Hello Ontario STR Hosts April 3, 2021 Ontario is going into a COVID-19 LOCKDOWN for 30 days

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

Hello Ontario STR Hosts April 3, 2021 Ontario is going into a COVID-19 LOCKDOWN for 30 days

Hello Ontario STR Hosts

@Lawrene0, @Alexandra316

Once again, 😷 , as of tomorrow April 3, 2021 Ontario Canda is going into a COVID-19 Lockdown for 30 days for short term rentals.

To see the rules go to todocanada website.

20 Replies 20
Ilse56
Level 2
Milton, Canada

Do we have to cancel all April bookings?

M199
Level 10

Good Evening @Ilse56 

@Lawrene0 

As of midnight tomorrow, it is illegal to provide short term rentals in Ontario, unless specifically for primary housing Basically the same rules a the last lock down.  Please see the below, copyright to the "To Do Canada" website.

Rental accommodations Hotels, motels, lodges, cabins, cottages, resorts student residences and other shared rental accommodations

• Indoor pools, fitness centres or other recreational facilities closed.

Short-term rentals

Short-term rentals (for example, cottages, cabins) are only to be provided to individuals who are in need of housing.

With the exception of exercising an Aboriginal or treaty right, ice fishing huts may:

• only be used by to members of the same household
  • not be used overnight

Seasonal campgrounds

Campsites must be made available only for trailers and recreational vehicles that are:

• used by individuals who are in need of housing
  • permitted to be there by the terms of a full season contract

Only campsites with electricity, water services and facilities for sewage disposal may be provided.

All recreational facilities in the campground and all other shared facilities in the campground, other than washrooms and showers, must be closed.

Other areas of the campground must be closed to the general public (may only be opened for preparing the seasonal campground for reopening).

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@M199 Thanks for the update! I have long term guests for the next two months who are using my place as a primary residence, so luckily I'm good. I hope that by the end of those two reservations, the lockdown will be over. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Lockdown, in this day & age? I thought the world had moved on from that model and are banking on herd immunity and vaccines. Granted 30 days is not too draconian and may help. Good luck.

@Fred13 sadly not... You should see what it's like in the Netherlands. I've been here for 5 months and have still never seen the inside of a restaurant. We're not allowed to go out after 10 pm either. It **bleep**ing blows and I'm so unbelievably sick of it. 

I feel for you! Eating out is what has kept me sane over the last year.

@Emilia42 I really miss it. We're also not allowed to go to stores unless they're essential (grocery, drug stores). If you want to get anything from another store, you have to place a pickup order or make a short shopping appointment. 

Brad-And-Kim0
Level 2
Niagara Falls, Canada

hi Ontario Welcome to our continually changing world.  We are in Niagara on the lake  and see interested in expanding to other great areas in Ontario.  Would wish to have a partner who lives in the area. Let us know if of interest. 

stay well 

Ryan584
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

So, are people asking guests to reschedule their stays? It seems that sometimes these orders are only for new bookings, and other times they are an immediate stop. Prince Edward county is posted as an an immediate stop, while the “all of Ontario” button on Air bnb’s site just goes to the province’s COVID website.  

@Ryan584  It doesn't matter what is on the Airbnb site. They can't keep track of changing Covid restrictions throughout the world. You have to abide by your local and provincial restrictions or you could be fined.

You have to contact all your upcoming guests and hopefully get them to reschedule, unless they fall under the exceptions allowed.

M199
Level 10

@Ryan584 

Where is that button on the website.  Can you please print screen and post it?

It's a tough call.  For April 2021 I asked guests to either rebook or cancel from there end.  I do not want to be in contravention of local laws.  I offer guests the chance to rebook on the future with a refund of cleaning fees.  Just a bit of a carrot in front of the horse.  About 30% have rebooked for later this year.

As of today's announcement, I believe that hosts need to review how the legislation  applies to their listings.  

As a side note, if you go to your Superhost performance and click on learn more, you will see that Airbnb has temporarily cancelled the <1% cancellation rate for pretty much the rest of 2021.  I was worried about losing my Superhost status just because if the April  2021 lockdown.

Screenshot_20210407-214421_CTV News.jpg

7F447609-6131-455C-ABEF-EB61BFFF3A50.png
Just this one under travel restrictions. 

I suppose that clause covers short-term-rentals. Though hotels and cabins can still be used, which seems unfair. Why is my cottage less safe than one run by a resort? 

@Ryan2272  According to the govt. info @M199 posted upthread, hotels aren't allowed to rent short term either.

And regardless, hotels are subject to health and safety inspections, private homes aren't.

M199
Level 10

@Ryan2272 

Thanks very much for the link👍

Cottage vs Cabin?  A rose by any other name is still a rose. Agreed, in my opinion, my cottage is a lot safer than a commercial business.

Legal gooble-dee-goop!