Help us to help you….. Let’s help each other?

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Help us to help you….. Let’s help each other?

Here we go again… @Christine615 

Deep breath and a lot of effort that I shouldn’t have to do. This should be the PREREQUISITE for joining the site. @Airbnb  , please hear my prayer 🙏🏽………

Disclosure: 

My listing “settings” allows potential guests who don’t fit my “instant book” criteria to make contact with me. After all, communication really is part of the backbone to this platform. It assists for that good match and if the gut isn’t raising red flags of concern… then all systems generally are a go!  

But seriously…. This guest hasn’t met any of my criteria, nor most hosts.

I have just received an enquiry for some dates that have reopened due to cancellations from hotspot lock downs occurring in Victoria. 

Please understand: I have no issues with being the first person to host a newly joined guest. Quite contrary. We all have to start somewhere, so having some responsibility for me as a host, to guide a “new” to the platform guest, is expected and accepted. I have no issues accepting guests who apply and meet criteria. So why shouldn’t you be the same? This is a symbiotic relationship. 

HOWEVER:

I don’t expect to have to start off the basics by writing educational paragraphs to a newly joined guest. What they need to do, to be liked and feel there is trust or safety on the platform for hosts. “Do this, and hosts will love to have you stay more often!” It’s not my job!  You see, hosts want to feel safe as well as the guests. Yes us little hosts…. …. …

This guest was

-  New to the platform (that’s perfectly okay)

-  No profile information > non existent profile

-  No verifications: no email, no phone number, nor any other form of identification.

-  Information nil….. Seriously Airbnb HAB & @Catherine-Powell, please on behalf of all hosts, can you address this problem with the powers that be.? This has been raised in other threads. I do actually have a life outside AIrbnb and this basic stuff is not my job. It’s Airbnbs job to educate incoming. Mine is to guide along the way. Not be teacher and nana.

Please respect us as your super-hosts and those wanting to be here, rather than just your piggy bank. I respect you, but it needs to be a two way street.

As I’ve said before, we all need to make the platform better, before bigger.  Bigger comes AFTER quality assurance. That way, it also grows in the appropriate manner, in the right direction:

With quality

With safety

With trust

With knowledge

With assurance

With good quality hosts

With good quality guests

All these things will improve Airbnbs platform standing in cities and communities, for the positive word of mouth will make all lovely people, want to be part of it. 

Airbnb’s  reputation improves, demand improves, stock improves etc etc etc. See the positive and quality improved pattern? With a “rule breakers or non-compliant - aren’t welcome attitude”,  this will also drive an improved standing: as good rules and boundaries make for a great system. Compassion also grows positively, hand in hand. This perception is of “the person”. No gimmick advertising needed.

All these things will reduce complaints and poor compliance.

So please do your part in this relationship: educate and restrict until what needs to be known and done has happened.

Seriously, we know a phone number could be a burned phone, but absolutely no information????
Currently your systems joining procedure is showing itself to be Pi$$
 poor and deeply flawed and lacking. 

Fond regards 

a friend. 🌻🙃

57F4ED66-00ED-4B39-B714-A38998D869AF.jpeg

15 Replies 15

@Cathie19  All those brand names mean nothing to.me either, and I'm American/Canadian 🙂 As far as I'm concerned, as long as the fridge keeps things cold and the freezer freezes, the label on it, or how much it cost, is immaterial.

I can understand why a home owner would want to buy a certain brand of appliance if it has a really good reputation, but I can't imagine why a guest would care.