Home Automation for Airbnb hosts (Home Assist, custom solutions) #Domotics #HomeAutomation

Damir0
Level 10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Home Automation for Airbnb hosts (Home Assist, custom solutions) #Domotics #HomeAutomation

Hello, everyone!

Are you using technology to help you automate some parts of hosting on Airbnb? Can you share your experiences, best practices? What works and what doesn't?

I'm all ears! 😉

What is Home Automation?

Wherever you go, there you are.
80 Replies 80
ReRe0
Level 2
Chicago, IL

We have multiple units that we manage and each unit has different requirements in terms of Lock type. We wanted to invest in open home automation and did not want to get holded by one provider.

super units.png

We found one company VirtualKEY (www.virtualkey.co) that is hardware neutral and works with Samsung Smarthings, Nexia, Vera and any Zwave lock like Yale, Schlage, RemoteLocks. 

I like that there was a real person on the phone helping me setup everything. So far its has allow to expand into more properties.

http://www.virtualkey.co/

Madhura0
Level 3
United States

We've been using SmartThings for automating our property using RBoy Apps (www.rboyapps.com). Been very happy with their support and selection of apps. They even have deals from time to time with manufacturers which is a nice touch.

We've got a yale lock, monoprice temperature/motion sensor, a radio thermostat, outlets, water leak sensor, a water valve and some cameras integrated with SmartThings. rboy apps basically manages our property for us, it controls the humdity and temperature, turns everything off and arms the security when the renters leave, turns on the lights and disarms the security when they get back - the whole 9 yards!

We love that we can connect our thermostat with a motion sensor (which doubles as a security sensor when there is no one in the house) using their apps so the HVAC only kicks in when there is someone inside the house.

Am completely in love with their Rental Lock Automater app which completely automates creating codes for renters. It integrates with airbnb calendars and takes the hassle out of managing users, it even allows us to automatically send a customized text message to users with their lock code.

They've setup a page on the SmartThings forum for the rental lock automater app:

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-rental-lock-automater-automate-user-codes-with-airbnb-ho...

They have an offer running for their commercial apps (which includes Rental Lock Automater), we've been using them for years and glad we got the lifetime commercial option for $99.

Pros:

- Hands off management for all aspects of our property (energy, security, safety, users

- A wide selection of apps for us to use with new ones being added regularly

- Not locked into any manufacturer, we've able to pick and choose what hardware we want to use (and how we want to use)

- Awesome value for money

Cons:

- They only have eMail support but they're pretty responsive

Amanda390
Level 2
California, United States

We've been trying different smart home devices for a few years in our vacation rentals. We finally bought a kit from these guys (store.virtualconciergeservice.com) and it works really well. Everything was pre-programmed for a vacation rental. We had our handyman install the devices.

Madhura0
Level 3
United States

An update on my experience with RLA. Rboy Apps has officially released an updated version the Rental Lock Automater app (RLA)

I had been given a preview version some time ago and it's been awesome! I've set it to turn on the thermostats about an hour before the renters check in and turn then off at check out. Our last utility bill was down and I no longer have to manage my thermostats manually anymore :). That was the one thing that was missing earlier and RLA just does it all for me now. It schedules the renters, messages them their codes, activates/deactivates the codes, handles check in and check out (it even has a neat little option to turn on the porch lights if the renters check late in the evening) and also disarms the security when renters use their code to unlock the main door. Just make sure you have clear instructions in your text message and in the house for your renters.

Our next project is connecting our patio door to RLA using a keypad to lock/unlock it.

I'm just completely in love with RLA!

They don't send our mass mailers unfortunately so you need to follow their Facebook to get updates.

https://www.facebook.com/RBoySTApps

If you're looking into home automation, smart locks and automating AirBnB rentals, I don't think there's any solution which will give the kind of flexibility and capabilities that SmartThings provides. It's almost limitless the number of cheap/cost effective projects you can do to remotely manage your property and lower operating costs. RLA is the icing on the cake which handles the entire rental reservation and automation process but there's a lot more to you can do with SmartThings.

You can pretty much do most of it yourself in a day or two (depending on the level of automation, most of it's retro fitting things like thermostats, switches, valves, sensors and locks) or hire a handyman. Just a certain peace of mind that if something happens there's a safety backup in there to inform me and even take action.

Something simple like water sensors in the laundry room and boiler closet which triggers the main water valve to shut off, YES - it had it triggered due to a leaking boiler and it saved me a ton of money. The entire project took my spouse an hour to install it and cost us under a $100 with a the 2 z-wave water sensors and a z-wave valve controller which sits on top of the exiting water valve (no plumbing required).

Steve2933
Level 2
Kingston, NY

I currently uses uses Gate Smart Lock at one of my properties and I love it.  Guess tends to not communicate all the guess that will be staying at the property.

I am looking for a solution for my air con.  the abuse is devastating. 

Jingrui0
Level 2
Eindhoven, Netherlands

Hi @Damir0  I'm a PhD student specializing in the Airbnb experience at Eindhoven University of Technology. I found your Airbnb in Rotterdam to be unique and was impressed by your enthusiasm in the Airbnb community.

I'd like to visit your Airbnb, invite you to show me around and tell me the story about your home. These stories help me refine the potential of your room to provide an authentic experience for your guests.

If you are interested to have a brief share. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!

Jingrui (Ted)