Host Availablity at night

Answered!
Dean-And-Stacey0
Level 4
Asheville, NC

Host Availablity at night

Hi Everyone,

Our rental is 30 minutes from our home, so we are offsite hosts (obviously). 

I normally shut down my phone around 9 or 10pm.  And then turn it back on at 6:30am.  My question is, do other hosts do this?  Or are you available 24/7 in case something happens?  I haven't found a way to keep my phone on for only Airbnb emergencies.

There was a water main break last night in the neighbourhood, and our guests texted at 11 pm to ask why there was no water.  I didn't receive the message until this morning. 

Thanks for any input.

1 Best Answer
Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Dean-And-Stacey0   

1) No on the refund.  The water was off over night, when most people would be asleep anyway.  You could send them something, chocolates, a fruit basket, bottle of wine if you want.  How much would you refund for water off for 12 hours?

2) No.  We tell people when we check in that we're generally available from around 9am-10pm in terms of answering messages, that sets the expectation, although I've had people who ignored, such as getting a text at 12:30 asking if we had a printer the guest could borrow?  Um,  yeah, I do, but not at that hour, LOL. 

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Dean-And-Stacey0
Level 4
Asheville, NC

The water is back on again at 8am.  And the guests were really kind about the whole thing.  Another question, do we need to offer any sort of refund?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Dean-And-Stacey0   

1) No on the refund.  The water was off over night, when most people would be asleep anyway.  You could send them something, chocolates, a fruit basket, bottle of wine if you want.  How much would you refund for water off for 12 hours?

2) No.  We tell people when we check in that we're generally available from around 9am-10pm in terms of answering messages, that sets the expectation, although I've had people who ignored, such as getting a text at 12:30 asking if we had a printer the guest could borrow?  Um,  yeah, I do, but not at that hour, LOL. 

@Mark116  Thanks for your reply.  I like your idea about setting the expectation and letting guests know what times you are available.  We will add that to our communications.

As far as the refund, I should have mentioned that they arrived late last night.  The wife was able to take a shower, but not the husband and kids, and they had no additional sink water, etc.  I was originally thinking $25-$50.  My husband thinks $20.  I do think that they were impacted, but they've been very gracious about it all.  They are paying a premium summertime weekend price, so I just wanted to make sure they were satisfied.  Still unsure of what to do.  They check out in a few days, so we have time to think about it.

@Dean-And-Stacey0  $20 might be insulting, even if that is all that is warranted, I would say, better to spend $20 on a gift basket that might look like you spent more than $20 on it....or $50 if you're refunding them.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Dean-And-Stacey0 

My phone is not glued to me. Many times I will get messages and booking in the middle of the night and I don't hear them, therefore don't wake up. I don't lose sleep over it (literally.) For guests who are arriving late, I message them in the evening and tell them to call me if they have any trouble checking-in (and I will turn the ringer up on my phone on those nights.) I would hope that if there was a real emergency, the guest would call and wake me up instead of sending a piddly text message. 

You may consider keeping your phone on but leaving it in another room and asking guests to specifically call between the hours for 10 pm and 6 am if there is an emergency pertaining to the house. I am all for disconnecting from your cell phone but I would want to know if my house was burning down at 3 am.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I give guests an emergency number and make it clear that all communications should be kept on Airbnb and that the number is for them to contact me for genuine emergencies such as issues with utilities, flooding to the property etc.

I always make sure I keep my mobile with me from about 8 a.m. - 11 p.m.

@Helen3  Emergency number?  Can you tell me more.  That's intriguing.  Is it attached to your mobile phone?  My issue with my cell phone, is that if I keep it on, I will get calls and texts all night long from friends and family in multiple time zones.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I get a lot of booking inquiries and requests at all hours of the night. It amazes me that folks are up, and placing requests at 1am !

Although I keep my phone next to me, it blocks certain incoming messages between 10pm and 6am. 

I leave a notice for guests that I am available to respond to requests between 7am and 9pm, except in case of emergency.

For someone checking in after I have gone to bed, I tell them to call me if they have any issues checking in.

My last miserable review came from someone who sent me a sarky message regarding an issue with the TV, at 7.30pm on a Sunday night, the last night of a 5-day stay, while I was out at dinner. The only communication from her during the entire stay. I did my best to respond to her via messaging, but couldn't rush back to help at that moment. 3 stars for that.    Clearly, she'd been having personal issues throughout the trip based on the review (weather was one - it rained a lot that week, and lack of a coffee maker and toaster was another, although my listing does not indicate a kitchen is available). But, of course, the host is responsible for the entire experience.  😞

She did not ask for any refund, and I did not offer any.

@Michelle53

I'll have to figure out how to block certain messages.  I usually turn my phone off, otherwise I will get texts and phone calls from friends and family in all different time zones.  I guess I need to do more research on that.

@Dean-And-Stacey0  Depending on what kind of phone you have, there are "do not disturb" settings you can enable which may help. 

@Michelle53Thanks for your response.  Your suggestions are helpful.

I don't think the host is responsible for the entire experience 😳 Sounds like that woman was a handful!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Dean-And-Stacey0  Please do not offer a refund of any kind.  @Mark116's suggestion of a nice little gift will suffice.  Let's not train guests to expect refunds for the slightest inconvenience.  For the good of all of us.

@Ann72You make a good point about the refund.  I hear you.  A gift feels a little weird from my point of view.  We live 30 minutes away.  I wouldn't want to drop by and interrupt their stay to give them a gift.  They were really nice about it.  I think I'll just leave it as is.

@Dean-And-Stacey0  Perfect.  I’ve never given a gift and only once in 6 years have offered a refund.  I apologize and get it taken care of fast.  Guests are usually fine with that and even, as you say, perfectly lovely about it.