Home Insurance for AirBnb hosts in UK

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

Home Insurance for AirBnb hosts in UK

There has been a lot of discussions recently about finding the right insurance which will also cover AirBnB

On 1st June 2017  an article was published advising Admiral (UK) launches Airbnb host cover.

I have no connection with the company, only came across it to find more information and thought it may help others

Chris

https://boughtbymany.com/news/article/airbnb-host-insurance-uk/#admiral-host

11 Replies 11
Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

Forgot to mention that the artical goes in depth covering Airbnb Host Guarantee and what it does and does not cover

Helen295
Level 1
Kilcreggan, United Kingdom

Considering Hosting and currently going through the insurance minefield after insurer confirmed they could notextend cover if i was to offer Air BnB. Aside from Admiral and Home Protect , I have found (online) and got a quote from Cover Builder who appear to be underwritten by Plum Underwriting. This quote considerably cheaper than other 2 but worrying that with insurance it may be a case of "you get what you pay for" Has anyone experience of Cover Builder?

Hi All, 

Do any experienced hosts out there know of any home insurers that cover all of the below? 

* A home being rented on occasional basis via airbnb.  Occupied by us most of the time...

* Accidental damage at any time by guests or otherwise

* Malicious damage at any time by guests or otherwise

* Theft by guests or otherwise

* Liability at any time by guests or otherwise

* Or accept ad-hoc insurers like Inlet to cover the gaps/exclusions in thier policy?

I've been looking for a while and am starting to run out ideas.  

Many thanks.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Steven248

I would call the insurance company's listed above and ask them.

@Steven248Did you ever figure it out? I am currently interested in doing the Inlet Host Insurance add on (as it is the only insurance that I have found that specifically caters to my needs/situation) but want to know which home insurers would accept this. Any info that you may have found would definitely be appreciated.

Philippa46
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Steven248 My understanding is that the things you’ve listed are covered by the AirBnB insurance.

What I would be interested to know is if there are insurers in the UK that will cover a property I mainly live in, sometimes with AirBnB guests in the spare room and occasionally with guests in the whole flat without invalidating the insurance policy more broadly. Ie I believe if a guest damages something intentionally or accidentally I can claim via AirBnB, but would like to find an insurer who would cover me for a burglary/fire/flood etc while I have AirBnB guests in the house, but for which they are in no way implicated, without their presence impacting the cover available.

i will check out Admiral as advised above but if anyone has other suggestions they’d be most appreciated!

Jill292
Level 2
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Now4cover. Have been with these 2 years. Haven't made a claim, but they gear specifically for the stuff Airbnb doesn't cover. They were much cheaper than a couple of bespoke policies I looked into and the renewal premium has only increased by a pound or two(annual) each time, though as I say I haven't made a claim. I need to renew again now hence looking at this thread, but will most likely go with them again. There isn't the limit on number of stays which Admiral and others have

Alicia365
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Did you have any luck with this? I am looking to do the same - I'll be away from my home for a month at a time this year and want to rent the whole home through Airbnb.  My existing home insurance policy is with Admiral and they told me they would not cover me for this even if I got additional insurance through another provider.  Appreciate any experiences you could share 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

They are right you can't use standard home insurance to cover your STR business.

I think there are about 8 providers I have seen that offer STR home insurance in the UK @Alicia365 

Last time I was looking I just searched via Google and they all came up, so you could try this.

Admiral do provide STR home insurance so suprised they didn't suggest this as an alternative.

Good luck.

Katharine10
Level 2
Churchill, United Kingdom

Having read the conversation above and checked the 'moneysavingexpert.com' website (my default for any financial advice) I have just renewed my building and contents insurance with 'Home Protect' who were brilliant.  I was able to be totally honest and for a 3 double bedroom house + 1 bed annex (both Airbnb'd), they quoted me £280.80 pa.  Cheaper than LV who will no longer insure me due to Airbnb use.  Hope this helps.

Adrian311
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi, Can anybody please help/advise about household insurance for airb&b. I rent out my entire house (my only residence) a couple of times a moth exclusively through airb&b. My current household insurer (admiral) said they can no longer insure me if I rent out the entire house (me moving out) on a occasional  basis. I just don't know where to look now?? Does anyone know any insurance companies that will cover me for that set of circumstances? Many thanks.