Hey SUPERHOSTS ! What ONE complimentary thing that you absolutely must do for guests experience?

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

Hey SUPERHOSTS ! What ONE complimentary thing that you absolutely must do for guests experience?

Hey SUPERHOSTS!

Seriously, what's the ONE 'complimentary' UNEXPECTED, wow factor thing that you absolutely must do for your guest experience?

Plain and simple:  What is it that you hands-down, without a shadow of a doubt MUST include in each and every one of your listings' stay experiences.

Hard question for some, probably very easy question for other Superhosts.

Grazie and thanks,

Rosalind

57 Replies 57
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Honestly ..... alcohol. If I suspect/know the guest is under age, I leave some kind of local soda or apple cider. My family owes a shop that sells wine and beer so I can get some really good prices. I also leave fresh baked cookies that my father makes in the store's bakery.

@Emilia42 You are so fortunate to have the ability to purchase alcohol at a discounted price.  We first thought of offering it, but this house is in a college town and we've already had a few rounds of non-stop partyers until dawn.  So we are trying to tone down the party notion of the house and change the words in our listing to reflect that.  We offer fresh water and ice both in the fridge and in a pitcher in order to avoid the use of plastic bottles.  I really do like the idea of apple cider, especially now!  What a great idea!  Kids would appreciate that as well!  You are so so lucky to have a family baker!  We pick up some from a local baker, but they surely can't taste like your fathers!!!

@Rosalind41, just this week I forgot to put toilet paper in the bathroom! Even though I have changed over the space 300+ times I still forgot it! I didn't realize until after the guest checked out and there was a 4 pack of toilet paper purchased from the gas station up the road. I immediately messaged the guest and apologized and offered to pay them back. They said that they were so pleasantly surprised by the extra treats that I left for them and that was worth more then having to run out and grab some toilet paper. They gave me a 5 star review. Embarrassingly enough, this is actually the second time this has happened! I can't help but wonder if the outcome would be differ if I offered just a bed in a room, even with a smile.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I can't do anything, @Rosalind41 - food would attract mice, beverages would freeze, flowers get knocked over in the small space (as I learned my first few weeks). There is no surprise I can provide beyond a metal container of tap water, and I only just started that this summer because I was given a pair of insulated metal water bottles.

I seldom find surprise treats at the Airbnbs at which I stay. And yet they are superhosts, and yet I am one, too. 

I think if you provide exactly what you say you are going to provide, you'll get full stars from anyone who is reasonable. No tricks necessary.

But, yum, @Emilia42 ! Cookies!

@Lawrene0 We also learned the hard way about those darn mice!  So we only put the cookies and/or chocolates in the fridge.  I have had outstanding treats at "Villas of Distinction" home rentals and through AirBnB . . . each time a bottle of wine and a basket of fruit.  The first place was pristine and immaculate with a private dipping pool on and island and very pricey.  The second place was a dump up a flight of 4 stairs with no elevator and I am in a wheelchair.  You live and learn I guess.  So I use the first place as my benchmark to work towards and to avoid the likes of the second place.

@Lawrene0 I hear you on the food treats. I always have a chuckle when hosts say they leave chocolates on the pillow- they'd melt quite quickly here, or be covered in ants in short order. Chocolate-covered ants, anyone?

@Sarah977 Oh yes, I hear you on that tiny, yet huge issue about leaving out chocolates.  The mice not only nibbled on the bedside chocolates, they also chewed into the complimentary coffee packets!  Traps left out all over the house when guests are not staying has certainly helped.  Sadly, the colder weather coming is causing them to seek warmth inside!  Ugh!

I know that feeling @Sarah977

When we first moved to the tropics and had our first Xmas, family sent through the mail some chocolates in a tin.  

You can well realise our SURPRISE when we unwrapped and opened the present. What the ants hadn’t got to from the sugary centres... the chocolates had melted....

I still reminisce when I go south and find EVERYTHING  in the pantry. HERE it’s fridge, fridge and more fridge... or airtight containers.

My beautiful ceramic canisters got thrown out decades ago, with onions, all veg including potatoes located in the fridge.

So moving forward to Airbnb guests, some initially seem surprised to find the fruit, wine and chocolates in the fridge!

😁😆😂🤣🤣. 🌴🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🌞🌞🔥🔥🔥☃️

@Cathie19  I just sprung for a new fridge, although the old one still worked fine. There were a couple things wrong with it- the rubber seal had gone hard after 11 years, and couldn't be replaced, so it was leaking a bit from the freezer compartment onto the top of the lower door, which I'd find wet every morning, and the finish was starting to wear off in places. But mostly it was that I found I needed a larger fridge. The size I had was one that had always served me well, but that was before I was living in the tropics. When you have to store an open packet of crackers, even sealed up in a zip-lock bag, in the fridge, because if you leave it out, the crackers quickly go soft from the humidity, and refrigerate all the other stuff you used to keep in the cupboards, you need a lot bigger fridge!

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 i have seen something very similar to this concept being sold here at a high end department store- so I suppose there is a market for it. 😏

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I pick my guests up at the local bus station when they get in, as most fly here and take the 1 hour bus ride from the airport. I don't offer this in my listing, just offer and make the arrangements after a guest books.

This is not just for them, but for also for my stress-level. My place is really hard to find the first time. While I do send my guests a map and written directions as back-up, it's easier to drive the 5 minutes to the bus station than be anxious that guests will be trudging down the road with their luggage, lost.They could grab a taxi, but even the taxi drivers have had issues following the directions.

A few have arrived by taxi when they found their phones didn't work here, as their provider back home had assured them it would. So they couldn't call me to let me know they'd arrived in town. A couple of guests insisted that they wanted to walk, so I let them and they found it without much, if any, trouble with my map.

I also drive them back to the station when they leave, which all have been super appreciative of, as it saves them a 20 minute walk down a dirt road, starting off their journey home hot and sweaty or a $6 taxi ride.

@Sarah977 I'd say that is quite an awesome perk!  This happened to us in Rome where the traffic and stress level is off the charts.  We so appreciated the ride, which offset the apartment that was a complete pit!  I also offer a map, but with GPS systems in smartphones, our place is super easy to find by car.  Great tip and perk though!

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Rosalind41 To be honest, I simply fulfill the promises made in the listing. The breakfast is placed in their rooms. The rooms are spotless. The drawers and closets are ready for their things. One unexpected thing is the "pillow bar" which everyone loves and almost no one uses. I don't promise homemade yogurt, but it usually is. That seems to go over well. Sometimes I am making my husband's favorite cookies, and guests seem to love them as much as he does.

Oh, and I mostly like people and treat everyone sincerely with a smile.

Hi @Susan151  I agree about the truth in listing.  We've been successful in that regard.  I am just one that loves a 'wow' factor in anything that I pay for.  And I love hearing about what superhosts do to achieve that.  It is so gratifying to know that those little extras are so appreciated by guests.  And I am learning from all of you on how to achieve this (these). 

If I were 'there' nearby my house on AirBnB, I'd love to offer breakfast. I have a house manager and she is doing a great job with all but cooking breakfasts.  Homemade cookies would be the bomb, but I have to settle for store-bought.  They are always devoured, but never mentioned in a review.  Guests have mentioned that they love the little 'added touches' that help them feel welcomed.  No one has ever pointed any particular 'thing' out though.  Maybe later reviews will give me more specifics.

Thanks!!!