Home Hosting Insurance for Australian Hosts

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Home Hosting Insurance for Australian Hosts

On a daily basis we are seeing posts from hosts seeking information about insuring their properties while hosting, so I felt it is about time to lay out the landscape where hosting insurance is at in this country, (Australia).

Here is Australia we are fortunate to have a number of good insurance options available and, I would urge every host to take note of these options and use one or the other. This being a possibly less litigious society than the US, companies are more inclined to insure the hosting risk here! Also the volume of hosting in this country has risen to the point where companies are now seeing hosting insurance as a valuable addition to their risk portfolio.

Firstly there has been a lot of talk, and possibly misplaced trust, in Airbnb's Host Protection Scheme (HPS)! This product is more loaded to protection from catastrophic damage, has extreme limitations on it, and in general should not be relied upon for protection a host is likely to require in their hosting experience. Even Airbnb state you should avail yourself of other cover options before trying to use this product. Typical of the sort of claims that Airbnb have declined to adequately address are....... a host's kitchen benchtop which was ruined when a guest put a saucepan from the stove directly onto the bench. The entire kitchen benchtop had to be replaced with a cost of many thousands of dollars.....at the hosts expence.

Another hosts outdoor furniture setting was ruined by a guests careless cigarette burn to one of the cushions. Once again, they were on their own. These are the events that you need insurance protection for and will find satisfactory compensation from the HPS virtually impossible.

To insurance options:

If you have a household general insurance policy there is every possibility the company will cancel your policy if they find out you are in a short term rental agreement with a hosting platform. I have had this advice direct from 4 major insurance companies, so, I would consider this stance to be the norm!

https://www.terrischeer.com.au

Terri Scheer are specalists in Landlord/Tennant insurance but do not get involved with short term rental agreements with a hosting platform or a shared property situation. Great if you are a landlord who has a rental property on the open rental market but will not entertain Airbnb.

https://sharecover.com

If you are listing a shared property (that is, on the same residential allotment) or a self contaned property and you are hosting a few guests per month there is a company called Sharecover! Above is a link to this company. This is the insurer I use, and is a part of the largest insurance group in Australia. Sharecover insures specifically for the Airbnb and the Stayz platforms. You only pay for cover for the nights that guests are on your property, and the cost of cover is from $3.50au per night. It does not take the place of general insurance....it's an addition to it.

You apply online in seconds and are issued a PDF of the policy document on the spot. You can literally insure as the guest walk to the door of your listing!

https://www.aami.com.au

AAMI have just recently (In February) introduce an insurance package that works with the Airbnb operation and is additional to their general insurance policy. This is also a good option because it keeps all general insurance under the one umberella! As this insurance cover is new, I have not been able to find any details of it as yet but will post as an update when I can secure!

http://www.ltmrisk.com.au/

There is also another company who provide similar cover to the hosting community for an annual modest premium which is more for hosts with a full booking calendar. I believe this company is called LTM Risk Partners and is based in Western Australia and appears to be most active in Melbourne and Sydney.

All these companies provide either $10m or $20m public liability insurance but be aware that there are some traps where liability insurance is concerned!

Liability insurance will only cover guests and hosts on the insured property, and does not cover guests from their own negligence. If you allow guests to use bicycles that you may provide for them to cycle the local area there is no automatic liability cover beyond the perimeter of the insured property! If they injure themselves diving from the top of the wardrobe cupboard onto the bed....they will, once again,  not be covered!

I suggest to all hosts to check out all of these companies individually and compare what each has to offer and make a decision based on what comes from 'the horses mouth', rather than depending on what I have stated here. I have selected a company and coverage that suits my needs but those will vary from host to host. 

But, forget about the Airbnb's host protection scheme.....it is nothing more than a marketing tool and in reality provides no coverage for protection the average host would ever be likely to need!....cheers......Rob

100 Replies 100

Yes David I also have tried AAMI a few times as I was always insured with them and was concerned when they told me that it would be redundant given I have Airbnb even if it's not when an Airbnb guest is staying. I rang them in December 2017 and they still do not work with Airbnb.

Hi David/Robin,

I just got the same answer when I called AAMI..."we don't insure Air BnB properties.

Regards,

Barry

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Barry157

I stopped giving advice on insurance 18 months ago because companies kept moving the goal posts. Some claimed to insure for short term rentals but when you actually tried to take them up on it they would back away. I was just making a fool of myself by trying to bring some sensible order into STR insurance in this country.

I won't make any more comments regarding insurance but if you do want to get a bit more advice on what may be available you might find some help on this link!

https://www.finder.com.au/holiday-home-insurance

Cheers.....Rob

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If you use Sharecover how do you cover the main risk when as you have said normal Household insurers will not cover you if you are short term renting?

David
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David126 Your regular insurer will not get involved in any liability/risk issues that short term renting is likely to add to their insured risk, and will therefore cancel your policy, because the risk factor has changed subsequent to that they accepted when they issued the policy.

I cannot speak for all companies, and particularly those that operate outside of my country but, once the risks associated with short term rentals have been accepted by another insurer they are, in general, prepared to continue with their existing policy cover.

I have sent my representative a question asking for clarification on this, with a request that I can post their specific answer on this site.

Cheers.....Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David126 Hi again David.....Right, here it is from the horses mouth. I hope this clears up any confusion....cheers.....Rob.

Hi Rob,

We hope you're well.

ShareCover is designed to work in conjunction with an existing home and contents policy. A home and contents policy will be the primary policy when there are no guests in the property. However, once there are guests in the property, the ShareCover policy is the primary policy covering the potential risks caused by the guests. The Home and contents policy will still cover natural perils and the risks associated with the property owners in the property.

If you need any further information, please let us know.

Kind regards,

The ShareCover Team

It has been some time since I have been in the Insurance Industry and I had limited dealings with the Australian market. However that is not the normal way things operate.

The confirmation required is from your primary insurer that they will cover your risk, as has been mentioned in many (all?) countries most Household Insurers will not if you are operating a short term rental business.

Now if you have declared this activity and your primary Insurer has agree then all is good. Assuming the policy otherwise excludes such activity the agreement should be by way of endorsement to the policy.

David
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David126  As you said David, it is some time since you have been in the insurance industry, the sands are moving, and I am not trying to sell you a policy!!....... I am just stating insurance facts as they now stand in this country. I personally use the company Sharecover because I insure by the night for the limited number of nights I have guests on my property. My regular household insurer is fully aware that I am using a short term rental platform with my property and have, in conjunction with my short term insurer set boundaries with regard to liability. On that basis they have not sought to cancel my general household policy and have stated that in a written agreement with me.

As I have said in other posts Australia possibly leads the world in the short term rental insurance market and the model that is being used here will possibly become adopted in the US over the next few years....the short term rental market is so large that insurers can no longer ignore it....it is a huge pot of money!

Now where the theory comes in on this David....it has not been tested yet. Taking premiums is one thing but, to my knowledge nobody has lodged a substantial claim as yet, and it will be interesting to see what happens when a major claim lands on one of our insurers desks, and how it will be handled.....cheers.....Rob

Kathryn15
Level 2
Castlemaine, Australia

@Robin4 

Hi Rob,

Thank you for that information. Can you please tell me who your insurer is? I have landlords insurance with Allianz but I just found out that they will not pay out for a claim if they know that I rent it out for short term rental. I use Sharecover which is fine for when people are actually there, but I also need insurance for when people aren't.

Thank you,

Kathryn

You have to use NRMA. I think that's the only one I've discovered that works with ShareCover and thus Airbnb.

I don't think NRMA  cover properties in vic

But their equivalent, RACV definitely covers holiday letting.

That is my dilemma as my insurer, APIA say my household contents cover for my apartment is voided once I accept short-term tenants. Am still searching....

me too let me know if you find one!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Tara174

Although I find RAA and Sharecover work well together, I have never had a claim and that is what sorts out the wheat from the chaff. In Cannonvale have you checked out this option.

https://www.rentcover.com.au/products/rentcovershortterm/

From what they are advertising EBM take over the role of both general and STR insurer.

I have had no personal dealings with them so I can't advise as to your suitability but I am told they have lifted their game from some poor initial customer reviews.

Cheers.....Rob