Home sharing is not allowed in the city of Boca Raton, Florida

Answered!
Gray0
Level 6
Boca Raton, FL

Home sharing is not allowed in the city of Boca Raton, Florida

Today I made an effort to comply with Palm Beach County tax and laws for home sharing rentals. 

Part of that requires an application for a Business Tax Receipt.  I already have and have paid the Palm Beach County bed tax with my account set up two years ago. 

Now, I discovered an addition, the Business Tax Receipt requires an application to my City of Boca Raton and zoning approval.  That office told me home sharing and AirBnB is not allowed in the city.  I asked for a print out or email of the oridinace that states it is not allowed.  The clerk looked for it, could not find it, went to the back office for help.  No one in the building and permit and business license office could find the "home sharing not allowed ordinance".  According to recent news stories, the County of Palm Beach  allows home sharing/AirBnB in all cities - except Boca Raton,  which was exempt from the new ruling because Boca Raton restriction was grandfathered in 11 years ago.  Show me the ordinance!  It is buried in the Boca Raton Muni Code online, and even the city couldn't find it!

I will advise this forum if they do find it. And even if they do allow it, the zoning, health, building inspections could turn my home sharing rental into an exercise in futility.

1 Best Answer
Deen86
Level 2
Deerfield Beach, FL

@Sherrie55 @Quang48 @Julie849 @Jorge1612 @Gray0 @Alicia398 @Staci19 @Flavio129 @Joana315 @Helene265 @Richard1284 @Maureen410 @Claire1003 @Julie849 @Emanuele244 

Dear Boca Hosts,

Enough is enough, In 2021 we called the City of Boca if we can run a Airbnb and code compliance said that the Florida Preemption Law supersedes the Boca Raton "law" (because there is none) never the less because of some well connected neighbors   we have since been shut down by Boca Raton again for their use and Motel Law on one property and fighting on another one that we had a hearing last month.

Boca Raton does NOT have a short term rental ban and we are Not Motels therefore protected by the State of Florida Preemption Law. A Motel definition by the State of Florida is of 6 units and a central office. It has become a very dirty fight with Boca having hearings without notice to shutting us down illegally knowing that they are doing is against the law. 

From this very forum we learned about the abuse that Boca has done to the sober homes and have since hired James K. Green the same attorney who won the case against boca for the Sober homes and we are now appealing our cases  in circuit court and possibly seeking Declaratory and Monetary Damages against the City for this Abuse. We cant do this fight without you and if we don't win the city and their illegal actions  they will eventually shut you down as well. 

If you were shut down by Boca illegally with their "motel"
 ban and would like to join a possible class action lawsuit for damages and losses or if you would like to join the fight for our State constitutional freedom and stop big government from abusing its citizens email  **[email address hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelinesand we can tell you how to get involved 

View Best Answer in original post

51 Replies 51

I received a similar letter as Helene. They give you 14 days from receipt of the notice to cease all rental activity before any fines or hearings are pursued. 

Ang-And-Zac0
Level 2
Boca Raton, FL

Brittany229
Level 1
Boca Raton, FL

Following

Tom2385
Level 1
Delray Beach, FL

following

Aleta-Shelley0
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Following

Emanuele244
Level 1
Boca Raton, FL

Any updates on this? Following.

Julie849
Level 2
Boca Raton, FL

Gary,

can you call me at **[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines] as the Airbnb site will not allow me to do short term rental with a house in Boca Raton and no one at Airbnb seems to be able to tell me why I cannot change my calendar on Airbnb site.  Do you think Boca City has contacted Airbnb and this is why?  No one at Airbnb seems to be able to give my an answer.  Please call me. Julie

Gray0
Level 6
Boca Raton, FL

Since the city of Boca Raton outlawed AirBnb, I took my home share off the site a year ago. Boca may be the only city in Palm Beach county that had this statute grandfathered in and was allowed to block Airbnb, even though we paid the state sales tax and tourist development tax. Since I am no longer hosting I can't speak to the calendar question, but I just did a search for rentals on the Airbnb site and there are listings in Boca. Seems some hosts are willing to risk the consequences of renting. Good for them! The City of Boca Raton has gone all in for High Rise over development and added new tax assessments to the single family home owners to pay for the new infrastructure, roads, fire equipment.

Quang48
Level 2
Vienna, VA

Following! It has been a year since this conversation last active. 

I own a house in East Boca and would like to convert it to a short term rental place. 

A couple of questions:

1/ Is there any update of the Boca Ordinances?

2/ Do you know of a short term rental management company in Boca that I can trust? 

Thanks,

Contact **[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Sherrie55
Level 1
Boca Raton, FL

Following for any updates

Deen86
Level 2
Deerfield Beach, FL

@Sherrie55 @Quang48 @Julie849 @Jorge1612 @Gray0 @Alicia398 @Staci19 @Flavio129 @Joana315 @Helene265 @Richard1284 @Maureen410 @Claire1003 @Julie849 @Emanuele244 

Dear Boca Hosts,

Enough is enough, In 2021 we called the City of Boca if we can run a Airbnb and code compliance said that the Florida Preemption Law supersedes the Boca Raton "law" (because there is none) never the less because of some well connected neighbors   we have since been shut down by Boca Raton again for their use and Motel Law on one property and fighting on another one that we had a hearing last month.

Boca Raton does NOT have a short term rental ban and we are Not Motels therefore protected by the State of Florida Preemption Law. A Motel definition by the State of Florida is of 6 units and a central office. It has become a very dirty fight with Boca having hearings without notice to shutting us down illegally knowing that they are doing is against the law. 

From this very forum we learned about the abuse that Boca has done to the sober homes and have since hired James K. Green the same attorney who won the case against boca for the Sober homes and we are now appealing our cases  in circuit court and possibly seeking Declaratory and Monetary Damages against the City for this Abuse. We cant do this fight without you and if we don't win the city and their illegal actions  they will eventually shut you down as well. 

If you were shut down by Boca illegally with their "motel"
 ban and would like to join a possible class action lawsuit for damages and losses or if you would like to join the fight for our State constitutional freedom and stop big government from abusing its citizens email  **[email address hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelinesand we can tell you how to get involved 

Deen86
Level 2
Deerfield Beach, FL

I see the board deleted our email its protect our rights **personal details removed**

Can you please send me a DM about this matter? I am not sure how to reach out to you directly

Any updates on this issue? 🙏