Having second thoughts about being a host

Terri292
Level 2
Lexington, NC

Having second thoughts about being a host

I have read so many comments from very unhappy hosts here that I am seriously considering pulling my listing, which I can do right? I may go with another company. Do any of you have suggestions on who it is better to host through? VRBO? Home away? I’m sad this isn’t going to work out as I just listed for the first time last night and was excited, but airbnb sounds like a nightmare! Is there anything I need to do with the one reservation I got today if I’m removing my listing?

49 Replies 49
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The thing is, @Terri292, very few people come on to forums to worship what it is is they're talking about. And, it's probably true to say that this isn't the time when Airbnb are shining as they once did (however, the same can be said for most airlines and other covid-impacted service industries right now).

As for your reservation, assuming they seem OK, you'll do fine. I've had 250+ guests I'd happily welcome back, and only a handful I wouldn't. But if you are going to cancel on them, do it now to avoid stiffing them.

It's ultimately your choice whether to stay or go, but you know what they say about the grass being greener... 

Thank you! I needed to just see a few people that are happy hosts and have had good experiences I guess. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There are lots of lots of stories online about people being happy hosts, you just won't find many on forums, which by there very nature are mainly for people having issues with the product/service.

Alex-And-Rhea0
Level 10
Hakuba, Japan

@Terri292 Why not have 2 if not 3 different companies listing your place? Try it out and make sure you don:t double or trip[le book.

good idea! I hadn't thought of that. Do you know if there is anyway for Airbnb to take a fee even if they book through VRBO? I would think not but don't want to be shocked lol

Donna519
Level 4
Bali, Indonesia

@Terri292  definitely agreeing with Alex and Rhea as well as Gordon.

You see a lot of unhappy comment on this forum because very few come here to share their positive experience with Airbnb.

You know this basic fact, if you're happy with a restaurant, 1 out of 10 will leave a positive comment whereas if the experience was bad, 5 out of 10 will leave a bad review - it does not mean it is a bad restaurant, it simply is the way we are.

Now with all the villas in my portfolio and the few years experience with this site, I would strongly recommend them - they are a major player that gets a lot of visibility and converted requests.

Yes they often will arbitrate in favor of the guest but they all do.

Finally - you can multiply the sites you offer your property - VRBO is a good one and there are many others which there is no need to name here.

You just need to work out the automated synchronization of your booking calendars but most of the major operators already have this feature integrated.

Good luck and happy hosting!

very true about negative reviews. I was alarmed I wasn't seeing any good ones, so thank you!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Terri292 Totally agree that this forum attracts the poor experiences rather than the many good ones. 

Generally by allowing cancellations during the pandemic Airbnb have complied with the laws here in the UK by fully refunding guests. They have gone a bit far more recently now that people can travel - they shouldn't be as happy to give full refunds but hopefully even this will stop soon.

One other thing to bear in mind is that listing on multiple sites, whilst spreading your risk, means you will not feature quite so highly on each of their search parameters soy may actually end up with fewer bookings.

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

You're saying there are laws here in England stating that full refunds have to be given in light of the pandemic? News to me @Mike-And-Jane0 

@Robbie54 I suggest you look up the concept of frustrated contracts under English law. In the case it becomes impossible to fulfil a contract both parties have no claim over the other and, in the case of accommodation being booked, case law says the host must refund the guest.

Its not the pandemic per se its the government making it illegal to host guests that meant full refunds had to be given under law.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Robbie54@Helen3  - @Mike-And-Jane0 are right!

Here it is from the horse's mouth, gov.uk: www.gov.uk/government/publications/cma-to-investigate-concerns-about-cancellation-policies-during-th...

- The law says that if someone books accommodation for an event, such as a wedding or a festival, and large gatherings are banned by temporary public health measures, then the guest is entitled to a full refund.

So early in the pandemic, all of your bookings would have been illegal, unless keyworkers, so all were entitled to a full refund. Now that holidays are allowed, cancellations cos someone's changed their mind, fall under your cancellation policy again. But if someone could produce the tickets to a cancelled festival, concert or big wedding, then they'd still be legally entitled to a big refund!

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Terri292 

You have extremely low availability on your listing, only have three midweek days open on your calendar at present, so maybe you have made up your mind.

My suggestion would be;

Open the calendar for a very limited period of time, as a trial run and see how it goes for you. Maybe a restriction of a maximum of three or four days booking duration.

Reduce the number of guests initially, you are currently open up to 8 people and sofa beds may come into play - why not restrict to 4 or 6 where it is more comfortable for guests and you to control.

Have a look at historical reviews with listings locally to yours, along with the reviews the host gives to the guests - that will give you a realistic idea of typical day to day culture.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Terri292 , Others here said it well, we are all still here using Airbnb for lots of good reasons, they really have been awesome in the past and have the potential of even greater things in the future as long as they get and keep their focus on the target.  Your best bet is to get your feet wet and see if you like it, don't concentrate on the profit or fear of failure, strive to be great, better than those folks that are your competition around you like @Elena87 mentioned by stalking their listing and reviews for clues. Stay well, John, 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Terri292 

No platform is perfect, but few penalise hosts as much as Airbnb does. Evidence of that abounds and no improvement to that should ever be expected. I could list the issues, but as some long term members have found out, there is little point in that as no notice is taken, the issues arise, regurgitate and increase in intensity rather improve in benefit, and in frustration they just leave.

Remember that Airbnb will make roughly 20% above what you charge as your rate, so you want to receive a service which is commensurate with that.

Many hosts maintain their listings here only because a) It is the only significant platform supporting homeshare.

The only advice you need to host on Airbnb is to learn the system, be aware of the pitfalls and [GAME] your way through it, changing your game plan, House Rules, Registration, installing CCTV for evidence collection and saving communications for the same reason, update your listing as you learn more, and promote the benefits which work for you, whilst avoiding the pitfalls you've identified. Then be aware, that you will need to change it all again as more changes become apparent. After that you will be fully equipped to argue your case with CS Agents, if you ever get through to them. But you may need to spend days, or weeks doing this.

You can keep the one reservation you currently have, and whilst you explore other options you can 'snooze' your listing so that it doesn't create any further bookings. Some other platforms will offer to import your Airbnb listing onto their platform should you wish to do so and so you would not lose the work you have already put in. You are quite entitled to use other platforms concurrently as you use Airbnb but you would be advised to use one platform as your main portal, offer Instant Booking on that, and synchronise your calendars from that one. Other platforms, set to 'Request Booking' so that you can check calendar clearance first and ensure that the bookings work to your schedule.

Good luck, maybe see you around? [GAME ON]. 😀