Host Guarantee

Answered!
Kristin1107
Level 2
Rapid City, SD

Host Guarantee

Has anyone else had a terrible experience, and had AIRBNB refuse to rectify the situation? 

In my many years as a superhost, I have never filed a damage claim.  But in this case, the damage is around $1400 and AIRBNB is just refusing to cover damages, even though evidence of damage along with receipts has been provided.

VERY unhappy superhost here.

1 Best Answer
Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Kristin1107 @Susan1188 @Lorna170 @Pat271

I'm not sure if You have ever fully read the terms of the host guarantee. One of the stipulations is:

• VI. Airbnb provides Hosts with the Airbnb Host Guarantee benefits described herein solely for the purpose of promoting use of the Airbnb Platform by building customer loyalty and strengthening customer confidence as to use of the Airbnb Platform.

Do You understand the term „solely“? The purpose of the host guarantee is not to pay for damages, the sole and only purpose is to „strenghten customer confidence as to use the Airbnb Platform“. The customers are we, the hosts.

Every time we get a booking request we should feel confident to accept it. That's all the host guarantee is for.

View Best Answer in original post

51 Replies 51
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

The lack of a real security deposit and the disqualification of verified damage claims are well-known, significant problems with Airbnb. I don’t understand why they can’t at least offer some kind of group travel insurance to guests, or collect a real security deposit. There must be some challenges to all of this on their end, although it might just be that their policy is to do everything possible not to p*ss off guests.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Pat271 

You know the answer to that Pat as well as I do. If Airbnb actually collected a security deposit or offered some sort of travel insurance it would frighted guests away from the platform, they would book somewhere else.

The mention of a security deposit is simply a red herring to lull hosts into some sort of false sense of security. 

There is no practical reason to say anything about a security deposit if you are not going to collect it, and even further, forbid hosts from collecting it, it simply becomes a myth, a sales pitch.

I cannot recall once on any of my Airbnb bookings as a guest that there was any mention of a security deposit. I have never been asked to agree to make available up to a certain limit in the event of a host claim. Guests as far as I know are completely unaware that a security deposit exists, and that is why Airbnb almost unanimously side with the guest and refuse hosts claim against this nebulous deposit.

Travel insurance is entirely different from the HPS Pat. Insurance requires the payment of a premium to cover a defined risk! Airbnb are not going to ask their guests for more money, they are not going to even hint at it. The HPS is an ironclad way to say you are offering protection when you are not.

Claims are subject to adjudication, wear and tear and how the case manager felt when he got out of bed that morning. I am aware of many hosts who had a legitimate claim refused, I am also aware of many hosts who had a claim accepted but received less than 10% of the amount they had claimed. 

Can you imagine insuring your vehicle, having it totaled in an accident, and getting reimbursed for the cost of a new tyre. That is conceivably what can happen with the HPS!

Cheers.........Rob

Kristin1107
Level 2
Rapid City, SD

Thank you - this is the first validation I've received at all.  I've referred a lot of people to host with AIRBNB, but not sure now that I know the "host guarantee" is nothing but a false sense of security.   I've tried all channels to escalate my complaint too, and it has done me no good. The support line 'is unable to give answers'.  The 'special team' that is considering my dispute is not responding now.  I suppose they're waiting for the claim deadline to expire - so that can be the next reason to deny the claim.

Guess I'll get more active with VRBO.  Not sure if it's any better - but maybe?

@Kristin1107   Be aware that VRBO also does not collect a damage deposit, and their host insurance is essentially only to protect you from damages that the guest causes to OTHER properties, not your own.  Everyone who rents through an OTA needs to have their own excellent insurance coverage; do not rely on an OTA to reimburse you for guest damages. 

I don't even understand when the "host guarantee" would work...
If you have a written confession from the guest that he broke something, plus receipts plus it was new plus an estimate to replace it, but then the guest refuses to pay for it.  I guess that is the only scenario where you're getting something from that host guarantee.

I would love to see the statistics, how many host claims introduced and how much paid out.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Susan1188 

In our (hopefully the last) last house trashing, the guest openly admitted it. They just didn't agree with the facturas for repairs, replacements, and cleaning, and refused to pay. Despite irrefutable photo evidence of everything, and an admission from the guest, Airbnb apparently agreed. Case closed. Sorry. 

I don't even bother with the "host guarantee" anymore. I handle it my own way 🤔

I also work with VRBO and they do collect a security deposit and I return it at the end of the stay.  Which I feel gives me a little more control.  I have never had to complain or ask for some of the money for repairs but its nice that the customer knows its the Host that authorizes the return of the deposit.  Gives incentive for them to be good to your home, I think.

@Lisa6115   Lisa I'm wondering if you are correct and what market you are in? Because VRBO has eliminated the security deposit since over a year.  it is now symbolic too like the airbnb one.  Worse than symbolic, it is the "maximum you can claim".  And no hold taken on the card.  So if the guest leaves damage (and they know they did), all they have to do is zap that credit card and you'll never get anything.

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

Personally, we do not collect a damage deposit but I know another Superhost who adds it to her house rules and upon guest arrival, she collects cash. She returns it upon inspection at check out. Not sure if this is allowed or not but I know she does it and is very successful.

We have been very lucky with our guests so far and have never had a problem. @Kristin1107 I hope Airbnb helps you out as they advertise. 

Jorge

I have also been lucky up until now, guests have been GREAT!  In this one instance, it does not look like AIRBNB is going to back up the claim.  So, I might have to start collecting a deposit as well.

Collecting cash guarantee on arrival is completely against terms of service.

Also, I really wonder how she does this in my experience people don't read anything, it's very difficult to engage them after booking, if I asked for such a thing I'm not sure how many would just not respond (and then be confused or furious on arrival)...

Apparently you could however ask for the deposit thru resolution request (all documented and above board on the app)...   

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Kristin1107 ,

Sorry to hear your experience and understand your’re frustrated.

The Alrbnb deposit is not the ‘ real deposit’.

The short answer is that as an Airbnb host, you do need additional insurance.

Hosting with any real frequency is likely to void your current homeowners policy, and Airbnb's own protection is inadequate.

Unfortunately, standard homeowners, insurance can get extremely tricky when dealing with Airbnb rentals due to the business exculan language in standard policies. Which means in most cases it will not be authorize.

The Host Protection Insurance acts as primacy coverage, so other insurance policies will not be used for claims that are covered under the program.

As an Airbnb host, it's crucial that you have plenty of Protection, as you are having many people come in and out of your renl. While normally things run smoothly, you do not want to run in the issue of an incident occurring and have to deal with the stressful aftermath.

Having the appropriate insurance safeguards, you against these kind of solutions that the Airbnb oragrams do not fully protect against. It's is important to find what works best for you.

The Proper Insurance. 

In the Airbnb help page, where you’ll find articles such as the below.

Host Guaranteed

https://www.airbnb.com/d/guarantee

Host Protection Insurance

https://www.airbnb.com/d/host-protection-insurance

What's the difference between Airbnb's Host Guarantee and Host Protection Insurance?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/938/whats-the-difference-between-airbnbs-host-guarantee-and-host...

Investopedia

Investopedia is the world's leading source of financial content on the web, ranging from market news to retirement strategies, investing education to insights from advisor

Airbnb: Advantages and Disadvantage

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/032814/pros-and-cons-using-airbnb.asp

Do consult with your local insurance agency for additional protection and the insurance procedures.

I hope Airbnb will contact you soon to updated your concern.

Kristin1107
Level 2
Rapid City, SD

Thanks for the input. I understand all of this, my problem is with Airbnb‘s host guarantee. It is worthless.

Even following all of the required guidelines and providing all of the evidence to submit a claim, they deny it. So they should stop calling it a host guarantee.

My problem is when they brag "Damage almost never happens!  We never get any claims"

Of course most things don't get claimed because of the extortionist review policy.  The rest doesn't get claimed because people know it's not worth the effort or time to try.