Host Advisory Board Spotlight: Sam shares his work on diversity and inclusion

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Host Advisory Board Spotlight: Sam shares his work on diversity and inclusion

Colin588_0-1684269624837.png

We’re back with another Spotlight on one of the members of the Host Advisory Board, and this time we’re featuring @Samuel604

Fun facts about Sam:

• Sam is a hard-working educator, teaching high school students in Philadelphia.
  • Sam has had a varied career, from getting an MBA, to running his own business, and even volunteering as part of the Peace Corps in Botswana.
  • His Sunday tradition is making soup for guests (yummm!).

Sam’s focus within the HAB has been around diversity and inclusion, and what better time to focus on his work than on the eve of Juneteenth, a day which recognizes the end of slavery in the U.S. From policy to product updates, the HAB have been working behind the scenes on initiatives to promote inclusion and help make everyone welcome on the platform: ‘For me, part of being a welcoming Host is thinking about what would make me more comfortable as a guest and offering that.’ 

How has your hosting experience helped you to learn more about other people and cultures?

Take a look at the Resource Center article to find out more about Sam and the HAB’s work.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

6 Replies 6
Samuel604
Host Advisory Board Member
Philadelphia, PA

@Stephanie thanks for the spotlight.  I wanted to share this piece with the community.  It's a short video produced by Kaitlyn Rodriguez, a  talented high school filmmaker in Philadelphia. .  Kaitlyn interviewed me and 2 other  black educators in Philadelphia. I appreciate how she depicts what Black Teacher Generational Activism looks like. I am curious what activism and advocacy looks like for other folks in our Airbnb community? 

Nice piece @Stephanie along with the resource center article!  Thank you @Samuel604 for your service here as a HAB member, your world outreach and volunteerism in Batswana and your lifetime dedication to helping make Philadelphia, the US and far away lands better and safer homes for all.   

My personal commitment to influence directions our nation, state and locality is moving has always been and is solely based on the Golden Rules and the oath I took in 1984 (and many times after) to protect and defend the constitution of our nation.   Not just as good reading in the library but a document that should and must empower us to be and achieve all we can be regardless of demography and restrict none that are citizens of this great nation.  That means living a life that attempts to promote Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to all others that seek to do the same face to face on a daily basis. 

Its very hard to change or even trust the rest of the world from Rural tiny-town Munnsville NY but my wife Melodie and I do our best to try with each and every interaction we have with friends, neighbors, coworkers, visitors and guests from near and far.   "All politics is local" someone once said, (one could easily replace the word politics with activism).  I believe both and to take them a step further, I truly feel if we all tried extra hard to fix the screwed up things we saw with our own eyes and heard with our own ears that were unacceptable around us- our neighborhoods, cities and nation would be much better places for all.  It sound simplistic and not nearly as visible nationally, no catchy slogans or $10,000 a plate dinners with a "special guest" photo op but it works every day in my life and it's the best  I can give and be sure  its not doing more damage than good. 

Stay well Sir and keep up your great works (and soup Sundays!!!), JR

Did I miss the link for the video? I'm not seeing it here.

Samuel604
Philadelphia, PA

@Christine615  I think the video link it not allowed on this Thread. It did not post. Not sure if we are FB friends but  I shared it on there. Hope you are staying well, Cheers  

Anna1403
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Newgale, United Kingdom

@Samuel604 you are such a tonic! An incredible human and all round inspiration! I see great activism and advocacy, the kind that really makes a difference, starting at the grass roots, fuelled by passion and love - and inclusive in its education rather than alienating.  And education is the key! It can be a fine line at times especially if it's an issue you feel pretty angry about, but I think so important. And try not to be phased, there are so many huge umbrella issues right now 'COVID', 'climate crisis', 'discrimination' etc etc, all with enormous global impact and it can be easy to feel sad and think 'what's the point', 'what good can I do'. But always remember you can make a difference - so much of the work I do, especially environmentally - has education at a hyper local level at the heart of it 👍  and always, always, involve the kids, they bring the future and the light!

Samuel604
Philadelphia, PA

Yasss, @Anna1403 , the fire the light.. .  I so appreciate working alongside of you and all the other amazing HAB members. Let's keep belonging...