Help needed ! I am still waiting to receive from Airbnb a completed reservation payout [since November 2019 !! ]

Maria12494
Level 3
Larnaca, Cyprus

Help needed ! I am still waiting to receive from Airbnb a completed reservation payout [since November 2019 !! ]

Dear community of hosts !

Hope everyone is well and safe . 

I am reaching out to see if any of you had experienced a significant delay in  payouts of  completed reservations from @Airbnb . If yes please guide me through on what it needs to be done in order to receive a payout from a completed reservation in November 2019 .  The  support center  keeps replying to me each time that i reach out that the matter will be rectified soon . 

This reservation that i had took place in November 2019 and was completed without any problems (happy guests !). I noticed in December that this payout was missing and i contacted Airbnb . They told me that they will sort it out the soonest as they had a technical problem . I send another reminder on February 5th 2020 and received the same answer and then again on April 6th 2020 were the reply was that they apologise for the delay ( 5 months and counting ) and that they will escalate  this to the payments department .

Till today i have received no payment and this is unacceptable ! Its frustrating and disappointing ! What is going on with this organisation ? Please reach out if you had a similar problem or if you have any idea what i should do next ! 

Thank you 

Maria

7 Replies 7
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Maria12494 reaching out to them through social media- facebook, twitter is best in getting them to pay attention

@Inna22 thank you for your reply , i will try this as well .

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Maria12494

The issue of lost/delayed/withheld payouts is a massive problem on this platform, and one which has been going on for years (as has the forever-unfixed "technical issue" your missing funds has been blamed on). We're not hearing quite so much about it at the moment because reports are getting drowned out by the whole furore over the COVID/EC refund debacle, but it's still every bit as prevalent as it always was. (This post also applies to any host who finds themselves in the same position)

You've already been messed about for months, so there's no point in playing nice anymore, because that gets you absolutely nowhere with this company (as you've already discovered, to your cost)

If at all possible, contact your guest and clarify with them exactly how much they paid, and when they paid it. More often than not, the guest has indeed paid in full at the time, and will be shocked/disgusted to hear that you haven't received the money they thought they'd paid you, several months after they'd enjoyed your home and your hospitality. In those instances, the quickest and easiest way to have your money released, is for the guest to phone Airbnb and ask why their money hasn't been forwarded to you yet. That usually works a treat.

Another situation where host payouts are regularly withheld is where there was an alteration/amendment to the booking of any type, and (according to Airbnb, anyway), the funds somehow get "frozen" in their accounts. Once again, this is yet another "glitch" in the systems of a multi-billion dollar global tech company, that has somehow remained unfixed for years. They don't appear to have any alert system in place to notify them to any of these "frozen" payouts either, and they only ever come to light when the host discovers it themselves (which many won't, of course, because they unwisely trust that their Airbnb payouts are arriving in their accounts, on time, every time, so don't keep a running check on them.

Top tip to every host reading this - go have a look in your "Upcoming Payouts" tab in your Transaction History, and scroll right back to the beginning of your hosting endeavours, to make sure none of your own payouts have mysteriously been trapped in Airbnb's coffers either. You may be in for a nice little surprise windfall. If there are any "stuck" payouts, that's where they'll show up and while Airbnb may drag their heels a little on forwarding your own money to you, they will - and must - release it to you eventually.

Occasionally, there may genuinely have been an issue with the guest's payment method at some point during the course of the booking process, particularly if there was an amendment (card may have expired unknown to guest etc). In this situation, Airbnb will typically hold on to the payment amount already received from the guest (even though the adjustment amount may only be a tiny percentage of the entire payout), and fob the host off for months, with the excuse that they're having problems recouping the last part few dollars/euro/pounds from the guest, and will only release the payout to you as a whole, if/when they can retrieve the final part payment from the guest - which of course is ludicrous. For reasons known only to Airbnb though, they tend to be very intransigent in these particular instances, and you may have to fight like a demon to finally extract your payout from them.

So this is what you do - you sit down and write a strongly worded but polite email to Airbnb, advising them that you're fully aware that missing/delayed/withheld payouts is a known, longterm issue with this company, and include the links I'm going to post below as evidence of that. Advise them that if your money is not released with immediate effect, you're going to take your grievances to the Ombudsman, your national regulator, the Cyprus Tourist Board, the European Commission ODR (online dispute resolution platform), and the media. You should find that gets their attention pretty sharpish as the very last thing Airbnb needs right now is either the media or financial authorities digging about in their affairs. Then once your complaint has been received by them, just phone them up - every day if necessary - until you get what's rightfully and lawfully yours. Shouldn't take too long though, once you've made your intentions crystal clear to them.

Best of luck! 

Dear @Susan17 

thank you so much for your time and your valuable advice with links !!

I really appreciate it ! I will try to reach @Airbnb  one more time and then i will pursue the matter further by informing all industry regulators and media . 

and if you ever visit Cyprus please reach out  🙂

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Maria12494 

@Susan17  is right. This is not an uncommon problem. Only this month, I finally got paid for three 'frozen' payments, pending in my account for several months, the earliest dating back to August 2018!! One of these was for a successfully completed stay. The other two were for alteration requests which the guest had accepted and paid for.

Each time I called Airbnb, the rep told me it was a technical glitch and would be fixed within a few days. Then nothing would happen. I just kept messaging about it until I finally got a really helpful rep who made sure the relevant team dealt with it. These were not huge amounts, so I guess that's why I didn't stress out too much, but just kept messaging again about it. I think @Susan17 's suggestion of getting the guest to contact Airbnb if you think they would be amenable to it is a good one.

Dear @Huma0 , 

thank you for sharing your experience ! 

I will contact @Airbnb one more time and then proceed with @Susan17 suggestions . 

Best 

Maria