Host Guarantee Refuses Our Claim Despite Proof

Explore-MTL0
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Host Guarantee Refuses Our Claim Despite Proof

A guest recently stayed in our loft and completely ruined several of our sheets sets, duvet covers, etc (over $700 worth). We held off making our claim at the beginning, as the review system encourages biases. If we were to make our claim immediately - the guest would undoubtedly write a poor review for our profile.

After both reviews had been made, we inputted our claim. Airbnb is now refusing it. They are saying we were supposed to make the claim before the following guest checked in and that they would be closing the case. The matter is final. We were under the impression the host guarantee was up until 30 days? Any help with the matter?

22 Replies 22

Glad to know your claim was approved . I have actually bought the replacement for the linens already , but Airbnb didn’t accept the new receipts . Also the guest left a big burnt mark (as big as a palm) on my table in the balcony with cigarette. The guest not only made a damage she also broke my no smoking house rule which is also the condo building rule.   I am not in a hurry to buy a new table soon for the balcony since winter is coming. I did find one very similar online and sent the screen shot.   They still ask for original receipts , I had no idea what was in the case manager’s mind , I repeatedly told her that I didn’t have original receipts , the reply was almost the same, “if you need more time to gather the original receipts please let us know , or your case will be closed without payment blah blah ...”   I have been a long time Airbnb guest as well as a super host.  The treatment of this case makes me almost feel being betrayed. 

* I read again your post, I think your case being accepted was because you got the exact replacement. I could Not find exact replacement.  Products can be discontinued especially Linens . But that doesn’t mean my damaged items have no value , they need to have a better way to evaluate the value of the damaged items . 

@Ricky39  That is incredibly rotten.  I'm really sorry to hear it.  Now I'm wondering how this claim got through.  I put it through first to the guest, and when she refused to pay, Airbnb stepped in and paid.  To say I was shocked is an understatement.

Airbnb just closed my case without any payment “ZERO “, citing no original receipts. Well , no original receipts doesn’t mean no value on all the items damaged by my guest. What about the cost for my Cleaner’s more than 12 hours working on fixing all the mess the guest created. And where is my $500 security deposit that I requested upon each confirmed reservation? Worst Airbnb experience after being with them for so many years . I can’t believe Airbnb can be so bad in handling my case . 

I am asking for a 2nd review , I don’t hope much . But will see what happens . 

I recently had guests leave the entire home messy, dirty and they damaged furniture/goods. I only had a certain number of hours (recommended you not enter the space immediately) to clean (with the new cleaning protocol) and get the home in some type of decent order prior to the next guest arrival. That was my priority. I submitted my claim within the 14 day window with photos (time stamped), documentation, and original receipts. It was denied because it was not received prior to the next guest check-in. They then suggested I go after the "Airbnb" guest myself. Airbnb should revisit this policy due to the new cleaning protocol in place. I need to re-access and decide if all of the effort and cost is worth it. Airbnb is not the only rental platform available to guests and hosts. It's frustrating and I'm disappointed.

@Explore-MTL0 

1. experienced hosts have reported over and over again that you MUST start the process before the next guest checks in. If you don’t the previous guest can claim they didn’t cause the damage it must be the new guest. That’s been an established policy for years. Which means working fast to document if someone else is checking in right away. 

2.  Hosts have got to stop worrying about bad reviews. The guest can’t see your review until they post one. Second if you file a claim against the guest there’s a good chance Airbnb will not allow them to leave a review because it’s retaliatory.  Even if they left one you can leave a public rebuttal  that future guests can see.

Hosts have got to start protecting themselves better. If there is damage then start the process immediately, send an email with photos to the guest so that Airbnb can see it, and then file for reimbursement from the guest  through the resolution center. If they don’t pay then Airbnb will get involved. But you can’t skip steps.

@Ricky39  I've just read @Christine615's answer above.  Note that she says "you can't skip steps."  I think that's the reason I got paid.  I put the resolution through to the guest first.  They stepped in after she refused to pay.

Thank you for the follow up, I did follow those steps . 

So glad. So many hosts are reporting issues getting paid and have to escalate it, sometimes more than once. I have noted that Airbnb has stopped bragging about the Host Guarantee. When a customer service rep called me (two weeks after a guest and I couldn't get her booked on the platform) they said they were putting rules in place to block "certain" people (mostly under 25) because they didn't want the liability for damages.

I found that telling. Of course that stellar vetting for people over 25 is often minimal at best.

Sigh.