Host Availablity at night

Answered!
Dean-And-Stacey0
Level 4
Asheville, NC

Host Availablity at night

Hi Everyone,

Our rental is 30 minutes from our home, so we are offsite hosts (obviously). 

I normally shut down my phone around 9 or 10pm.  And then turn it back on at 6:30am.  My question is, do other hosts do this?  Or are you available 24/7 in case something happens?  I haven't found a way to keep my phone on for only Airbnb emergencies.

There was a water main break last night in the neighbourhood, and our guests texted at 11 pm to ask why there was no water.  I didn't receive the message until this morning. 

Thanks for any input.

1 Best Answer
Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Dean-And-Stacey0   

1) No on the refund.  The water was off over night, when most people would be asleep anyway.  You could send them something, chocolates, a fruit basket, bottle of wine if you want.  How much would you refund for water off for 12 hours?

2) No.  We tell people when we check in that we're generally available from around 9am-10pm in terms of answering messages, that sets the expectation, although I've had people who ignored, such as getting a text at 12:30 asking if we had a printer the guest could borrow?  Um,  yeah, I do, but not at that hour, LOL. 

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dean-And-Stacey0  I'll add my vote to no refund. We need to train guests to be adaptable to situations outside the host's control, not think that they'll have money throw at them for any small inconvenience. A refund doesn't help the father and kids to have had a shower last night.

If the water was off for an entire day, that might be different, but overnight, when they were asleep for most of that time, isn't some huge impact.

As far as phone calls- I wouldn't shut my phone off, in case there really is an emergency situation, but I would make it clear to guests that you are available by phone for non-emergencies from XX hr- YY hr. and make a short list of what constitutes an emergency- it's not that they can't find the spatula.

(just in case you think that's an absurdity that would never happen, there was a post here from a home-share host whose guest knocked on her bedroom door at 2AM to say that she couldn't find the hair dryer)

@Sarah977Thanks for your "vote" 😀 You and a couple of other responders to this post make a good point.  My husband was against any kind of refund as well.  And we are updating our emergency availability policy.  Thanks for your input.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Dean-And-Stacey0 the DND features on your phone are your friend here. You control the settings and can even allow "breakthru" calls or not.

your abb isn't a hotel with a manned, 24 hour front desk, this is part of the deal. I'm glad your guest is being reasonable