Host Referral Bonus. If you received less than advertised, this could help.

Peter1247
Level 1
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Host Referral Bonus. If you received less than advertised, this could help.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share a grueling story on how I possible stumbled upon a system bug and the long process it took for me to actually receive the full amount of Host Referral Bonus from a couple months back. 

In September I was very happy to see a bonus of $360 offered if you refer a friend as a host and just as it happened, a close friend was opening up her house for guests. Signed her up and got the first eligible booking (needs to be over $100 before taxes). All good, I could see in my Dashboard that there was a Bonus "in progress". 

Time comes, the guest checks out, the status of that Bonus changes to something like "Processing payment" - and I was advised it may take 2-3 weeks to do so. No problem. But then one day I got a notification and an instant transfer of $300 came in. Only $300. Went into my Dashboard, it said $300. It was also advertising $300 now. Checked the terms, it was all $300. 

Long story short, while the payment of $360 was being processed, I lost my Superhost status. And based on other conversations here, Superhosts have different bonuses and are awarded 20% more. The missing $60 was exactly the missing 20%. So basically the system didn't take into account that the sign-up, the check-in and even check-out happened while I still had Superhost status, and only checked on my status when the payment was being sent. Took a long time to get to this conclusion with AirBnb because anytime Support checked the Terms, even those show $300. Eventually, just today, I got the remaining $60 and they said they're looking into this error.

So if you received less than what you were expecting, and if you lost Superhost status just between this referral and payout, it's possible you're in the same shoes. I do fully understand that the Terms claim it's up to AirBnb how much you're getting. So they can choose for no reason to pay less. But just in case your issue matches mine, open up a Support ticket and see if you can claim your remaining bonuses 🙂

3 Replies 3
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Peter1247

Peter, I think you have done extremely well...they could only dock you $60...we are seeing posts here where the referral turned out to be $20 out of that promised 'pot of gold'!

I think that as you have lost your Superhost status (and that is another issue) you should take the money and be thankful that you are still relatively intact...and $300 better off than you would have been had you not referred that host.

Remember Peter, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing!!

Good on you, I think you have done well!

Cheers......Rob

PS: and just reading the end of your post, you got the remaning $60....Gee, you seem to be drawing a bit of a long bow here Peter!!

So what you are saying is it doesnt matter if Airbnb doesnt hold uop there end of the bargain? He deserved the whole thing.. It was offered and they should pay.. I am in the same boat awaiting payment. 

Jan394
Level 2
Penzance, United Kingdom

Hi..it's happening to me now.

I referred my friend..and was told as soon as she has her first payout I would receive my £92 bonus as advertised on the link I went through.

I've had nothing so far.

I am a superhost..but they are now telling me they can't find when it was done etc.

And on the chat helpline I was kept waiting for an hour or so..

Why are we being treated like this.?

My friend has had her payout..so I should have received my bonus.??