Heads up for Eugene, Oregon hosts: AntiAirbnb proposal brewing

Alice103
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Heads up for Eugene, Oregon hosts: AntiAirbnb proposal brewing

Heads up, fellow hosts in Eugene, Oregon:

At the Dec. 8 meeting, a long-time Board member of the Fairmount Neighborhood Association presented a list of general criticisms of Airbnbs/short-term rentals and then reviewed, in great detail, the Salem law restricting Airbnb. The Board member concluded his presentation saying the FN Board was thinking of recommending this kind of law to the Eugene City Council. 

Many Airbnb hosts were there to comment - only two were able to speak. The opposition evidently took the Board by surprise. After the meeting the presenting Board member said, when directly questioned 1 on 1, that he did not intend to disparage Airbnbs, had only briefly researched the matter when asked to lead that agenda item, and was himself an Airbnb guest (?!). Apparently this came up because there is one vocal neighborhood member pushing the issue. He brought a handout critizing Airbnbs/short-term rentals and distributed it at the meeting.

Needed asap:

1. A way for hosts in Eugene, especially Fairmount hosts, to communicate privately through the website and exchange contact information.

2. Technical support from Airbnb.

9 Replies 9
Kris99
Level 1
Eugene, OR

I am looking to rent out one of my rooms using Airbnb.  What do I need to do this in the Eugene Oregon area?  Thanks!!

Denis130
Level 5
Lincoln City, OR

Alice,

When considering hosting as an Airbnb'r I was concerned about it's acceptance in the business community and was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't an issue at all, or at least for the majority of business owners who might see it infringing in their territory.

You didn't indicate a motive for whoever appeared to object to Airbnb, but when I was first investigating it here in Lincoln City I was a little surprised to find the City was already very proactive in supporting Airbnb because as one member of their permit office pointed out that, Airbnb generally brought a whole new set of tourists/business folks that might never show up because of high seasonal traditional room rates.

It could potentially deminish hotel/Inn bookings to a small degree but the shops, restaurants, fast-food, and service entities (gas stations/repairs/) got a bump. 

I strongly agree with your remarks Denis. I have found Eugene to be a wonderful and supportive area for doing Airbnb. I live in the Fairnount area, have never had an issue. 

Best wishes

Emily440
Level 3
Salem, OR

Hi from Salem. What restrictions in Salem? I am registered with City Hall here, Airbnb collects transient taxes for Salem and I have a lovely framed certificate on the bedroom's wall that I am authorized to collect the City Transient Tax as well. (although now Airbnb does that for us). Haven't had any bad mojo from the City. I did follow their recommendations in the begining about fire/CO2 alarms, fire extinguishers, et cetera. 

Catherina5
Level 1
Eugene, OR

I've enjoyed hosted in Eugene or the last couple of years. Airbnb pays the transiant or occupancy tax direct to the city. I have a wee house or kind of a nanny apartment attached to my home with a separate entrance so it accomidates guest well and they have plenty of privacy. A coded self checkin is convenient for late check ins and highly recommended. I try to keep vehicles on my property if at all possible so we keep neighbors happy. It's just a great way to pay the mortgage. 

Karen268
Level 3
San Lucas, Mexico

Alan Zelenka, City Council member lives next to an Airbnb and he hates it.  The work session by City Council to close down significant sections of the Airbnb community in Eugene will be Dec 11, 2019, at noon.  Check with the City for location.

Heidi100
Level 2
Eugene, OR

So I keep getting informative reservation requests from a host trying to gather strength in numbers but bc personal contact information is blocked by the site until res is confirmed so Ive tried to message her hopefully she'll respond anyone else know a host named Katherine?

Heidi, perhaps that was me, Kathryn Dunn.

I just wanted to make sure you knew about the proposed regulations and let you know there is a Face Book page for Eugene Area Airbnb Hosts.