Help with pointers...?

Patrick913
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Help with pointers...?

Guest just checks in and and calls me to complain about the smell of the place saying that it smells like a "new house".  It's not a new house smell...its the shampoo smell used for the tiled floors (China people think that that smell is new house smell for some reason).  Then complains about another thing...after another thing...all in which is not valid complaints as they are all listed on the description of the villa.  She then says she will stay one night but want a refund for the next and she will checkout tomorrow.  I told her that as a courtesy I would let her check out and give her a 50% refund for that second night.  I know she is going to give me a bad review.  How can I work this out to give her the money back and not let her bad mouth my place?  Because honestly, if I give her this courtesy...all i want in return is for her not to write any review.  If she is going to give me a bad review anyways...I might as well NOT give her that courtesy and just tell her to take it with AirBnB!!  Any pointers??

2 Replies 2
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Patrick913  She probably had a change in plans and wants out of the other day. You are going to get a bad review whether you refund or not, so I would not refund. Document everything in the AirBnB messaging system and all your replys to her complaints to prove they are not valid. Then call AirBnB before she does and get it on the record before she calls them demanding a full refund. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I am confused as to what being a new house or not has to do with the guest complaint, but your description does state this is a new house.  Your pictures are stunning!  I agree with Letti (unable to tag for some reason) that you should not give a refund as you have a strict cancellation policy.  It will not "buy" you a good review.  When you get her review, provide a short response that the guest left early.

I did notice  that you have stated there is a security deposit that is taken and refunded less the cost of power.  That is NOT how Air BNB security deposit works, so you might edit that portion.  If you are charging an additional amount for the usage of power, then you must disclose it on the listing.  You would then use the send or request money function on the reservation to seek the fee.