Horrible support from AirBNB

Norma160
Level 2
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

Horrible support from AirBNB

I own two vacation rentals and have received over 200 4 and 5 star reviews over various websites. I've also been in the real estate business for over 30 years. While accidents have happened, I've only placed claims on two tenants out of hundreds that I've hosted.  Having said that I have just removed my properties from AirBNB as they did not support me when two separate guests damaged my property.I know of three other homeowners in my area that have also removed their properties for the same reason.While not all homeowners are alike, some of us take our job very seriously and work hard to offer our guests a fabulous experience. In the last circumstance, I had a guest who had a previous bad review (my bad for not checking that before I allowed the booking).  They had also damaged someone else's property.

It was also VERY clear that AirBNB didn't take the time to read the emails traded between me and the guest.  The guest even stated that they couldn't afford to pay for the damages.  Yet AirBNB sent their deposit back. The vast majority of my bookings come from VRBO and HomeAway. I'll be sticking with them.

12 Replies 12
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Norma160Really unfortunate that you had such bad experiences. 

Just wanted to clear something up though... there is no deposit through Airbnb to send back to the guest. There is an amount of money that the guest could be charged, if you've set that up on your listing, but it's not actually taken from the guest unless there is a claim. Airbnb is saying that this will change, but so far it hasn't. There is no real security deposit and no host control over it on Airbnb.

Norma160
Level 2
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

Well..  Looks like my bad again...  I state that I require a $300 deposit and they don't collect it? Just one more confirmation that I've made the right decision. 

@Norma160Correct... they don't take it unless there is a claim. I have a guest from Home Away staying at my cottage this week, and I feel much safer knowing that I actually have their deposit and can keep it if anything happens. I'm not sure that Airbnb is the best choice for whole home, offsite hosts when it comes to damage. I don't worry as much with my home hosting listing (an apartment in my house) because I can keep an eye on things.

Another reason Airbnb doesn't work for me for my cottage bookings is the cancellation policies. I make all the money on my cottage in July and August, and it pays all my costs for the year. The Airbnb cancellation policies aren't stringent enough and if someone cancels and I can't get a rebooking, I'm out the money.

My main issue with Airbnb is that they don't seem to believe that hosts have sound judgement: we can't choose when to apply the security deposit, and can't decide when to offer a refund without having our hands held.  

@Alexandra316 Yes, this is why my rates are lower and I book first on HA. I know I don’t need that extra “rainy day fund” kickback for damage that a guest won’t cover, I have a good cancellation policy, and I don’t risk a crazy revenge review tanking my business. 

I can deal with ABB policies but it has a cost. 

@Kelly149I've tried HA for my primary listing, and it just doesn't seem to work super well. It's a more Airbnb type listing because it's a part of my home, I think. I feel like I've had largely good experiences - and good luck - on Airbnb so far, but I also can't help feeling it's just a matter of time before something happens to upset the applecart. I already had a very expensive repair this year due to careless guests, and I'm also afraid of the sudden de-list. Not sure what to do... maybe just continue to ride it out for now. 

@Alexandra316  Yeah, I don’t want to ever be a single-platform host, eggs & baskets and all that, but it would be nice if someone who actually owned a home started creating some sensible policies on abb

Norma160
Level 2
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

But the problem is they still don't take it even when there is a claim..  I've read through many of the posts on this and it seems my issue is not an uncommon one.

@Norma160  Yes, exactly... as I said, they don't trust us to make our own decisions on security deposits, and that's why I don't think it's the best fit for whole home, offsite hosts. Unless the guest agrees to pay, we have to jump through a million hoops to get any money. 

Norma160
Level 2
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

Just to clarify a little further ... this wasn't about chipped plates, a broken wine glass or wash clothes that are permanently stained.  I do consider that a cost of doing business..

These Idiots took 5 hot pans and put them directly on my dining room table.  The table was burnt beyond repair as were the pots...despite providing several serving dishes and hot pads that they could have used.

I sent Airbnb pictures of the table..pictures of the pans and an estimate for the table replacement which was prorated for the 3 years i owned it.

I also gave them statements from me and my cleaning staff. 

The response was my claim was denied and that it was their final decision. 😡

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Extraordinarily poor business decision on Airbnb's part. They apparently are so guest-centric now that they don't mind losing quality hosts who give Airbnb a good name, as long as the guest (who has no investment in the platform at all) are happy. Wow.

@Rebecca181    Right, bc hosts are just sitting around looking for ways to dupe guests into buying us new furniture. Makes so much sense that longtime hosts want to be needlessly charging innocent guests for things that aren’t at all damaged

@Kelly149 Yeah, it's kind of like a grade B horror film: Suddenly, all around the world all of us super nice Super Hosts transform into evil, mercenary vampires determined to drain their guests financially and take them for all they've got. 

Pass the popcorn!