Home Owners Association Rewriting Bylaws to Restrict Short Term Rentals

Nathan-and-Angela0
Level 1
Washington, DC

Home Owners Association Rewriting Bylaws to Restrict Short Term Rentals

Hi! Our Home Owners Association recently change our bylaws requiring "any renters to be approved by The Board in writing." This seems to me to be a violation of our rights as a home owner. Anyone have any suggestions on fighting this?

6 Replies 6
Deb125
Level 10
Lahaina, HI

Home Owners Association rule,  when you bought your place, you are subject to the rules of the Home Association, nothing else.. You will be violating the rules, and could be subject to fines, you need to contact your Home Association Board members 

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

This is fairly standard around here. HOA's are limiting any and all short term rentals. Did you go to the meetings? Are you working to be on the board? That is the best way to have some influence on the direction and decisions made at the HOA board level.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

You do not have true property rights when you are subject to HOA. Have to decide how much you want to spend on lawyers to argue with them. The bad news about suing your HOA is that you get to pay for your attorney & the HOA attorney

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Typically a change in bylaw requires a super- majority (which is why it is hard to stop Airbnb in condos once several owners start doing it). 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

This is the reason I would never buy a property of any kind associated with HOA. They can set or change rules when ever it pleases them and you are just stuck with it. I know someone that got fined for the color of the trim they used on their house. It was not an approved color it seems. Ridiculous!

Is it even legal for them to ask for personal information of your guests?  My HOA wants names, phone and email but it's against privacy data laws right?