Help in deciding whether to enter Airbnb business

Van22
Level 2
El Cerrito, CA

Help in deciding whether to enter Airbnb business

I just sold an apartment and am thinking of buying a home in the Lake Tahoe, CA area and doing STR. I had a property manager I didn't have to deal with it much.  My family and I are from the Bay Area and have had season passes for one of the ski resorts for the last 6 yrs.  We also go occasionally in the summer.  

How do go about trying to figure out what it is like to own a STR?  Is there a source that I can go to to get more info?  Thank you for any advice you can give.

5 Replies 5
Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

your best friend GOogle 

@Van22, one thing that might help you is to know what the average nightly rate and occupancy is for the area you are looking at.

For that kind of information, you can look at AirDNA. The Market Minder feature should tell you as part of the free sample service.

If you want more detailed info, it costs money. But I have usually found the free information is a good start.

(I do not work at AirDNA. I am not even a paying customer yet. I just look at the free stuff.)

Nice

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Van22 Tahoe is hostile territory for STRs right now. Google the subject and you’ll see how hostile it is right now. Good luck

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

April3
Level 5
South Lake Tahoe, CA

@Van

In South Lake Tahoe City Limits, it is not possible to procure a STR permit, as the city has imposed a cap, and a temporary moritorium. The county (google south lake tahoe city limits, then look outside it) is a bit more friendly, as is neighboring Douglas County in Nevada. 

But, I agree with others, it really depends what size/type of property you wish to buy, how often you plan to use it personally, and your budget to give you worthwhile information. When you narrow that down, it will help you start your search!