Hm... bigger units = lower ratings ? Why?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Hm... bigger units = lower ratings ? Why?

So, we have one big apartment divided in two smaller units:

- Studio apartment for 2 guest:  https://hr.airbnb.com/rooms/13525942

- and  2 bedroom apartment for up to 6 guests : https://hr.airbnb.com/rooms/13526118

Our floor plan look like this:

2cool.jpg

We also made a third listing where guests could book both apartments as one, 3 bedroom apartment for up to 8 guests.

The price was exactly the same as if they book both listings separately.

- Our studio apartment has good rating of 4,9

- Our 2 bedroom apartment has good rating of 4,8

- But our third listing (both apartments as one) gets lower ratings and now it is on 4,6 so we snoozed it.  All ratings for location, cleanless etc.. are between 4,8 and 4,9  but overall rating is low. I have no idea why...

Is it more difficult to satify larger groups? Are they more demanding? Is it feng-shui or what?  😄

If I delete my third listing, would its rating continue to affect the average rating of all my listings? If so then for how long?

11 Replies 11
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Branka-and-Silvia0

It's probably because of bigger units more guests and different opinions so when they write a review its a consensus of those opinions or an average.

Jill say this place was fantastic, Jack said I’ve stayed in better, Joe who has a touch of gout thinks they could do with a lift, Jane say the bed linen was of poor quality, Rambo (outdoor type loves camping) thinks it’s the best place he’s ever stayed in, and finally Cinderella say the host must work really hard to keep the place looking so good considering the amount of guest they must have.

Consensus review: four stars and room for improvement.

Targuin and Hermoine (newlyweds) thinks the place is out of this world and how clever of Targuin to choose it, the only part of the apartment that is anyway untidy is the bedroom which is not surprising considering they never left it.

Review: five stars and they’re definitely coming back.

@Cormac0yes, there is a logic in what you are sayin' ... but it seems 4 people in one apartment give us 5* but when 4 people book both apartments they give us 4 * 😄

Mah... crazy world 😛

Anyway... do you have any idea if I delist my third listing would it continue to affect my average rating of all other listings ?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

If in separate places then there is the ~chance~ to have different experiences (and thinking), and remember human behavior is to accomodate the mentality, IQ, opinion, and behavior of all members of the 'group' (group think). You would think they 'average'; since there is no 4.5, it makes 4 a necessity to accomodate all members of the group to stay in 'social balance'. Imagine the opposite: if forced to give a collective 5 following the more 'dominant' half, the 4-star half would feel not taken into consideration.

P.S. I see the same phenomenon in my listing, in this case the difference between accomodating 4 & 6 guests, #5-#6 will have to stay in a slightly 'lesser' place (no bathroom), thus the review tends to be skewed by them. 😉

@Fred13hm... maybe its because the part of the group in the third room (studio) feels separated... they have to walk accross 4 m long hallway to join others in a livingroom ... its a looong long way 😛

It's funny because I thought groups who book both units will be happier , they have the whole place for themselves, no neighbours, no need to lock 2 doors behind them... but I was wrong.

Fascinating isn't it? Your 'problem' is you are only looking at the 'big' picture. Shame on you. LOL

@Fred13eh... I have to change my lens from wide angle to some normal... macro 😄

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

"Is it more difficult to satisfy larger groups?"

Yes.

Absolutely. 100%. Parents/grandparents with under-12s are no problem at all - love them - but adult groups cannot be pleased. I picture them dreaming up demands and adding them to a shared spreadsheet. It has to be something like that.

As to how long your closed listing will affect your score, @Branka-and-Silvia0, I think forever, right? Ratings stay with the host. But closing it will prevent it from dragging you down further. It can only go up from here!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I'm inclinded to believe it's the seperation factor. Large groups like to have a shared space at least mine prefer that and a space that has enough seating for all to eat a meal at one table. 

@Letti0maybee,  but they are not really separated it is just a hallway inside the apartment between the living room and the third room/studio and we add another table and chairs in the dining area so they can eat together.

It's a mistery... 🙂

@Lawrene0,,,, adding demands to a shared spreadsheet,,, hehehe I can visualise them 😄 lol

You did inspire me to put my listing back to a maximum of 2, @Branka-and-Silvia0. I did it today. I thought, "That's it! The big groups are nothing but trouble, and why am I allowing them in? What a chump!" 

I plan to put my new peace of mind to good use. 🙂

@Lawrene0

I hope it will work for you :)))

I am not happy to delete my 2in1 listing.. we had a lot of bookings specially during summer and it was easier for us to have just 1 check in for both units. But I have to do it or it will dragg all my listings down.

I just wander what about all those hosts with big apartments/houses... they must have a hard time to become superhosts and to survive on Airbnb...