High usage guests

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

High usage guests

How to review the guest who uses everything in a very short period of time? For example,  a couple weekend stay when all beds are slept in, all towels in two bathrooms used, half a huge container of coffee plus an entire sleeve of Nespresso pods gone, multiple big bags of trash, all toilet paper rolls gone, an entire roll of paper towels finished etc? The kind of stay where you suspect there might have been extra guests because so many things have been consumed and dirtied? 

As a host I wouldn't necessarily reject this type of guest so long as rules are followed but I would love to be prepared to bring extra supplies after a stay like this. Is there anything you would suggest to say in a review to signal this might be the case? 

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"We were left wondering if more people had stayed other than the one couple who had booked a 2 night stay, as all of the beds were slept in, all of the extra towels used, all of the spare toilet paper gone, an entire roll of paper towels, a pound of coffee and a entire sleeve of Nespresso pods. Hard to understand how 2 people for 2 days could have gone through that much stuff."

@Laura2592 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

P.S. I suspect they took all the toilet paper, the pods, and the paper towels with them, if they didn't have more people over.

@Sarah977 they drank a lot of coffee as we found the pods in the trash and the machine.  The rest of it? No idea!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

I think that I'd say something like, "XX and his/her partner really tried to experience all that the cottage had to offer during their short stay.  We found that all towels in both bathrooms were used, and all of the beds had been slept in.  They really enjoyed the Nespresso by the number of empty pods we found.  However, we have been unable to locate the extra toilet paper, paper towels and garbage bags that were stocked before their stay."

For my listings, I limit the opportunity for guests to be abuse amenities or have things go missing.  I don't leave out more stuff than I think the guests will use during their stay.  For a couple's weekend getaway, I lock off the second bedroom, and leave out the amount of towels and toilet paper that should cover their stay (one set of towels each and a full roll).  Ironically, almost all of my guests have not been hot beverage drinkers, and although I leave a variety of Keurig pods, ground coffee, tea and instant hot coco, they aren't often consumed.

I am sure that you will leave an appropriate review.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

This is why I don’t provide more than a “starter pack” of coffee, soaps, shampoos, etc., and I list the starter pack contents in my House Rules.

As far as using every towel, linen, etc., I advertise the items available, so I wouldn’t mark guests down for their use.  I just keep the contents minimal, simple, and free of anything too valuable, and expect things to be used.

I had a friend once who used a management company for her short-term rental.  A guest came who turned the air conditioner on full blast and opened all the windows.  The house was left that way. My friend’s AC bill tripled that month.  The AC bill showed the increased usage during the guest’s stay. My friend asked the management company to collect that portion of the utility bill from the guests, but they told her “Oh, no, that is part of the guest amenities, and they are entitled to use everything as they see fit during their stay.” Now, to me, that’s going too far!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 that's tough, they haven't necessarily done anything "wrong", but you have a good idea of "normal usage" and these guests went over it.

on the one hand, I agree with the idea that you don't leave out more than what guests should use: only put sheets on one bed, only put towels in one bathroom, only leave out as much coffee as normal people should need, etc

on the other hand, it's crummy to go around hosting with a stingy mindset bc of people like this.

I'd probably give them a "2 night guests" review with an overall lower stars, don't know if I'd markdown rules, communication, or cleanliness for what you've described but I'd probably mark "would not like to host again"

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

I don't think that I am being stingy.  I have two listings for the same space.  A guest can either rent it as a one bedroom, or a two bedroom for an additional fee.  If they rent the one bedroom, I lock off the second bedroom.  If a couple were to rent it as a two bedroom, then they have access to the second bedroom, and the additional towels, because they paid for it.

If you rent your cottage as a two bedroom, and the guests use everything, then there really shouldn't be anything mentioned about it in their review, because they paid for full access and use of all amenities that were left for their use.