Home Automation for Airbnb hosts (Home Assist, custom solutions) #Domotics #HomeAutomation

Damir0
Level 10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Home Automation for Airbnb hosts (Home Assist, custom solutions) #Domotics #HomeAutomation

Hello, everyone!

Are you using technology to help you automate some parts of hosting on Airbnb? Can you share your experiences, best practices? What works and what doesn't?

I'm all ears! 😉

What is Home Automation?

Wherever you go, there you are.
80 Replies 80
Noah0
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

I got the august lock, and nest.  I offer the use of the august lock but nobody every wants to use it.  The nest is great to make sure guests don't abuse the thermastat.  Guests can be rediculous and put the ac down to 50 F and then leave it on when they leave.

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Noah0,

That is awesome. Great to hear there are more hosts who are experimenting with home automation. What is your personal experience with the August lock? Does it work like advertised? Is it easy to use? And extend? Why are guests not using it? Would you recommend buying one? Airbnb is offering some hosts access to the Host Assist program, are you familiar with it? Basically, here you can find localized partners for Smart Locks and more. What is your local Airbnb "partner"? You can find the Host Assist tab, in the Host menu, when logged in.

thumb_218_default_pageHeader.png

I have Toon (Quby Smart Thermostat), it supports OpenTherm, however, the Energy Supplier Eneco has chosen to create a walled-garden solution instead of opening up, so I want to switch in the coming months, and use devices I choose and like.

For example LIFX smart bulb instead of Philips Hue.

LIFX-bulb-on-white.jpg

What is your experience with Nest? How can you prevent guests misusing the heating system? Have you connected the two, meaning the August Lock and the Nest Thermostat to a hub, a central brain (like Fibaro or SmartThings, Insteon) or your home? Would you recommend purchasing the Nest Thermostat?

Nest is by the best home automation unit I got.  Guests tend to abuse the heating and cooling unti the most, you have many options with nest, setting min and max temp, remote control, or complete lock out. 

As far as the august lock goes The few people that have tried it had problems with downloading the app intitial connection but most people seem just dont want to be bothered with another app or their phone is out of battery haha the joys of technology. 

You guys are at Thetan level with automation, I'm impressed!

I use the nest thermostat in my units, and I love it.  I leave info about the unit in my house manual, and I tell guests that the unit is  set to be comfortable for them in the morning and again in the evenings, and if they will be home during the day to let me know.  I also explain that the unit is locked but that it's only a phone call away from being adjusted.  Most of my guests are not so techy, so they are impressed with it and it ticks along.  Every once in a while I'll get a guest who complains that it's locked and if they are a real bother, I'll unlock it for the stay and then re-lock it.   

I do like that I'm able to use it as a motion detector as well, and I can see what time the guests come in and leave, to make sure that I'm setting the schedule correctly.

I also use Schlage keypad locks, I love them!   It's so easy to change the codes and it's a comfort to know that if any feces hits the oscillator I can just lock out a troublesome guest (never happened in six years, don't imagine it will).

Damir0
Level 10

@Maria-Lurdes0 Cool! You're ahead of us!LockstateRemoteLock6i.png

I just got started with domotics. In the Netherlands, Airbnb partnered with LockState remote locks, so today my Lockstate 6i arrived, and I am so happy, now need to get started. Looks promising. 

I'm a big fan of Apple products, not a big secret, however, on the HomeKit rollout, it is disappointing. But, I've found a temporary solution to skip the need for a central hub or brain for my apartment, therefore, I found Muzzley.

Schermafbeelding 2016-01-04 om 18.34.46.pngIt's a universal iOS app (iPhone + iPad) where you can add most of the popular domotics brand's products WITHOUT the need to cash out for a Smart Home Hub.

So far, it's working for me. How about you? What is your home's hub?

IMG_0707.jpg

Here is a photo of my LockState 6i, so cool!

Take a look at Muzzley

How do you handle your plants? Do guests need to water them? Or do you have some smart solution? 😉

Yours,

Damir

Stuart4
Level 3
Hove, United Kingdom

Hey Damir,

Great to hear that you purchased a Remotelock 6i.  we, smartlock are the UK/European distributors for Lockstate smart lock products. Our locks integrate directly with airbnb and bring many benefits to the host. Did you know that the 6i also comes in a mortice version which means that if you have an existing mortice lock, you can leave it in place and the 6i interfaces with it. We have found it more suited to the European market. 

Anyway check out www.smartlock.co.uk and please spread the word that you can now buy Lockstate products in Europe.

thanks, Stuart

@Maria-Lurdes0 - Hi - glad to find this discussion. I'm looking at hubs and keyless entries - I really don't have a need for any other automation besides locks on the doors. I was wondering about Kwikset and Schlage. From what I've understood, Kwikset cannot be reset remotely - so I wouldn't be able to lock out a guest if nec. without being on premises.  With your Schlage locks, can you do that? Use your app no matter where you are, to change codes on the door locks?  And also remotely monitor code use on the lock?

how do i make my nest thermostat work like a motion detector?

It's not something you can set, it just does have some motion detection - you just can't see it until the next day - so if you go into your Nest dashboard you'll see the day, and it will show a little man icon for every time someone has entered the place after it's not had any motion.   So it's pretty rudimentary, it's more just to see what time someone has crossed the Nest thermostat.

Damir0
Level 10

@Maria-Lurdes0@Stuart4@Mary31@Lizzie@Rachel18

I just purchased a Nest thermostat (3rd gen), so need to install it coming days. From what I know, the motion detection feature is totally automatic and you can't change the settings or switch it off. It's part of the learning algorithm built in.

@Damir0, I'm very interested in the Typeform and I have tried Zapier for some IFTTT scenarios, but I've never conquered it.  Would you consider doing a google hangout to show me (and anyone else who's interested) a quick walk through?  I'd love to use the Typeform and I'll play with it a bit over the next few days.

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Maria-Lurdes0@Stuart4@Mary31@Lizzie@Rachel18

Thank you for the kudos, I think your proposal could be an excellent idea. Before rushing myself into a millionth project, I believe we should poll what topics (in the category Hosting Automation / Tips & Tricks) are most wanted and at what level. Could you also think about it, everyone, please? 

If there is demand for it, maybe we can extend it into 2 or three parts for example, from pure beginner to more seasoned tech savvy hosts.

So for starters:

1. Which parts of the hosting process would you like to automate? (further thoughts: why? what effect would it have on you, the guests and others?)
  2. What are your current tools / software you use / are familiar with?
  3. Are you willing to spend a few dollars / EURO's per month or rather go freemium (with fewer features)?

Touch or click here to get the mini course / tutorial for Zapier.

d5233d71762fba81dbbf1329a3a38c7a.gif

My nest is in a hall way by my guest bedrooms, so it's not super reliable when it comes to the home and away features. Someone actually has to pass the device for it to be detected. There are much better solutions for that. I recently installed a nest outdoor camera on my main entrance, which monitors the driveway, front door and the yard. It sends me alerts anytime it detects motion or sound. You can set it up to have specific zones so you have the ability to only get alerts only when say someone is actually at the door. 

I just had my first guest since I installed, so it was nice to know they were able to check in fine. This will also allow me the ability to see when they actually checked out. 

I've used the August lock system for about 6 months and I like it.  As a backup I recommend going to the August Lock website and buying the optional keypad for those who don't want to download the application.  The August lock is pretty secure and easy to use once the guest download the application.

Patrick