery that makes stays more pleasant.

Be careful about what you choose to ignore. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jennie131,

The unannounced revisions were mentioned in another thread: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Where-is-the-sense/m-p/1429380#M339882.  In the discussion Catherine Powell even chimed in, and stuck her foot in some poo when she contradicted her own previous statements regarding the necessity to wash all kitchen items.

I looked in my download folder, and found:

- October 8, 2020 the handbook version was dated June 15, 2020, and mentioned washing the ceiling with a multipurpose cleaner/detergent in two places (the entryway and porch).  It also stated washing various walls (e.g., shower/tub, refrigerator, pantry, patio, entryway and in the common room (I guess the virus wouldn't stick to wall in any other room)).

- October 16, 2020 the handbook version was dated September 21, 2020.  Washing the ceiling has been removed, and replaced with using a broom to remove visible dirt and cobwebs in the outdoor area (obviously, this is a key step in preventing COVID spread - stopping an infected spider from sneezing or coughing and the aerosols not get blown away in the air before inhalation by guests).  The walls in the pantry, patio and entryway have gained a level of immunity, and no longer require a routine application of a cleansing agent.  The revision was published almost a month after it was done, but there was no announcement of the changes.

- January 30, 2021, the handbook version is still dated September 21, 2020, and I didn't notice any changes regarding the washing of ceiling and walls.

- March 29, 2021, the handbook version is still dated September 21, 2020, and I didn't notice any changes regarding the washing of ceiling and walls.

Every version that I have states that all dishes linens must be washed.  This has recently been unofficially amended by Catherine, who now says it's only best practice, but the handbook hasn't been updated.

Interesting, thank you. 
Anyone else feel like we are being gas lighted?

@Debra300 the handbook has in fact been updated on dishes and linens, as discussed at length in other threads.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lisa723,

Yes, you are correct.  The statements about washing all dishes in the cabinets were revised.  This is what I noticed with a quick search of the first version that I have, and one that I downloaded a few minutes ago.

June 15, 2020

Page 12

Debra300_5-1617839496955.png

Page 27

Debra300_6-1617840012604.png

September 21, 2020

Page 12

Debra300_0-1617837967320.png

Page 26

Debra300_4-1617839301667.png

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jennie131 

Jennie, I have a thread on just this topic and I have requested that the head of global hosting (who I have directly relayed this thread to) take action to help disadvantaged hosts due to the ECP rule changes along the way.

I got a flossy reply here on the general CC board telling us how important we all were and how Airbnb are fighting for us hosts on every level, and she would keep us informed. 

She completely ignored the thrust of the thread and simply used her reply as another PR exercise!

Jennie, we have learned to expect nothing.....and nothing is what we get I am afraid.

We now all know the ECP has changed, Airbnb didn't think it was important enough to keep us abreast of these changes, but they did think it important enough to block hosts calendars because they felt the ECP prior to 10/20 was a bridge too far.

Jennie, we find out things the hard way I am afraid!

Cheers........Rob