Helped by a host?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Helped by a host?

Helped by a host.jpg

Hello everyone,

It is not always easy to start hosting. Here and there, everyone needs support, be it with your listing itself, with getting along on the Airbnb platform or even tips for the first potential guests.

Have you ever helped a person start hosting? Or, did you even get support to start hosting? 

I'm looking forward to reading your comments!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

12 Replies 12
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Certainly have, a couple of times! Setting up accounts, alerting to the pitfalls and needs of new hosts to avoid everything being a surprise. If a process can be made smoother and lead to more confident hosting from the get-go, so much the better.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is so nice to hear @Sandra126!

Were these local hosts? 

-----

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Quincy  I actually made an international call to one new host who's listing was completely screwed up to help walk him through it. I studied STR's for two years before I started mine. I tried to learn everything I could. Now I try to pay it forward and help some of the new hosts out there. It's a very extensive learning curb and most don't have the time I had to investigate all the areas that would effect me running the 2 rentals. I'll be listing my 2nd one the Cottage shortly on sites. I  had a construction delay of two weeks, so it will be the end of the month now before I can list it. Argh!!! 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's amazing @Letti0!

This remembers me of when I started hosting. A few years ago my friend helped me by explaining how Airbnb exactly works!

I also want to let you know that we actually have a topic about before and after pictures of members renovating their homes (created by @Huma0) so feel free to share some pictures!

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy

I actually put a potential new host off hosting (for now anyway as she is consdiering it for the future). Although I would not have minded receiving the referral fee, I thought it would be dishonest to tell this friend of the family that hosting in your own home is 'easy money', which is the perception that many people have outside of the hosting community.

This lady had just had a baby and was looking for some extra income before going back to work. Before I spoke to her, she thought all she needed to do was pick a price for her spare room and then people would pay to stay and that was all there was to it.

I talked her through what was involved, e.g. listings, marketing, admin, cleaning, laundry etc. Also, not all guests will enjoy being woken up in the early hours by a newborn! She did not know about the review system, let alone the importance of postive reviews, so this wasn't something she had considered either. 

She decided she just wasn't ready for any of that. She already hated cleaning her apartment and did not have budget to pay for help, was exhausted from being a new mother and her husband was not keen on the whole idea in the first place.  

She said she would reconsider it once the baby was older and, if she does, I will be happy to offer advice and help her put together her listing, but the last thing I wanted to do was to mislead someone and for them to bite off more than they could chew. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Huma0

I'm glad you were able to help her in some way with making her decision. I think you did the right thing as it's better to be fully prepared for hosting! 

-----

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Quincy I helped someone who had just moved back to my area after spending a few years abroad in Asia set up their new Airbnb. We met at an open house event for small businesses set up by my hair salon.  She mentioned that she was trying to set up an Airbnb alongside her photography buiness to help pay the bills, and I offered to help. It was fun and interesting: going through the checklist of things to buy, passing on supplier information, going over how to set up the listing, etc. I enjoyed it.

I hosted.

I shared.

I helped.

I took.

I gave.

I made a lot of mistakes.

But, most of all, I learned.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very thoughtful @Emily352 haha! 

-----

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

The only support I got was reading threads on this board.  But the last airbnb we stayed in as a guest was a brand new host.  They had no reviews and we get that 20% discount becasue we were one of their first 7 to book.  When we got there the place needed a LOT of work.  It was not decorated in any way, not very clean, TV didn't work,  worn out mis matched towels....just lacking overall.  Luckily they got me and not some a--hole.  It was a nice young couple and I decided to help them out.  First I gave them 5* across the board becasue I know how important the first few reviews are, but then wrote a long email listing how I thought they could improve.  From major safety concerns to the little touches.  It could be an amazing rental unit...right on the water, super cute little cottage.  Not sure if they took my advice or not.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Yes 🙂 my friend helped me, I helped another host... we are all in the same street , one is in the same building / and other in the building accross the street. Yes we are competitors but we don't look it that way, instead we share our guests in case of overbooking or if we are booked and get an inquiry for those dates and everybody happy  🙂

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Branka-and-Silvia0,

Wow, talk about teamwork! 

Do you sometimes help each other with checking in guests? 

-----