Headline: "Airbnb offers free accommodation for 20,000 Afghan refugees" or; Airbnb's hosts offer up their spaces to provide free accommodation for 20,000 Afghan refugees.

Clive12
Level 5
London, United Kingdom

Headline: "Airbnb offers free accommodation for 20,000 Afghan refugees" or; Airbnb's hosts offer up their spaces to provide free accommodation for 20,000 Afghan refugees.

Once again Airbnb attempts to take maximum credit for the wonderful generosity of its kind hosts whist behind the scenes continues to disempower, obfuscate and frustrate them into leaving the very platform that their effort, commitment and risk helped to build.

An X-Host

41 Replies 41
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

What a wonderful idea.

Include me OUT!

Unless, of course, Airbnb would like to pay half the cost involved. . .

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I saw that, and I wondered how they can be sure that they will find 20,000 hosts willing to take in refugees even if as they say, they are going to pay the cost of the rental to hosts.

And of course, as always, we see this in the media before it is told to any hosts.  

I have nothing but sympathy for these refugees, and for other people who are displaced or homeless due to natural or human caused disasters, but I just can't take the risk of participating in these types of programs since I know that Airbnb's vetting is terrible to non existent and I have read more than one horror story of naive hosts who took in guests through these programs only to find out they were destructive dishonest scammers.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Clive12, @Mark116 , @Brian2036 

I feel for all in despair.  Our local member of parliament spent 2 tours of duty in Afghanistan, which I glad to support him.

However, I didnt work 30+ years of my life building my investments to give them away at Airbnb's request.  On a case by case basis, I will look seriously at each request.   Just my opinion.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Hosts are not being expected to house these refugees for free. Airbnb says it is footing the bill. It is free to the refuugees, but the hosts will be paid.

Where does it say that? I didn't see this on Airbnb.org.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Hm... war refugees, especially from another country are not the same category as people displaced because of the fire or flood. They don't have any income and working permit so they should be placed in hotels or campuses where they can get a free meal and toiletries, toilet paper... They are suited to some well-organized place where everything is kept under control, with cleaners, maintenance, and a doorman not in someone's private apartment.

In Croatia, the state is organizing and paying for their accommodation and food, not private companies. Isn't it the same in USA?

Kyle609
Level 1
Austin, TX

I'd be willing to help, but where do I go to see what Airbnb will pay me?

@Kyle609  It's through Airbnb.org.   You can register interest, and then, presumably, ask your questions when someone gets back to you. 

KymberLee3
Level 1
Maryland, United States

That’s what I’m saying as long as I’m paid in FULL! Damages and any other cost 

@KymberLee3  Refugees escaping horrible conditions are usually extremely grateful for being offered housing and are not likely to be purposely disrespectful of the property.

However, they may be totally unfamiliar with cultural norms, how to use the appliances or even a door lock or shower curtain, so anyone who chooses to offer them housing should be prepared to patiently demonstrate how everything works. They are also traumatized, may have left relatives behind, and are in completely alien surroundings. 

No one who isn't prepared to be kind and patient should sign up. These are not your normal "guests".

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This isn't meant to be a money making exercise for hosts but part of a humanitarian relief @KymberLee3 

Airbnb have said they will cover rental costs but please only sign up if you are committed to supporting any refugees you house. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@M199 @Clive12 @Kyle609 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Sarah977 

I read several news articles on this today.

I don’t see any specific details. 

At one point Mr. Chesney implied that Airbnb would be paying but later he said that he would be asking Airbnb hosts to donate housing and money.

The US government will probably be involved and that tells me that the whole thing will be grotesquely complicated, confusing, inefficient and corrupt.

As they are fond of saying in New Orleans, FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) actually stands for “Fix Everything My A$$.”

FEMA has built several “refugee centers” over the last 20 years. Some people think that they look a whole lot like concentration camps.

I would suggest prosecuting George Bush for war crimes and seizing his billions in ill-gotten gains to pay for reparations to the victims.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brian2036  From Chesky's Twitter page: 

E2BE4466-D996-4FB7-917E-F1DA198D6BBA.jpeg

( I don't do Twitter- it was posted on another forum)

However, I don't necessarily trust what Chesky has to say. He's good at changing things mid-stream.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah977 

Yessss… “We” will be paying (which we?) but we could not do this without the generosity of our hosts.

Hmmm. So I can assume that “we” will be paying with someone else’s money?