Host asking for a refund because I can't be there on Christmas Day to give them the keys

Daniela1
Level 1
Paris, France

Host asking for a refund because I can't be there on Christmas Day to give them the keys

Hello everyone,

I have a booking through airbnb starting on Christmas day. Of course I am spending the holidays in my family abroad and I cannot be there to welcome the host.

I wanted to send the keys by mail to the host and even told them that we could skype and meet when I came back home a few days after christmas.

I have several comments on my listings where some hosts say that even though I was not there to welcome them everything went fine and I was very reachable.

I have strict cancellation policies and I am a bit shocked by what they asked me!

Can they possibly ask for a refund? 

Thank you for your help

Daniele

5 Replies 5
Marcus0
Level 10
Berlin, DE

Of course the guest can cancel and they will pay a penalty to you to do this, that is good news for you.  I assume they have also read the reviews where previous guests have advised they did not get the keys of you directly but it all went fine.  Maybe you want to provide them several options including mailing, collecting from a neighbour or maybe you have a key dropbox service like hoard in your area they can use?  That would be fair options.  I see no reason to give them a refund.

@Daniela1 In the section on your listing "Interaction with guests", you should have made it clear that you would not be present. You should also have mentioned it in the exchanges that you had with the guest before the reservation was accepted. You can't count on guests reading your reviews to get this information. I would advise against sending your keys by mail. Can you ask a neighbour , friend or family member to greet them? Could the recent tragic events in Paris be the real reason they feel uncomfortable, if this is the case talk to them. You still have time to find new guests should they wish to cancel. Seek airbnb's help, these may count as extenuating circumstances view your location Canal st Martin near 11éme ?

Thank you for your answer, they were demanding that I'd be present before the attacks. I also told them that I could hire some one to welcome them but they wanted to see me personally .

Regards,

Daniele

Nuno-Y-Daniel0
Level 9
Porto, Portugal

You are renting your space and that doesn't mean you are responsible to welcome them, although is more trustfull. Like you are not responsible to make the cleaning yourself although you charge a clean fee...From my point of view it's clear a excuse to cancel a reservation. Let them cancel...and you are still on time for a 2nd run! It may be good news in fact. 

I would be suspicious that they have another reason to cancel and want you to take the blame. It's an unreasonable request, try not to worry about it and hopefully there is enough time to get another booking.