Help out a newbie!

Laurence249
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Help out a newbie!

Hi guys,

I've recently started renting my apartment out - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/22300229

I'm renting it out because I want to move in with my girlfriend so I need to get as many bookings as possible to cover my mortgage! 

Can anyone take a look at my listing and give me some tips/pointers to improve it in order to make more money from it?

I'm currently at an occupancy rate of 7% - although I've only had the listing live since 20th December 2017. Do you think my pricing is correct and my pictures are good enough? 

If anyone could help me make more money from my listing and enable me to move in with my girlfriend I'd be iternally grateful! 🙂

Thanks

Laurence

8 Replies 8
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laurence249 

Hi - a few suggestions

First the place looks great, and on first glance the sort of place I would book, however as I look through t he photos I would change my mind for the following reasons:

- there are not enough photographs of the property. I see only one bedroom, yet you say there are two. I would also make the bed in the first bedroom as it  looks a bit messy

- the terrace is lovely but unusuable as there is no garden furniture so its just an empty space. A nice lounger or all weather wicker seating and table set would make this great You reference a BBQ pit and table etc but I can't see anything, So perhaps a better photo of the terrace with the furniture etc

- the living room has one sofa and nothing else. I dont see how 4 people could use it - 2 on the sofa and 2 where? Two small armchairs and a small coffee table would make it seem cosy and welcoming

- the pic of the bathroom is lovely but cold - a pile of white fully towels etc make it feel welcoming

Overall I guess the place looks great if these pics were for an estate agent, but people looking for quality want to feel pampered and you can do this easily by make the place a bit more warm and appealing

Hope that helps - good luck

Thanks for the detailed response Gerry!

You're spot on about the estate agents, I've used their pictures for a lot of the photos, so I'll take your comments on board and make the place look a little more inviting and add some finishing touches to things.

While I've got you - what sort of occupancy rate do you think I should be aiming for?

Thanks again,

Laurence

@Laurence249

Really difficult to know to be honest I would guess that winter season (excluding CHristmas and New Year) you probably should go for 3 night min stays and hope for longer bookings. However from March through to end Oct I think 4 or 5 nights minimum would work well as the location would suit those wanting a base to explore the Cotswolds. You can set bespoke rates and min number of nights - for specific periods like Easter, Bank Holiday Weekends, etc..

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Beside what @Gerry-And-Rashid0 said, I would add a coffee table to the sitting room - some people drink beer/wine/others while watching TV, and also some greenery - maybe on the terrace? And pics of the staircase, @Laurence249?

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thanks Marzena

Good point, I think I need to warm the place up a bit and add in some new pictures 🙂

Thanks a lot for your input!

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Hi @Laurence249 Your listing is still very new and I have at least found that Dec/Jan are slower than other months have been. Also your occupancy I think will automatically go up once you have a few reviews under your belt. I would also encourage you to assess your competition. Are there a lot of airbnbs in your area or are you pretty unique. That and take note of their pricing. This will also feed into what is a realistic occupancy for you. Do you have Instant Book on? That may help increase bookings but do be aware of some of the pitfalls with Instant Book and read here through the forums for tips. Hope that helps!

VisitSanMiguel0
Level 2
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Honestly, don't rely on Airbnb. They will side with the guest, and guests stay for FREE if they find even one flaw in your listing. I would never rely on this platform to cover a mortgage! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Lawrence, you seem entirely focused on making as much money as possible, which you state you need to pay the mortgage. It is really important that you don't lose sight of the fact that you are a host- if the money is going to be your sole focus, and you do not also focus on what guests expect from a host, and how to be a great host, you may end up getting bad reviews, or guests requesting a refund, which would really impact your mortgage paying abilities. Just something to consider.....