Host Protection

Bessie13
Level 2
New York, NY

Host Protection

Hi everyone! I have been an Airbnb host, off and on, from 2014. This year we decided to list our vacation home in the Catskills to help offset some of the maintenance costs. On our listing we have 3 rules that we have imposed penalties on; no parties/events, no smoking, no pets. I’ve had two separate guests break these rules with no consequence. I had ring videos that clearly show all these rules being broken and videos that my husband took when he went to break up one of the parties. Airbnb does not enforce these penalties and from what I’ve been reading a security deposit cannot be used for penalties either. Anyone have any suggestions how we, as hosts, can protect ourselves? Airbnb obviously doesn’t care about protecting the hosts. Have hosts tried uniting to address certain flaws within the Airbnb platform/system? 

8 Replies 8
Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Bessie13 Sean from Airbnb Automated has this youtube video on how he gets Airbnb to enforce broken house rules. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvjH_bxkC78

Jorge

Tank you so much Jorge! I will definitely check it ou.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bessie13 "Have hosts tried uniting to address certain flaws within the Airbnb platform/system?"

That's pretty amusing. You really should  spend some time on this forum reading posts. Hosts have been making suggestions to Airbnb, sending feedback and railing against their guest-centric attitude and policies for years. 

Sarah,

What is the different of host protection and the deposit?

Also, I just about hear the host guarantee In other post?

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

@Bessie13 It drives me crazy that Airbnb does not stand behind their own rules when when it comes to the hosts. I had a similar issue recently that I posted about. The video posted above by @Angelica-Y-Jorge0 is worth watching. I'm considering doing it on my listing although last week was the first time in over 150 bookings that I have ever had a guest have a party. lots of cleaning and extra trash. I just ended up not saying anything because I didn't want a bad review.  After that I added a note to my pre-booking message stating, "Reservations booked must be booked by the person staying. Entertaining of any kind is not allowed." 

Thanks Jorge! That video highlighted some very important aspects.

Having had some police show up to our listing.... I had a heck of a time getting even the required deposit from a couple guest stays and had to keep the pressure with AirBnb to release the funds and payout. I would highly advise others to require a deposit fee and absolutely update your RULES to include any additional charges for anything you can tactfully include. You can even include a specified fee for late check-out, washing dishes, or say $100 per day on the smoking fee. So long as you have it clearly in your rules, you will see better results in the form of a payout.

Here is I have my additional rules set up:

#1 - Please Clean Up Dishes
• If you use any dishes during your stay, we would be grateful if you would clean them. This would be of great help.

#2 - Number of Guests
• Ensure total guests matches that on your booking. If you have more guests than what you have booked for, you will not be covered under Airbnb Insurance. This is bad for everyone!
Also, Portland City mandate only allows 5 guests in any 2-bedroom short-term vacation rental. We are happy to set-up an airbed and linens upon request in the living room area. For any guest past 4, you will incur an additional $15/night fee.

#3 - Lights & Heating
• We would really appreciate if you could turn off all lights and heating when you leave the apartment each day, and on check out.

#4 – Take care not to damage property
• We hope you have a great stay and are thankful you will take care not to scratch pans, stain linens or damage furniture. If you leave stains on blankets or sheets, please let us know. There is a stain stick for laundry under the kitchen sink that you may apply, too.

#5 – No Smoking In the Property
• Feel free to visit a dispensary, however, all smoking is allowed only outside. Chong your bong or roll a spliffy, just keep it all outside. If you would like an ashtray for outside, let us know. Any smoking indoor will result in a $100 charge.

#6 - Check Out is 12pm
• Our cleaner will arrive shortly after 12pm-noon to clean the property. We can’t stop her, she is a cleaning machine.

#7 - Leaving a very dirty apt or damages at check out
Excessive cleaning and damage will incur fees only as necessary. We have standard extensive cleaning done between each and every guest. If you check out and leave it really messy, that means our maid needs to be compensated for extra work at a livable wage. This rarely happens and we hate to pass the fees onto you and will only do so if absolutely necessary. Extra cleaning fees beyond our standard start at $50/hour.

#8 - We love animals, however, no pets are allowed.
As stated above, our apartment is a pet-free site. Any guest who brings an animal into the stay will incur a fee of $75/animal per day. Fido makes for an amazing best friend, but not in an apt with shag style soft carpeting!

#9 - Local laws
Local city ordinances require us to keep all guest names for any booking.

Cheers fellow Hosts - this is a good topic.

Kristine

Where do you fit all that?  There were character limits when I set up my additional rules.  Just had an obnoxious guest who smoked inside against the clearly stated rules, and of course, no assistance from Airbnb 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

There is no "host protection" or "Host Guarantee". Not on Airbnb, not on any other platform.

The >guest< (buyer) is the one paying the money. Shareholders understand at least that much. And shareholders are more important than either guests or hosts. 

Hosts? Tell them whatever they want to hear. Just get as many as possible, so we offer more value and choice to paying buyers. 

It's the nature of the beast. As a host, you're on your own. Get used to it. And watch your back.