Heating cost

Mary17
Level 2
St. Lucia, Saint Lucia

Heating cost

I had guests for a three month stay over the winter months.  I'm now left with a massive heating bill. Can anyone suggest how to set the meter so the guests don't have full control of the heating.  Perhaps, have it turned off for a few hours during the day and again from say, 10pm to 6am?   Any ideas will be appreciated.

6 Replies 6
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Mary17 If you have central heat, you can get a smart thermostat (for example the Nest). This lets you set hours when it's on or off, max and min temperatures allowed to set, etc. Some (like the Nest) will connect to your smart phone so that you can monitor and control it remotely. Consider getting a space heater so that guests don't have to heat the whole house at night when sleeping...they can just heat their room.

Sharon83
Level 2
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Get a Nest thermostat and lock the settings.
You can control the thermostat from a computer and smart phone if you decide to change the settings while away.
I own 3 and love the functionality offered by Nest.
Sherri
Sharon83
Level 2
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Get a Nest thermostat and lock the settings.
You can control the thermostat from a computer and smart phone if you decide to change the settings while away.
I own 3 and love the functionality offered by Nest.
Sherri
Jo340
Level 2
Tullaghanbawn, Ireland

Without 

Jo340
Level 2
Tullaghanbawn, Ireland

Without adding further  'smart' emissions into my home, how can I control the huge increase in fuel and utility costs that are coming as the autumn and winter approach. Surely the cold weather prices will have to increase to cover this? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jo340 or you will have to close down for the cold months.