Hello MONSOON my old friend........

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hello MONSOON my old friend........

HELLO monsoon my old friend......... it’s nice to talk to you again........ it’s been such a LONG time;

.... now we breathe and am just feelin’ fine........

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼💧:sweat_droplets::sweat_droplets::sweat_droplets:🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🎼🎼🎼

The skies have been painted in a flat light grey colour, no visible signs of cloud. The temperature has finally dropped from mid 30s (Celsius) to mid 20s. Although the humidity is around 94%, we are feeling fine! The sun is hidden and the plants are getting a quick drenching. A deep and cleansing drink that will continue across the week. Only an hour ago the sun was beating down and the "grandies” needed more sun block whilst swimming, or they were going to have to have a break from the UV rays. 

The Australian Monsoon is late across the Top End - NT & WA, but we long for it for months on end. Here in Darwin we essentially have two seasons: Hot & dry OR hot & wet. The local indigenous, from the Tiwi Islands, have a calendar of six separate seasonal cycles. What is interesting is that the high tourist season is across the Dry Season. But more and more, the discerning visitor is opting for a different experience of heat, sunshine and the beautiful storms that constantly return to this part of the world during the Wet Season.

Monsoon is coming, yay!Monsoon is coming, yay!

What kind of weather are you experiencing in your neck of the woods? Cold and dry? Blizzards? Equatorial? Heatwaves? 

The break from the oppressive heat is fantastic, spectacular! 😍

But by the end of the wet season, I am sick of controlling and removing moulds that want to raise their ugly heads either inside or on paths and pavers. Water pressure cleaning is constant. No snow shovelling here! Lol...

Please let me know what you are currently experiencing, the weather’s beauty and it’s challenges for hosting.

cheers 

Cathie

63 Replies 63

@Ann72. Sounds perfect!  Can I  get takeaway delivered so I can stay inside? Lol...

@Cathie19 LOL!  That would be a no.  :):):)  I get all my supplies on the way in so I don't have to leave.  You can be there for days and not see another soul.  In the winter, that is.  In August, it's Camelot!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Still perfect @Ann72

But I do like the early monsoon rains, pre mould etc, so I’ll just have to hang around here for awhile longer!

Luckily the grandkids managed to get a long swim before yesterday’s storm. It rains so heavy it hurts the skin if in the water; splashback everywhere..... They call it “happy rain” because it is still warm..... Not like the “sad” rain down south! 

FB82688D-2503-4811-98CD-17CF349C66EB.jpeg

@Cathie19 I would love to experience that!  I'll put you on my wishlist and hope for the day to come.  🙂

@Cathie19 PS:  Your home is GORGEOUS!  Will definitely get there some day.  Plus I love Australian slang - "salties"!  LOL!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

https://nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/202590/what-you-need-to-know-about-crocs.pdf

Hey @Ann72. Never get your “freshies” and your “salties” mixed up!  “Freshies” generally aren’t out to make you their dinner. On the other hand, “salties” are!  We no longer have a boat, but when Garry bought his first “tinny”, I wouldn’t let him purchase anything smaller than a 4.35 metre boat for safety..... The scary part is “salties” habitat and survive in freshwater as well as saltwater. That’s  one adapted dinosaur of the water!  🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊

@Cathie19 Wow, that's some adaptation!  I need to read up on crocs - did not know there were two kinds.  I've lived in Florida so know a little about gators and how fast they can run.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72

Your listings look wonderful Ann....but please don't show me pictures of open fires and describe heated floors....nature seems to be providing enough in that department at the moment without human intervention!! :-))

Cheers......Rob

LOL @Robin4 mea maxima culpa!  I love that we're on the same spinning blue marble with such different experiences!

I decided to add your town to my weather app so I can be more appropriately sensitive - but I'm as bad at geography as I am at metric measurements and couldn't decide which one to choose:

unspecified.jpeg

Please help!

In the meantime, it's 37F in New York (where I live) and a balmy 44F in Sedgwick, Maine (where I host) - and please don't ask me to figure out what that means in Celsius!  🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72

South Australia should do the trick Ann!

This is the forecast I use for guests.

http://www.bom.gov.au/sa/forecasts/mount-barker.shtml

Before each guest arrives I download the weeks local weather, print this page and slip that into a folder inside the cover of the house rules.

I provide them with a weather station (suitably bolted down) so they have all the local stats at a glance.

We started off the day hot today....at 8.30AM it got to 35c but a change has come through and now at 2.30pm temp is down around 27c....great after yesterday.

Ann I have had 74 years on this earth and I have never experienced anything like yesterdays heat, you could barely breathe it, it was so hot, you could not pick up anything outside without burning your hands. We harvest our rain water for the garden in an above ground storage tank, with taps running, the cold tap was hotter than the hot tap!!!!

Yesterday was a day that comes once a century....in fact there hasn't been a day that hot for the past two centuries!

Enjoy your 6.5c Ann, last time I was in NY we had a week of 90s  and there was a heat haze that hung over the city at what would have been the height of the twin towers. I had to take a photo of those searchlight beams that speared upwards into space, they balooned as they went through the heat haze.......I am proud of it, one of the best photos I have taken...

!cid_61AAF87F96234550B23338B3D4526576@UserPC.jpg

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4 I love your photo.  That means you were here on one of the anniversaries?  It's rarely that hot after Labor Day weekend, but "hazy hot and humid, high near 90" is a favorite phrase of radio weather announcers all summer long.  And September 11th is still technically summer.  Although THAT September 11th was one of the most perfect days anyone can remember.  As far as weather goes.

The heat you've had sounds epic - I'm glad you're getting some relief!  According to my weather app for Mount Barker, SA, it's 76 degrees right now, which is a very pleasant temperature for the middle of the day.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72

We toured the memorial site Monday September 9th 2013! That was as close as they would let us book to the actually anniversary date.

Ade with our friend Sue who travelled with us ......

ground zero 2.jpg

Our allotted visit time was 5.30.00pm and after spending some time at the site we grabbed a bite to eat at one of those little cafe/restaurants. When we came out darkness had decended, and that is when I took that shot!

Wednesday 11th, anniversary day was hot again, 35c and we stayed away from the Battery Point area because of the road closures and massive security presence. We have friends (My God son and his wife)  who have a lovely Brownstone in Williamsburg so we spent a bit of time with them for the week we are there this time and then we boarded the 'Eurodam' ( I wonder if the sanitiser will bleep that word)  for a cruise up the East coast finishing in Quebec!  

If we are talking about the same week Ann, yeah that was a great week!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4 Great photo!  I'm so glad you did that.  It's such a beautiful memorial.  I went and took a tour as soon as it opened.  Hardly anybody was there.  I live and work just a few blocks away and can see the top of the Freedom Tower from my apartment window.

I was referring to the original 9/11, but September is often very beautiful in New York.

Your trip sounds fantastic!  I don't know anyone who's done anything like that.  I usually drive the 9 hours from New York to Maine - it would be nice to cruise it - on a BIG boat - see my note to Cathie about me and boats lol.

Here's the view from my apartment - you can see the Freedom Tower spire in the middle background.  The white building in front is the New York Stock Exchange and the building with the construction elevator on it is 1 Wall Street, a 1931 Art Deco building that used to be a bank headquarters but is being converted to condos.Here's the view from my apartment - you can see the Freedom Tower spire in the middle background.  The white building in front is the New York Stock Exchange and the building with the construction elevator on it is 1 Wall Street, a 1931 Art Deco building that used to be a bank headquarters but is being converted to condos.

PS @Robin4 I saved your listing long ago to my wishlist, even though I have no idea where WA or SA might be.  It looks like perfection and I hope to see it in person one day.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72

And we would absolutely love to have you Ann.

I have always contended there is more to hosting than bricks and mortar. My listing is humble by many standards but I don't think there is too much humble about our hosting. We like guests to be genuinely sorry to leave....and, by and large, I think we manage to achieve that aim!

The door is always open Ann....unless there is another guest just about to shut it!!

Cheers.....Rob