Hi

Giorgi666
Level 2
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hi

Hi, everyone 🙂

Firs thing - I want to change my nickname here 666 and don't know how.

Question:

Yesterday my guest checked in for 32 days stay.  Today he complained about dust and uncleanness. I offered him to fix it but he denied. I cleaned the house just before the day.  May be there remained minor dust on the shelves and a few books. He texted we was writing to Airbnb about the issue. He was very rude: "You would have to throw out all of the books which are more than 50 years ago and covered in dust, as well as throw out the furniture which is impossible to sit on it there is so much dust on it. If you do this, we can talk." Then he left the apartment as he told me leaving the lights on as I could see from the window and licking conditioner bothering the neighbour . He requests me to refund 300$ from 395$ ( his 450$) but he has not cancelled the reservation as the long term cancellation policy is working in this case and he won't receive anything if cancels. 

1. How should I act? I don't really need his money for the whole month, but I am afraid Airbnb will charge me if he has complained me and I don't want to be double charged. 

2. How  doI know if he complained me: should I have received any message or notification from Airbnb?

3. May Airbnb require from me to refund him? When I will know it? What if I will already have spent money, how I am going to compensate him?

4. Should I refund him before he cancels as I am worried about if I do so he won't cancel and will still officially remain as my guest and I won't be able to enter the apartment.

5. Can I enter my apartment during the rental period and in what cases? 

11 Replies 11
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Giorgi666,

This guest will be a problem during his entire stay.  Tell the guest that you are willing to approve a cancellation, and will refund him for all of the nights that he's not stayed at your place.  He can contact Airbnb to cancel.  You should not do it, because it will count against you.

The number behind your name reflects which number of Giorgi has signed up to the community.  So, 665 people with the name Giorgi have signed before you.

@Katie@Quincy@Liv , do you think you can help Giorgi change the number designation for his community name?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Katie Perhaps the devil's number should not be available for users of the forum. Equally 13 could be avoided as well.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Debra300 @Giorgi666 

Thanks for the tag! I'm afraid it's not possible to change your username here on the CC currently. 

@Mike-And-Jane0 yes, noted. Unfortunately there are lots of numbers that certain cultures associate with bad luck or similar, so it can exclude a lot of them - different people respond to numbers in different ways. I'll feed back on it though, thank you 😊

Giorgi666
Level 2
Tbilisi, Georgia

Thank you 🙂 

His request is still in force  At Resolution Center. Beneath the message it's written: 50 hours remaining. Reason : " inaccurate or unclean listing". 

Should I give him back money or wait for Airbnb's respond? 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Giorgi666,

Have you received a request from Airbnb to cancel the reservation or is it a request for a full refund?

@Sarah977, @Emilia42 what do you suggest for Giorgi to do?

He canceled today by himself. No it's his request for 300$ . But as it is " Travel Issue" for unclean and inaccurate I am afraid to transfer money to him because may be Airbnb requires me to refund him and I will be double charged.

Complicated situation. I could not read anywhere the exact rules so deciding for 50 hours to expire letting Airbnb to make decision.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Giorgi666,

You are correct.  Do not refund him any money directly, and let Airbnb handle the financial transaction.  Be prepared that they may give him a full refund. 

You have a nice apartment, and I know that it's your home, but typical housecleaning isn't sufficient for renting out your space to people who don't know you.  Cleanliness is your losted rated area.  So, that appears to be an area for improvement.  After he's been gone from your space for at least 24 hours, I recommend that you do a thorough cleaning.  Pay attention to clean the books, furniture and other things that accumulate dust.  Start from the ceiling down when dusting.  Clean the light fixtures first and the tops of cabinets and book cases, and vacuum upholstered furniture.

When you write your review of the guest, just say something simple like, "Guest stayed one night."  If he leaves you a review that mentions the space was unclean, respond that without emotion.   State that you did clean the space before he arrived, and he contacted you about his concern, you offered to come back and do any additional cleaning.  You agreed to let him cancel his reservation early, and you are working to strengthen the cleaning protocol of the apartment to ensure that it meets your guest's satisfaction.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your advices *: 

Yes, I am gonna wait no other way :))

@Debra300  While @Giorgi666 's listing has a 4.5 cleanliness rating, his written reviews, except for one from what appears to be a major complainer (funnily enough, another host, probably one of those who has to find fault with other host's listings) who has made things up, never mention anything about the place not being clean. In fact, many of them state that it was quite clean.

I can never understand that discrepancy- when a rating doesn't jive with the written reviews, but I know that sometimes it's a matter of tending to get guests from areas where people have some idea that you only leave 5*s for a high end luxury hotel.

Nevertheless,  it never hurts for a host to try to step up the cleaning a bit or whatever other thing they aren't getting high ratings on and see if that makes a difference.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do not refund him directly. The most I would give this guest is his cleaning fee back.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Giorgi666 

I hope your difficult guest will be gone soon! 

RE the cleanliness, although most of your guests don't seem to have a problem with it and 4.5 stars doesn't sound that low, that does seem like your weakest rating and possibly what is stopping you from becoming a Superhost (unless you cancelled a guest in the past year?) as your reviews are generally very good.

I have a lot of books in a couple of the rooms at my place. I find the easiest way to clean these is using an old fashioned feather duster on the books and then a microfibre cloth and furniture spray on the exposed parts of the shelves. If you do this regularly, it becomes a quick and easy task. However, if you haven't done it for ages, you may need to take off all the books to give them and the shelves a proper dusting.

If you have fabric coverings for your sofas etc and they are not removable/washable, they can be kept dust free by using the upholstery attachment on the vacuum cleaner. This will help prolong the life of the covers as, if dust is allowed to accumulate for too long, the dirt becomes permanent. I also spray the upholstery with a fabric freshener.

A lot of people forget about these things and only clean the hard surfaces and floors, but remember that dust is mostly dead skin cells and a lot of people have allergies etc. so you are going to get some guests that freak out if they see much dust in any area.