Hello

Ilana85
Level 2
Suva, Fiji

Hello

Hello, my name is Ilana. I am a host in Suva, Fiji and have been actively doing hosting for about 9 months now, hosting mostly tourists and some returning locals in the studio I run, which is part of my home as well buy downstairs. Just posting here to intorduce myself.  I have a question too for other hosts. I noticed many cancelations recently and had to change my policy to strict and firm to safeguard my bookings,  any advice about cancelation policy experiences from.the community here? Would appreciate any leads, thanks .

6 Replies 6
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Ilana85 

We also rely on Tourist for most of our bookings we have always had it set to strict cancellation, If not you will lose out.

You could have a booking that has had your calendar blocked for a couple of months then they cancel at last minute, the chances of you getting another booking are pretty slim.

We have also decided not to accept direct bookings they are the ones who have let us down at the last minute, It happened recently with a previous guest 2 days before he was due to arrive, So no more we have no cover, 

To be honest with you we have only had a couple of cancellations from airbnb and one no show but we were covered.

Dont forget we are not running a charity, 

Thanks @Sudsrung0  , agreed...how do we get the cover, I'm unfamiliar with this ? And by direct bookings, you mean guests booking via instant booking versus manually ? 

I mean if you have strict cancellation set, you will still get paid so you are "Covered"

Direct bookings are normally booking that dont come via Airbnb so you are not covered regarding payments,,

We have always had Instant Booking turned on, Dont make it difficult for people to book,

It is a known fact having Instant Booking on you will get more bookings, 

If you have IB turned on just make sure you respond right away, 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Ilana85,

I selected the Firm cancellation policy.  To me it's a good compromise for both guests and hosts., because it offers guests some flexibility, and if an cancellation occurs, provides hosts either guaranteed funds or period of time to get another booking.

• Firm cancellation policy: To receive a full refund, guests must cancel at least 30 days before check-in. They can also get a full refund within 48 hours of booking if the cancellation occurs at least 14 days before check-in. If they cancel between 7 and 30 days before check-in, you’ll be paid 50% for all nights. If they cancel less than 7 days before check-in, you’ll be paid 100% for all nights.

I also offer a non-refundable rate which provides a 10% discount along with the Firm Cancellation policy.

Debra300_0-1660264460002.png

Ilana85
Level 2
Suva, Fiji

Thanks @Debra300 . I've changed my cancelation policy now and it's the non refundable and Firm one as per above, offering the 10% discount...air bnb policies are quite confusing to me lol hope this one works for me now.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Ilana85,

I hope the change is helpful for you.  I am on an island also, and know that it may not be easy to get a replacement booking after a short notice cancellation.