Homeowners insurance dropping me because I use AIRBNB- help!

Jennifer2671
Level 1
Maine, United States

Homeowners insurance dropping me because I use AIRBNB- help!

Hello, could anyone please guide me to an airbnb friendly insurance company? My current insurance provider is going to drop me due to using airbnb. I could potentially get an appeal from the underwriter but then the insurance company requires you to use a third party property manager to control your bookings and vet guests and I wish to do this all myself 😞 Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

7 Replies 7
Heather1086
Level 9
Boring, OR

We have used Proper Insurance since we started with STR.  Haven't had any issues with them and they are built to insure this type of property.  It is more expensive than regular homeowners insurance because of the nature of how the property is being used.

Thank you, Heather! I just reached out to Proper today and they sounded great! Almost too good to be true, so I think we will end up going with them. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Have you needed to have payouts?  I'm looking into them and just see some of the horror stories and how picky are they?

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Proper or Foremost

Thank you, Lisa! I just reached out to Proper today and they sounded great! Almost too good to be true, so I think we will end up going with them. Thank you for sharing your experience!

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

I use Proper as well. Airbnb doesn’t cover claims not covered by your primary insurance, and most homeowners policy don’t cover short term rental. 

Carolyn662
Level 2
Batavia, NY

I can help with Foremost policies and other options for Short Term rentals in New York State--Carolyn Houseknecht Insurance agent Batavia NY