Host Home Trade for Vacation should be not just Allowed but Supported by AirBnB - Here's Why & How

Carolyn16
Level 3
Groveland, CA

Host Home Trade for Vacation should be not just Allowed but Supported by AirBnB - Here's Why & How

AirBnB Hosts deserve a vacation too, we work hard and our work makes money for AirBnB.

AirBnB Hosts should be able to use the AirBnB system to trade homes for vacation purposes. 

AirBnB could make money from providing this service by charging a nominal transaction fee for Host Trades that are agreed upon. 

AirBnB could add add a field for "HOST trade Yes/No" to their listing details, and a way for HOSTS ONLY to search by this info.

AirBnB could give Hosts a way to contact each other outside of the Inquiry/Booking system, so reply/timliness stats are not affected. 

AirBnB could remove the block on putting email or phone info into message, when the message is between 2 Hosts.

AirBnb could still block advertising type messages, or just give Hosts a way to block other Hosts who spam them with sales info.

AirBnB Hosts deserve more support, we work hard and our work makes money for AirBnB. 

24 Replies 24
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Not a bad idea, @Carolyn16, but doing it through the usual channels works well already, I think. I "trade" with a host three hours away - I need to be in the big city sometimes, and she likes to get out to the countryside sometimes - and we just book as usual through Airbnb. My place is approximately the same price as hers, so it is an in-and-out transaction. Yes, Airbnb gets its cut, but it is providing a pretty huge service - worldwide advertising and payment collection. She and I would never have met without it. 

There are other actual house swap sites if anyone is really interested in pure home trading.

If you are very keen on your idea, put it up in Host Voice (dropdown from Discuss at the top of this page), and see what happens. You may get loads of support and the ear of the developers.

All the best! 

Just do the transaction at whatever the minimum is through a special offer.

Win win.

David
Jason843
Level 3
Massachusetts, United States

Are you saying you make money being a host?  We need to talk.  I need to figure out how to do that.

Kassie-and-Peter0
Level 2
Port Townsend, WA

We love this idea, and have no problem with Airbnb making a small fee on this. It's a great share economy barter idea. What a great way for hosts to take a break and get one more perk for being great hosts! The details you have outlined are good. How can we get this message to Airbnb? 

Hi! Have you traded with anyone yet?  Any updates to your post?  I, too, have been thinking of this and YES what a good way for Airbnb to show their appreciation!  I would love to getaway from hosting work and relax for a minute!

Bobby38
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

I Thought of this idea as soon as I started hosting back in June. 

Airbnb can charge a fee but some how create another app for just host to trade their space. I have personally not profited from my property. I’ve just maintained it. Almost considering quitting and getting full time rental but if I could use it for trade! 

Possibilty of my travel becoming that much cheaper! Would be worth it. 

How can we make this happen?

Gracia8
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

I too am thinking this would be a great idea, and I would gladly pay a fee to participate.

Graciela90
Level 2
Kerrville, TX

I have a place in Kerrville , Texas on the Guadalupe River and would love to trade with another host.  I would be all for airbnb getting a fee for providing a host to host setup.

Mario583
Level 1
Escondido, CA

Im looking for place in big bear in dec. I have a place in Pacific beach. Now is a good time for Pacific beach.

Gary363
Level 1
Lunenburg, MA

Great idea.. is it possible to create a listing titled: host to host trade-“location” or something similar? Once it catches on more and more hosts may join in. Has AirBNB provided any feedback? Or are they sitting back and resting on their success. I heard a pod cast about their beginnings and supposedly they continue to maintain a small and growing company mentality. This would be a great way to create even more host loyalty.

Suzanne439
Level 2
Cape Coral, FL

I was looking to trade too.  I started a Facebook page called ‘Airbnb trades’ 

Fort Lauderdale anyone? 

Martin3225
Level 1
Pacifica, CA

It's a great idea! I'm looking to trade my 3-2 condo in south lake Tahoe. My wife and I and our newborn are going to Maui on April 16-24th 2020. Anyone looking to trade?

Jesica22
Level 2
Utah, United States

@Martin3225 Did you ever make it Maui with all the Covid stuff?  I have a condo in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island I would trade. Small one bath one bedroom. Of course currently you have to have a 14 day quarantine. But when this is all over we would love to trade with someone. I think it’s a great idea!! Although, ours is  listed under our property manager. I think I could still work it out with an owners block . 

I'm looking to trade with someone who hosts in ALABAMA OR FLORIDA...my rental is in Kemah Tx,  between Houston and Galveston.