Horrible guest. Bad review.

Horrible guest. Bad review.

I recently had the misfortune of hosting an absolutely horrible guest for more than 3 weeks in my place. After he checked out I wrote a long email to AirBnB explaining the terrible experience I had just endured to hopefully get this guys membership cancelled. He yelled at me on numerous occasions from the first day! He complained about eveything and acted like he was payiing and staying in a 5 star hotel! This type of person was never going to get to know the real me. I wasn't going to open myself up to such a horrible person. So many more stories that I just don't want to re-live.

He told me has used AirBnB before but had no reviews. I was under the impression that both the host and guest had to leave a review for them to go public, my mistake.

I have asked AirBnB to delete this review (which I know is not in their policy) because of this man's nature. How can I be a good host to someone that keeps yelling at me? I have excellent reviews from all of my other guests and I've actually become friends with some of them.

My question is: Do I write a reply to his review defending myself? I feel like I could get into a long list of replies between us. Or should I just wait to see if AirBnB will help me out and delete this review? Any ideas? Has anyone else had something like this happen?

29 Replies 29
Padraig0
Level 2
Kerry, Ireland

Hi  @Yul0

Personally, if the feedback is only a little negative, I would not respond. It makes the review stick out if it is the only one you reply to.

In your case, I feel a response is necessary. Just be polite and keep it short. Don't get too defensive. It is impossible to know exactly what to say. There is no absolute right answer.

If there is anything factually incorrect in the review you can bring it to the attention of Airbnb but they may require proof. 

As the saying goes it is impossible to please everyone and if the guest was looking for a cookie cutter, hotel experience, Airbnb is probably not for them. Nothing to do with you 🙂

I'm curious to see what Airbnb's response will be. In your case, if they don't delete it, I would definitely write a feedback to the guest's review.

Hi @Ana7

That's pretty much what I will do. Just gotta see how BnB want to handle this. I'll keep everyone posted as this plays out.

Hi @Padraig0

Thanks for your advice. I will let this play out for a couple of days to see what BnB decide to do. He even threatened me with violence when he left!

What was the end result with Airbnb? Did they delete his negative review? I am dealing with a guest who is difficult and threathened violence. I am unsure how to proceed, but want him out of my home. He also threatened a bad review.

I had sent them an email within hours of him checking out explaining what I had just been through so they could block him from leaving a review. After many emails back and forth they did not delete it and said all I could do was leave a public reply. I was under the impression that you had to leave a review to get a review so I didn't leave one for him.

I think you should get in touch with Airbnb and explain your situation to them to see what they recommend. I'm pretty sure you can kick them out. You may have to refund some money. Try to get some evidence like a video of them behaving badly  or photos of something they've done for example a mess in the kitchen etc. 

I wish I had done that myself. I was worried about kicking him out and then returning as he was quite a vengeful person. After all, he knew where I lived. 

Best to get Airbnb involved asap. I hope this works out for you with a positive resolution.

@Mary0

Was your guest silly enough to put the threat in writing?

Honestly-kick him the hell out. Let AirBnB deal with relocating him. If I got someone like this I would tell him to leave and guide him out the door with my phone ready to call the police.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What an awful experience - have to say it's why we limit the time a guest can stay as even with a 'good' guest staying for a month they are effectively a lodger. Totally different to someone in town for a few days on hols, at an event. Etc

I do wonder why when his behaviour was so bad from the beginning that you allowed him to stay more than a few days? It's your home and you don't have to put up with that sort of abuse and behaviour.

I would certainly reply to his review - think of other hosts - would you have accepted his booking if you saw a comment from another host just saying: This guest was difficult and disrespectful. .....
C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

If you do respond to his review--and you should--that is the end of the back and forth. He can answer your review of him, and you can answer his review of you. Understand where those answers end up.
Josh9
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

If he was yelling at you from the first day, it's unfortunate that you did not try to get him re-homed at that time. That must have been a pretty sh*tty three weeks. I'm not actually sure what Airbnb's policy is on bad guests; I know that if the guest is dissatisfied with the place, the host, or pretty much anything, upon arrival or within 24 hours, they can ask to cancel and go somewhere else with no penalty.

With a review, the other party can respond, and that's it. It does not turn into a thread of response-counter response. So you don't need to worry about that. If you do respond I would keep it short and sweet. Long-winded explanations, while tempting (so you can explain yourself) tend to look defensive. I would say something brief (1-2 sentences) that allows prospective future guests to read a lot between the lines. And "say it with a smile." 🙂

Helen266
Level 1
Chicago, IL

I just had a couple stay with me who had a yelling match (probably after drinking) at 3:30 in the morning, knocked things over in the kitchen, and threw a cell phone across the room which hit our bedroom door and woke us up! I thought someone was breaking into our room - and I though the guy hit his girlfriend. They were horrible! Amsyar is the guy's first name. DO NOT accept him as a guest!! He was able to open a locked door with a credit card and it scared me. Then they left a nasty not about how unhappy they were with the place - after they had told me the night before how pleasant everything was! I don't want to leave a review because I'm afraid they will respond to a bad review. I called AirBnB to vehemently complain about them, but some young girl answered and made platitudes that were not helpful at ALL. How can hosts protect themselves in their own home with guests like this?? If I could afford it, I wouldn't host people any more! Other guests have been just great though!

I'd reccomend writing what really happened as a response to a bad review.

I've seen other hosts do it. What you put in a  review for them, put something similar in your response to their review.

Stephanie354
Level 2
Temecula, CA

I am staying at my first airbnb based on all of the excellent reviews and I got to say it is awful in my opinion. From the minute of arrival, the gate has a rusted nail I almost cut myself on while trying to open it. The room was very warm and no water was provided, no wifi instructions, no welcome note. I told the woman it was my 1st airbnb experience and even knowing that she made no effort to even call me when I asked her to call because the gate was stuck. 2 hours later and 2 messages to her and she finally called. Maybe you should listen to what this guy has to say and understand his point of view. I want to give an honest review of this womans home but am afraid she will then be critical of me.