Horrible guest. Bad review?

Nuno60
Level 3
Dublin, Ireland

Horrible guest. Bad review?

i have been hosting on airbnb for quiet sometime and have nearly 200 reviews overall i have great reviews but there as been a few exceptions that someone rated me 1* i really dont wanna sound racist or anything but more or less my bad reviews plus 1* rating were from french guests ... do other airbnb host have the same experience ? i really try my best but they are impossible to please i have instant booking so i dont screen my guests bt everytime i get a booking from french people i double my efforts to please them but its overwellming impossible any tips?

37 Replies 37
Irene241
Level 1
Charlotte, NC

Hi,
I am afraid I agree with Nuno.
I opened my business in May 2017 and since then I have only received 5 starts review From my customer from all over the world and this french girl made a reservation in my house for 3 months, 2 months in advance and since then I received a text from her with infinity questions. Since the first day she arrived at the airport was in real demand, tone and attitude. I took her everywhere, I picked her up from free to bring her home , I invited her my meals as I do with the rest of the people but nothing was enough.

Hello Irene! I'm also an NC host. I have found that asking a few questions of the guest before allowing the booking makes it possible for me to winnow out the extra-needy ones. I know exactly the type you are talking about: I had a guest from LA two years ago who texted/called me constantly with requests: a stronger blender, more towels, different soap, where to buy a specific type of lettuce (did I know FOR SURE that they would have it?) more towels, etc. In retrospect, she started asking loads of questions BEFORE I even took the booking. Now I chat a bit and if they seem to require more than I want to give I make sure to not book them ("I'm sorry, I don't think this listing will be the best for you. You might want to try X or Y.") I actually refer them to other airbnbs in the area and will say they are better than mine! 😉 

THIS is exactly why I don't do instant books! 

Cynthia

Amanda327
Level 1
Dublin, IE

Hi Nuno

I have just had the exact same thing, I have had my listing taken off 3 times although 86% of my reivews are 3 and 4 star. I would seem that air b and b seem to have lost the plot and are striving for hotel standards. We have like yourself gone above and beyone the call of duty and it would seem that if a review is below 90 per cent (which is still very high for budget accommodation) you will be removed for 5 days. I am like yourself and have a couple of hundered reviews too and most of them are good so I am so disappointed with air b and b and am thinking of taking my business else where.   I also contacted them a couple of weeks ago after the listing was taken down the first time and I received a call from America at 11.00pm at night and she kept me on the phone until 12.00 but didnt offer my any advice whatsoever. The time difference was not even taken into consideration.  Is anyone with me on this?  My listings are all spotless clean, comfortable and warm, I dont claim to be 5 star so a tiny crack in paint work should not suffice for a bad reivew, my listings are definitely not a kip and my adult children who all live out of home have said the listings are perfect, as they have seen some dreadful places in their time. I am so disappointed.  WHO IS WITH ME ON THIS??

Coralie29
Level 1
Nice, France

I'm so sorry for you, I am french and I know how awful could be some French people with bad education, I often a shame about their behavior when I travel and cross them. I can assure you it's a certain kind of people not all Frenchy are the same 🙂

take care

Coralie

Pauline152
Level 1
Bethesda, MD

"Racist".  Wrong word.  French is a nationality. Not a race.  The correct word you should use is "discriminatory based on national origin.

Steve251
Level 1
Houlton, WI

Stay humble & realize that everyone has a personal demons. I would just realize everyone is a bit mentally ill & how well can each of us function in society is the real test. Unfortunately many will never realize how fortunate the are to have the freedom to travel & meet great people such as you. Keep your head up & try not to take it personal. Contact Airbnb to see if they can help with a clarification or dispute of fact.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your participation in this discussion it has raised quite a range of thoughts and I think it shows from all the comments that all our guests are individual and that we can't generalise to a whole groups of people. Here in the Community Center, we have community members from all over the world and so in order to respect everyone's feelings we do talk in more general terms. With this in mind, I feel it best to close this discussion now to new replies.

To add, you may have seen me share this elsewhere in the CC, but I wanted highlight this again below regarding Airbnb's mission. 

"Airbnb’s mission is to help create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. We believe that by sharing our homes, meeting people from across the world, and experiencing different cultures, we can foster the understanding that leads to that community of belonging.  Last year we published our Standards and Expectations, which are an expression of our community’s shared values, and were created based on what hosts and guests have told us they view as acceptable conduct and behavior when using Airbnb. A foundational value in these Standards that relates to your particular question is the principle of Fairness; specifically the section on Discriminatory Behavior or Speech. This is further explained in our nondiscrimination policy which all community members agree to as part of their use of Airbnb. If we become aware that a member of our community has explicitly violated this standard, adverse action may be taken on their account, including potential removal from the Airbnb community.

We remain committed to making Airbnb one of the most open, trusted, diverse, transparent and accepting communities in the world. As part of this, we encourage you to explore ways to interact with people from all backgrounds and to find the common threads that bring us together. For more information, read our recent blog post. "

Thank you for your time.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi nuno; im very new as host, not even 1 month. But last week i face the same prob. Initially i did frustrated but i try to think above the line... after get advise from senior host here, 

1. i pm my guest and ask her what should i do better to improve bad rating. To cut it short, she admit that she gave wrong rating. The good thing is, she gave me good review. Rating n review not jive.

2. I lodge feedback to airbnb careline n they are very helpful. Based on my info n feedback wt print screen between me n guest, perhaps airbnb validated wt the guest, eventually the false rating was removed.

Im very appreciate support given by airbnb careline.

Just a short n simple story based on less than a mth as a host. Perhaps u can consider... btw, i can feel u... cheers...