Hello from California

Hello from California

Hello!

My wife and I will be visiting Ireland for the first time this summer (July 10-23). We love getting of the beaten path and find small local events to visit. Looking for suggestions on non-tourist things to do. Our idea of a perfect sunday afternoon is dancing with friends, then enjoying a communal lunch at our local farmer's market. If you have any good ideas for us I would love to hear them, and would certainly be happy talk about our little corner of paradise here in northern California.

cheers!

Patrick

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Patrick-and-Kathryn0

Here are a few ideas....check your dates against a What's On for Ireland next year.

Traditional Irish Music festivals, Arts Festivals etc are still very much local events and ideal territory for great local experiences. Galway Arts Festival is on while you are in Ireland and the final night parade of giant puppets through the streets is fantastic, and Galway is a fun city. While you are there go out to Connemara and travel out to the Aran Islands - the furthest west you can go in Europe before hitting North America. A step back in time - suggest staying overniight at least one night on the main island and going to one of the music sessions in the local pubs

Not sure what your travel plans are but...here are a few of my favourite towns, all of which offer music, local markets, lovely scenery etc.: Clifden (Co Galway), Westport (Co.Mayo), Kinsale, Cobh and the small towns and villages of West Cork. The Ring of Kerry or Beara Peninsula (less touristy) are magnificent (on a sunny day at least!). 

Thanks for the tips.  We had already planned on stopping by Galway for the arts festival.  Looking into spending a day at Aran as well.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great tips here @Gerry-And-Rashid0, you are making me want to go visit now. 🙂 @Patrick-and-Kathryn0, just checking you have seen Gerry's reply here?

Also mentioning in @Steve143 who lives in Ireland who might be able to add to this great list.

Thank you all.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ellen164
Level 2
United States

Hi Patrick and Kathryn,

Come stay in our home in the countryside in Cork,

our home is very historical and in a beautiful area of the country.

You could do day trips to Killarney and the ring of Kerry, also Blarney castle and surrounding area all within easy reach of our home.

kinsale is a must and again you could visit on a day trip from our home.

adare and adare village beautiful old world village and wonderful pubs and restaurants about 1 hour from our home.

There are many castles and ruins and lovely country towns , walks both mountain and river walks right at our door step.

We have a caretaker on site who is more than happy to help you, we also have a taxi driver should you require one for an evening out.

There are many local restaurants and pubs near by and wonderful people to help when needed.

Do check out my home you won't regret it.

Ellen