Hello MONSOON my old friend........

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hello MONSOON my old friend........

HELLO monsoon my old friend......... it’s nice to talk to you again........ it’s been such a LONG time;

.... now we breathe and am just feelin’ fine........

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼💧:sweat_droplets::sweat_droplets::sweat_droplets:🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🎼🎼🎼

The skies have been painted in a flat light grey colour, no visible signs of cloud. The temperature has finally dropped from mid 30s (Celsius) to mid 20s. Although the humidity is around 94%, we are feeling fine! The sun is hidden and the plants are getting a quick drenching. A deep and cleansing drink that will continue across the week. Only an hour ago the sun was beating down and the "grandies” needed more sun block whilst swimming, or they were going to have to have a break from the UV rays. 

The Australian Monsoon is late across the Top End - NT & WA, but we long for it for months on end. Here in Darwin we essentially have two seasons: Hot & dry OR hot & wet. The local indigenous, from the Tiwi Islands, have a calendar of six separate seasonal cycles. What is interesting is that the high tourist season is across the Dry Season. But more and more, the discerning visitor is opting for a different experience of heat, sunshine and the beautiful storms that constantly return to this part of the world during the Wet Season.

Monsoon is coming, yay!Monsoon is coming, yay!

What kind of weather are you experiencing in your neck of the woods? Cold and dry? Blizzards? Equatorial? Heatwaves? 

The break from the oppressive heat is fantastic, spectacular! 😍

But by the end of the wet season, I am sick of controlling and removing moulds that want to raise their ugly heads either inside or on paths and pavers. Water pressure cleaning is constant. No snow shovelling here! Lol...

Please let me know what you are currently experiencing, the weather’s beauty and it’s challenges for hosting.

cheers 

Cathie

63 Replies 63

@Cathie19 I've read up on Salties and Freshies now.  Had no idea that Freshies are ONLY found in Australia!  I'm completely fascinated by everything about them in this document, but also by phrases like "Top End."  Literally everything about Australia is exotic in my eyes.

After reading this, I'm quite happy you no longer have a boat.  The drawing in the document that warns against entering the water while launching a boat is nerve-wracking.  I hate boats.  I hate being on boats.  And I've never figured out how to get into a small one without getting wet.  If I were in the "Top End," I'm sure that if I had to get on a boat, I would perish.

Between your saltie/freshie link and my obsessive listening to the podcast "Casefile," I could conclude that to visit Australia would mean certain death by murder or wildlife.  But as an eternal optimist, I persist in believing that it is a sort of heaven on earth that I will certainly visit one day.  And as a major fan of Australian slang, I promise you that when I visit, I won't be a "handbrake"!  :):):)

PS:  Why have a house on the coast of Maine if you hate boats - and for that matter, why live on an island (Manhattan) if you hate boats?  You're not the first person to ask that.  I'll tell you.  I'm very fond of bridges.

"....Hello snowstorm my old friend,
You took my landline out again (thanks AT&T)
The trees are snapping from the heavy weight!
It's so cold out I hope my guests are late!

Because I need to go over and check that things are done . . .before you to come.
And make sure . . . the heat's on!...."

... In KC it goes from 60 to 0 and back again. lol!.

May I say @Christine615, that you really painted a picture! The heavy snow must be quite a problem. I saw a video showing the dangers of not scraping the block of snow off the hoods of  the car, before driving... impacting on other car windscreens, like a big roo in flight!

Storms taking out your essential amenities is terrifying and so stressful, so I hope your guests were indeed late. 60F is 15.5°Celsius. For me, that’s heater weather, let alone 0° ! 😱

🙌🏼

But may I say Christine my friend,

you took the rhyme and with it ran........

so you win the admiration of this host, with the humour in your post.

So as my evening begins to end, let see if others can

take the baton to run or canter?

I stand and clap my Kansas friend, for the knowledge and the banter.

🙌🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Thanks @Cathie19 i originally lived in cities where winter stayed cold consistently until spring but here the weather swings wildly so there is no time for our bodies to adjust. One day we’ll have an ice storm with power outages and downed trees then warm weather comes two days later and we get soggy flooding.  Then spring gets skipped in favor of a blazing summer followed by fall tornado season. I’m being facetious but only a bit 😄

i write children’s books full time so I loved the rhymes in these posts and could not resist the challenge. My phone’s autocorrect function added extra words so the meter is off ❤️