Home Hosting Insurance for Australian Hosts

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Home Hosting Insurance for Australian Hosts

On a daily basis we are seeing posts from hosts seeking information about insuring their properties while hosting, so I felt it is about time to lay out the landscape where hosting insurance is at in this country, (Australia).

Here is Australia we are fortunate to have a number of good insurance options available and, I would urge every host to take note of these options and use one or the other. This being a possibly less litigious society than the US, companies are more inclined to insure the hosting risk here! Also the volume of hosting in this country has risen to the point where companies are now seeing hosting insurance as a valuable addition to their risk portfolio.

Firstly there has been a lot of talk, and possibly misplaced trust, in Airbnb's Host Protection Scheme (HPS)! This product is more loaded to protection from catastrophic damage, has extreme limitations on it, and in general should not be relied upon for protection a host is likely to require in their hosting experience. Even Airbnb state you should avail yourself of other cover options before trying to use this product. Typical of the sort of claims that Airbnb have declined to adequately address are....... a host's kitchen benchtop which was ruined when a guest put a saucepan from the stove directly onto the bench. The entire kitchen benchtop had to be replaced with a cost of many thousands of dollars.....at the hosts expence.

Another hosts outdoor furniture setting was ruined by a guests careless cigarette burn to one of the cushions. Once again, they were on their own. These are the events that you need insurance protection for and will find satisfactory compensation from the HPS virtually impossible.

To insurance options:

If you have a household general insurance policy there is every possibility the company will cancel your policy if they find out you are in a short term rental agreement with a hosting platform. I have had this advice direct from 4 major insurance companies, so, I would consider this stance to be the norm!

https://www.terrischeer.com.au

Terri Scheer are specalists in Landlord/Tennant insurance but do not get involved with short term rental agreements with a hosting platform or a shared property situation. Great if you are a landlord who has a rental property on the open rental market but will not entertain Airbnb.

https://sharecover.com

If you are listing a shared property (that is, on the same residential allotment) or a self contaned property and you are hosting a few guests per month there is a company called Sharecover! Above is a link to this company. This is the insurer I use, and is a part of the largest insurance group in Australia. Sharecover insures specifically for the Airbnb and the Stayz platforms. You only pay for cover for the nights that guests are on your property, and the cost of cover is from $3.50au per night. It does not take the place of general insurance....it's an addition to it.

You apply online in seconds and are issued a PDF of the policy document on the spot. You can literally insure as the guest walk to the door of your listing!

https://www.aami.com.au

AAMI have just recently (In February) introduce an insurance package that works with the Airbnb operation and is additional to their general insurance policy. This is also a good option because it keeps all general insurance under the one umberella! As this insurance cover is new, I have not been able to find any details of it as yet but will post as an update when I can secure!

http://www.ltmrisk.com.au/

There is also another company who provide similar cover to the hosting community for an annual modest premium which is more for hosts with a full booking calendar. I believe this company is called LTM Risk Partners and is based in Western Australia and appears to be most active in Melbourne and Sydney.

All these companies provide either $10m or $20m public liability insurance but be aware that there are some traps where liability insurance is concerned!

Liability insurance will only cover guests and hosts on the insured property, and does not cover guests from their own negligence. If you allow guests to use bicycles that you may provide for them to cycle the local area there is no automatic liability cover beyond the perimeter of the insured property! If they injure themselves diving from the top of the wardrobe cupboard onto the bed....they will, once again,  not be covered!

I suggest to all hosts to check out all of these companies individually and compare what each has to offer and make a decision based on what comes from 'the horses mouth', rather than depending on what I have stated here. I have selected a company and coverage that suits my needs but those will vary from host to host. 

But, forget about the Airbnb's host protection scheme.....it is nothing more than a marketing tool and in reality provides no coverage for protection the average host would ever be likely to need!....cheers......Rob

100 Replies 100
Tara174
Level 2
Cannonvale, Australia

thanks Rob Will look into it and let you know! cheers Tara 🙂

Tara174
Level 2
Cannonvale, Australia

Hi Robin!

UPdate.......

NRMA have insured us for our general building cover and Share cover are covering us for Air BNB. phew finally!! both prices were reasonable (cheapest we have been quoted so far).  so i am now relaxed phew. I rang EBM but they didnt really want to know about the airbnb side. so thankyou so much for starting this feed! without it I would have still been tearing my hair out!!! 

Tara

Hi I also phoned AAMI yesterday and was told that they would not provide a Building or Contents Insurance Policy for our home if we had 'guests'! Sharecover's answer sounds feasible. However, problem is trying to find an insurance provider that will insurance during the 'off times' when there are no guests. Also does Sharecover still insure if hosts are away...

Tim493
Level 2
Morning Bay, Australia

We now have had insurance declined as we're hosting with Airbnb, I've just now been onto the sharecover quote page, and was declined as we've had insurance declined.

This roundabout is rediculous!

Can you give me a name of someone to speak to at AAMI who understands and is up to date with what the company offers who can assist in getting insurance for our property please?

From my research in NSW you have to get home insurance through NRMA for your house and when you have guests you have to purchase ShareCover. I don't think any other company will do it other than NRMA. That was the advice I was given in Nov 17 when I rang to ask which company will insure with ShareCover and therefore Airbnb.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

An important note - IAG's product, Sharecover, provides coverage only if the usage of the property is a permitted usage under local regulations.

IAG are happy to sell hosts the policy and take the premiums but, come claim time, most hosts in Sydney who list whole premises in areas zoned for residential occupancy will find that their Sharecover policy does not cover their activities.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Louise0 Once again thanks for that, I will take that up tomorrow and get a definitive statement on that...as I said taking premiums is one thing, honouring claims is another!

Have you any experience with regard to Host Rite on this aspect???  cheers....Rob

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

No experience with Host Rite.  No need to get a 'definitive statement' from IAG re Sharecover.  It's clearly spelt out in the Sharecover PDS.  

This specific issue was brought up during IAG's testimony at the 2nd public hearing of the parliamentary inquiry into adequacy of the regulation of short-term holiday letting in NSW.  The transcript can be accessed from the attached link.

As I said, in-home hosts are ok in most cases, even in areas zoned residential and regulations are prescribed at the local council level rather than state level, so if the local council has given you the green light, you have no reason to be concerned.

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/committees/DBAssets/InquiryEventTranscript/Transcript/8782/Sydney%...

IAG underwrite Homeowners Insurance, seems very odd that they do not offer a more complete package.

From an underwriting perspective I can see that it is an attractive market, cover versus premium seem very favourable.

David
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Louise0 As usual you are correct, and this statement today backs up what you have said....

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for your ongoing support and advocacy of ShareCover.

Yes, we get that question frequently. The best response we can offer is, the only time ShareCover wouldn't provide cover is when a local council, or government has specifically not permitted Airbnb and/or Stayz in the area. At the moment, this is an area where the host should contact their local council/government body for further information on their regulations within their local area.

If the host is informed that the local council/government body does not allow Airbnb/Stayz in their area, they could request a copy of the relevant section of the bylaws which states this in writing. In our experience, a lot of councils haven't formed a concrete view on this topic to date.

We hope this helps.

Kind regards,

The ShareCover Team

Sounds like this is not a promoted aspect of short term rental insurance and obviously there will be casualties as a result of this! With this in mind I contacted my council today and was told, provided I adhere to the guidelines they laid down to me a year ago with regard to description, car parking, noise intrusion they have no objection to me using a short term rental platform on my property, and I have asked for that in writing! It will be interesting to see if I get it.

Thanks for bringing that up Louise....that is a big issue, and maybe one that these insurers should be required by law to flag before accepting a premium!!!  cheers.....Rob

I use EBM short stay rental insurance.  It was recommended to me.  I checked that the council allow short term rentals - and for one listing, I had to do a development application but all good.

Correct.  As clearly stated in their PDS. However I believe that the regulations of STHL have changed according to a recent article in the Sydney Morning Herald. 

I am unable to call ShareCover to ask of these changes and if they will reflect in their PDS as I am unable to find a contact number and think they are only online. 

Kathryn15
Level 2
Castlemaine, Australia

@Robin4

I just spoke to GIO and they have apparently changed their guidelines in the last 3 weeks to include air bnb and short stay rentals on their landlords insurance. Whoo!

Thank you for posting that Kathryn - I didn't realised that and my home insurance is with GIO! Called to check and was told they will provide the standard home insurance (not consider you running a business) if no more than 2 rooms are rented out as B & B or to boarders.

Thank you for this information.

I changed from AAMI to GIO today as AAMI would not cover us for renting part of our home through AirBnB or any other similar short-stay platform.

The GIO salesman initially declined to quote, stating they do not cover AirBnB, but then after I citedthe above forum comments he checked with the "technical department" and confirmed they will cover us as part of normal home insurance for up to two bedrooms. This includes $20M public liability cover. Our apartment has two bedrooms plus kitchen/dining + lounge + bathroom so 5 rooms in total.

Thanks again. Regards.